PDA

View Full Version : MCU: Which infinity stone would win in a fight?

S@tanicoaldo
2018-05-07, 02:15 PM
So a figth between six normal humans, each has one infinity stone, in your opinion who would win? And how?

JeenLeen
2018-05-07, 02:18 PM
If I recall correctly from some random article I read, each Infinity Stone is drawn to 1 (or 2) stones, and is empowered by another stone. Hence the infinite power loop when all stones are held. (Or however it works. I haven't seem the latest movies.)

Thus, I think it'd be partially based on if one of the people can get their 'empowering' stone quickly, giving them an edge over others who may acquire 2 stones.

Would the infinity stones impart any knowledge about how to use them, or what stone empowers them? For your scenario, are we assuming ignorance for the humans, that is, they wake up on a featureless but hospitable (livable air & temperature, normal gravity, etc.) with the stones, basic clothing, and a desire to fight?

GloatingSwine
2018-05-07, 02:21 PM
Well in the MCU they all just explode because baseline humans can't handle the Infinity stones.

In the comics, the Reality gem is explicitly the most powerful and dangerous. (That's why Thanos keeps it as his role in the Infinity Watch at the end of the Infinity Gauntlet, he's the only one who's learned sufficient wisdom not to abuse it).

FreddyNoNose
2018-05-07, 02:21 PM
So a figth between six normal humans, each has one infinity stone, in your opinion who would win? And how?

wouldn't normal humans blow up touching those stones?

S@tanicoaldo
2018-05-07, 02:24 PM
Ok, so they know how the stones work and they won't explode by using it becuase I dunno shi'ar technology or whatever.

The humans part was just to point out that they have no powers other than the stones.

FreddyNoNose
2018-05-07, 02:28 PM
so could the timestone guy surprise people by going back in time before they got the stone and make easy kills?

S@tanicoaldo
2018-05-07, 02:29 PM
so could the timestone guy surprise people by going back in time before they got the stone and make easy kills?

Sure, I guess that's possible since you control time. But doesn't that just create an alternative universe or timeline?

In the comics, the Reality gem is explicitly the most powerful and dangerous. (That's why Thanos keeps it as his role in the Infinity Watch at the end of the Infinity Gauntlet, he's the only one who's learned sufficient wisdom not to abuse it).

In the comics the reality gems is really hard to use, a lot of people asume the only limit is your imagination but they are wrong, only beings who have a superior intelect can use it, it's not a magical wish making machine it's a complex and hard to figure out thing, the collector who is a freaking elder the universe was uanble to comprehend it let alone use it.

https://lowbrowcomics.files.wordpress.com/2016/05/img_0688.jpg

FreddyNoNose
2018-05-07, 02:40 PM
Sure, I guess that's possible since you control time. But doesn't that just create an alternative universe or timeline?

https://lowbrowcomics.files.wordpress.com/2016/05/img_0688.jpg

If you are going to pull this BS and try to prove to everyone why you are so smart, I am done with your thread.

Tell us your answer?

Dr.Samurai
2018-05-07, 02:45 PM
What is the purview of the Reality Stone? It seems it might be able to do anything that the other stones could do, since Reality includes everything, I guess. But I suspect that likely isn't the case. So what is it supposed to be able to do?

The Time Stone is difficult to contend with, I would imagine. The Space Stone could conceivably put some arbitrary distance between you and anyone trying to harm you, or any projectile they launch at you. Or you could shield yourself with dimensional rifts? Or suck people into other realms? I don't know, you could teleport anywhere too right? Or Instant Transmission like Goku? What about the Soul Stone? Could you just dominate someone mentally that way? Change their heart so they give up the fight?

I'm not sure what the Power Stone does, or what the Mind Stone might do. These are off the cuff suggestions. I'll check out what wikipedia says about the Stones since I'm not familiar with them beyond the video games.

S@tanicoaldo
2018-05-07, 03:00 PM
If you are going to pull this BS and try to prove to everyone why you are so smart, I am done with your thread.

Tell us your answer?

Hey dude, calm down there is no rigth answer this is just a fun discussion I want to see the arguments that's all.

What is the purview of the Reality Stone? It seems it might be able to do anything that the other stones could do, since Reality includes everything, I guess. But I suspect that likely isn't the case. So what is it supposed to be able to do?

The Time Stone is difficult to contend with, I would imagine. The Space Stone could conceivably put some arbitrary distance between you and anyone trying to harm you, or any projectile they launch at you. Or you could shield yourself with dimensional rifts? Or suck people into other realms? I don't know, you could teleport anywhere too right? Or Instant Transmission like Goku? What about the Soul Stone? Could you just dominate someone mentally that way? Change their heart so they give up the fight?

I'm not sure what the Power Stone does, or what the Mind Stone might do. These are off the cuff suggestions. I'll check out what wikipedia says about the Stones since I'm not familiar with them beyond the video games.

I think the reality stone can alter everything that is not related to the other stones powers, so you can't use to alter the laws of time, basicly you can use to alter stuff into other stuff as long as they don't deal with mind, power, time etc...

Yeah the space stone could do all that, and I guess you could use it to really mess around with space, non-euclidean geometry and MC Escher stuff, creating things that are bigger on the isnide or corridors that are longer then possible, think Hyperbolic space in inception or doctor strange mirro dimension.

The soul stone is kind fo vague, in the hq it has the power to drain souls like that villan from Mortal Kombat.

Mind control would be more of a mind stone thing I guess.

I think the power stones gives you a lot of raw power, like energy control and super strength, a being using the power stone could beat the hulk in figth for exemple.

factotum
2018-05-07, 03:16 PM
I think the reality stone can alter everything that is not related to the other stones powers, so you can't use to alter the laws of time, basicly you can use to alter stuff into other stuff as long as they don't deal with mind, power, time etc...

Time stone still beats it, then, because you just go back in time to prevent the Reality Stone being used. Or even just trap yourself and the Reality Stone user in an infinite time loop, like Dr. Strange did in the movie.

Zurvan
2018-05-07, 03:21 PM
I can mind control you intro giving me the time and reality stone using my mind stone.

Mind stone FTW!

ben-zayb
2018-05-07, 06:42 PM
Time stone still beats it, then, because you just go back in time to prevent the Reality Stone being used. Or even just trap yourself and the Reality Stone user in an infinite time loop, like Dr. Strange did in the movie.
IIRC time loops would only ever work for beings that exist outside the normal time stream.

If Soul Stone works regardless of distance, then I'd put my money on a dude instakilling everyone with Soul Stone. Otherwise, I'd go with Reality Stone. Turn the other Infinity Stones to Lego or something

Then again, if Time Stone can stop time at all, even for a limited amount, then I'd put smart money on Time Stone instead immediately stopping time even before everyone gets to act , and then steal the other stones.

Basically, this FFA would be less battle and more rocket tag

Dr.Samurai
2018-05-07, 09:15 PM
Well, I think the premise is that Thanos needs all the stones and the gauntlet to insta-kill people across the universe, so I don't think the Soul Stone can do that on its own.

Okay, so looking at Wikipedia:

Soul Stone - Allows the user to steal, control, manipulate, and alter living and dead souls. The Soul Gem is also the gateway to an idyllic pocket universe. At full potential, the Soul Gem grants the user control over all life in the universe.

Time Stone - Allows the user to see into the past and the future; stop, slow down, speed up or reverse the flow of time; time travel; change the past and the future; age and de-age beings; and trap people or entire universes in unending loops of time. At full potential, the Time Gem grants the user omniscience and total control over the past, present, and future.

Space Stone - Allows the user to exist in any location; move any object anywhere throughout reality; warp or rearrange space; teleport themselves and others any place the user can imagine; increase their speed; and alter the distance between objects contrary to the laws of physics. At full potential, the Space Gem grants the user omnipresence.

Mind Stone - Allows the user to enhance their mental and psionic abilities and access the thoughts and dreams of other beings. At full potential, when backed by the Power Gem, the Mind Gem can access all minds in existence simultaneously. The Mind Gem is also the manifestation of the universal subconscious.

Reality Stone - Allows the user to fulfill their wishes, even if the wish is in direct contradiction with scientific laws, and do things that would normally be impossible; and create any type of alternate reality the user wishes. At full potential, when backed by the other Gems, the Reality Gem allows the user to alter reality on a universal scale.

Power Stone - Allows the user to access and manipulate all forms of energy; enhance their physical strength and durability; enhance any superhuman ability; and boost the effects of the other five Gems. At full potential, the Power Gem grants the user omnipotence.

Anteros
2018-05-08, 06:50 AM

Tell us your answer?

Man, you are just all over this forum being hostile to people lately. Everything ok at home?

Dienekes
2018-05-08, 12:36 PM
Each is an insta-kill nuke in its own way.

The answer is whichever human holding the stone is quicker on the draw.

Lord Joeltion
2018-05-08, 01:06 PM
Given that the Mind Stone could be used to "trick" the other users into believing they have won in a Dream Universe; I'd rather have that stone than the others.

Everyone is happy, therefore, I win. Wait, what is this Matrix you speak of? :smallconfused:

Silver Swift
2018-05-08, 03:05 PM

Aside from the guy who got stuck with the power stone, but yeah, this is clearly rocket tag.

Doorhandle
2018-05-09, 06:55 AM

I'd agree: so i'd give it to the time-stone user for being able to "draw" for this battle from the moment his opponents were born. :smallcool:

From the movie, it doesn't seem that the time stone actually allows true time travel however: time loops yes, and and reversing time for targeted areas yes, but none of the Dr.Who style "I'm now in medieval france" variety.

If that's out, the fastest draw is a tie between the time stone (speeding up your local time) and the space stone (can give it's owner super speed): The durability the power-stone gives isn't enough if you're trapped in a time loop or dropped into the sun, and the others won't be able to even fire a shot (so to speak) before being instagibbed. I think it may still go to time, however, because they could set up a loop and repeat the fight until they find an outcome in which they win.

The mind stone may get a pass if it can be used to speed up the owner's mind, but that may not allow them to use the stone faster as it only speeds up their mind.

Darth Ultron
2018-05-09, 12:31 PM
This is a question with no real answer.

If we ignore the fluff, it comes down to:

1.Who acts first.
2.How much skill and control they have over the stone...and how much imagination they have.

Amazon
2018-05-09, 01:17 PM
Didn't the evil wizards in Doctor Strange shrug off the effects of the time stone in the end of the movie? If mere wizards were able to do that, don't you guys think the Power stone user would be able to do the same?

Mando Knight
2018-05-10, 02:15 PM
Didn't the evil wizards in Doctor Strange shrug off the effects of the time stone in the end of the movie? If mere wizards were able to do that, don't you guys think the Power stone user would be able to do the same?

Strange didn't use infinite time loop spam against them (though he seems to save that as a last resort).

Dr.Samurai
2018-05-10, 02:28 PM
It does make you wonder though... what can you shrug off and how do you shrug it off.

Amazon is right that the sorcerers resisted the Reverse Time effect and shrugged it off. How did they do that? Could Dormammu? If it's just a matter of power I would say so, but maybe because he's unfamiliar with Time he doesn't know how to dispel the effect.

Still though, it would mean that guys like Thanos and his mooks could probably do it.

I'd say maybe the sorcerers in the movie cast a spell to help them avoid getting caught by the Time Stone's power.

ben-zayb
2018-05-10, 05:24 PM
As I already mentioned earlier, this all ends up in a rocket tag. I doubt the Space Stone user can superspeed up himself if he hasn't "drawn" his stone yet in the first place. Same for Time Stone. Basically, if you can already exploit the stone ability, then you probably have already activated it in the first place

For Mind Stone, can't its user mentally control people in the MCU?

For Reality Stone, if the user wins the rocket tag, there's about a bazillion ways to stop everyone else from activating their stone.

For Power Stone, I wouldn't say the user is autoscrewed, but it would be a very difficult goal. The user could "death beam" on a rocket tag, not unlike in GotG, but its effectiveness will depend on how fast it would take to disable, incapacitate, or kill the others.

Lemmy
2018-05-10, 06:50 PM
Well... The power stone supposedly contains and can manipulate all energy that there ever was, there is and there ever will be in the universe... So it could theoretically make people explode os just shoot a FTL energy beam of infinity energy and annihilate whoever it hits.

Also, IIRC, it's what powers the other gems, so there's that...

Then again, it's been quite a while since I read any comics with them, so I won't claim to be 100% sure of anything.

Amazon
2018-05-10, 08:13 PM
Loki used the mind stone to control minds yes, but he had to touch the targets.

I think the battle would go like this:

Time stone goes first since... Well... Time, as the other users start attacking she stops and rewind time, but she can only go after one stone user before they are able to get out of her effect, she goes after reality since that's the strongest, she kills the reality stone user and takes the stone, the others break free from the time effect.

Mind stone user controls someone, probably time since now she has two stones, she kills time and now she has three stones, soul and space go after her.

Power while the others are busy fighting she uses her power to kill all life in the planet, she wins but since, Spoiler alert for Infinity war: (Scarlet witch can use her energy to destroy an infinity stone, I believe power stone blast would destroy all the other stones).

Power stone wins but all the other stones are destroyed.

https://comicsheatinguppictures.files.wordpress.com/2017/09/image14.gif?w=640

Reddish Mage
2018-05-10, 08:37 PM
This is a question with no real answer.

If we ignore the fluff, it comes down to:

1.Who acts first.
2.How much skill and control they have over the stone...and how much imagination they have.

Yeah the problem is that ordinary humans can't handle infinity stones. You would have to have five equally powerful wielders...say five versions of Thanos who for some reason wants to destroy his other versions and their stones.

Strange didn't use infinite time loop spam against them (though he seems to save that as a last resort).

I think that loop is lacking as an all purpose "I win" button. It works well against Dormammu because Dormammu is used to living in a dimension that "lack time" and so is enraged by it. Quickly gives up.

It wouldn't work in Infinity War. Thanos would be willing to kill Dr. Strange over and over for eons and test whose mind will crack first. I think Thanos wins because he's already broke.

I think the battle would go like this:

Time stone goes first since... Well... Time, as the other users start attacking she stops are rewind time, but she can only go after one stone user before they are able to get out of her effect, she goes after reality since that's the strongest, she kills the reality stone user and takes the stone, the other break free from the time effect.

While speedster power would make sense for time...it hasn't been demonstrated. The time wielder is just as fast as everyone else. At best, can put them battle into an infinite loop...unless reality or space can create a way out of that.

I also don't think time has the power to destroy the stones unless the stones are subject to natural decay, which is what the time stone has been shown to be able to cause instantly (or reverse completely). Can work to destroy the other stone wielders, but at best works as well as any other user.

Mind control someone, probably time since now she has two stones, she kills time and now she has three stones, soul and space go after him.

Power meanwhile while the others are busy fighting she uses her power to kill all life in the planet, she wins but since, Spoiler alert for Infinity war: (Scarlet witch can use her energy to destroy an infinity stone, I believe power stone blast would destroy all the other stones).

Power stone wins but all the other stones are destroyed.

https://comicsheatinguppictures.files.wordpress.com/2017/09/image14.gif?w=640

So the thing is, mind control can control minds but not stones. Mind control another stone-user is probably a slower trigger than simply blasting with power. Power would win for simple blasting...but perhaps reality can warp things to be immune (indeed there is talk about the reality being most powerful as mentioned and could eliminate other stones powers...possibly including time), Space could perhaps move out of range (or create a pocket dimension which is out of range...), and time can bring itself back from the effect (maybe, did Dormammu ever try targeting the Eye of Agamotto).

So I think the fight may quickly move to a stalemate or a prolonged hunt and kill struggle. The only hope of the fight being over quickly is if reality is really the most powerful stone. Reality then imposes arbitrary conditions on how the universe and cause the stones to work wrong, destroying each other but leaving the reality stone intact.

Reality includes time, it includes space, it includes every other concept mentioned. Its shown to make the universe very cartoony when its used in Infinity War. I think it is raw win.

Dorath
2018-05-10, 08:45 PM
With six average joes and no training at all with the gems? Soul Gem pulls a subconscious rip on the others the moment the fight starts.

Amazon
2018-05-10, 08:52 PM
Yeah the problem is that ordinary humans can't handle infinity stones. You would have to have five equally powerful wielders...say five versions of Thanos who for some reason wants to destroy his other versions and their stones.

I think the Op said that they are all humans using powerful tecnology to use the stones, like Loki staff or something.

I think that loop is lacking as an all purpose "I win" button. It works well against Dormammu because Dormammu is used to living in a dimension that "lack time" and so is enraged by it. Quickly gives up.

We are not talking about Loops we are talking about the rewind time ability the stone has in the end of doctor strange, he uses it to save the city in China before he faces Dormammu.

While speedster power would make sense for time...it hasn't been demonstrated. The time wielder is just as fast as everyone else. At best, can put them battle into an infinite loop...unless reality or space can create a way out of that.

Again I'm talking about rewind time not speeding up time. I agree that we must keep witht he abilities shown in the movies and not asume a stone can do something based on other media.

I also don't think time has the power to destroy the stones unless the stones are subject to natural decay, which is what the time stone has been shown to be able to cause instantly (or reverse completely). Can work to destroy the other stone wielders, but at best works as well as any other user.

She doesn't have to destroy it, she would stop time and take the stone from the other person.

So the thing is, mind control can control minds but not stones. Mind control another stone-user is probably a slower trigger than simply blasting with power. Power would win for simple blasting...but perhaps reality can warp things to be immune (indeed there is talk about the reality being most powerful as mentioned and could eliminate other stones powers...possibly including time), Space could perhaps move out of range (or create a pocket dimension which is out of range...), and time can bring itself back from the effect (maybe, did Dormammu ever try targeting the Eye of Agamotto).

I belive the Op said that stones can't affect the other stones "domains" and on my scenario the other stoens users would be to busy to notice power stone killing everythimg.

So I think the fight may quickly move to a stalemate or a prolonged hunt and kill struggle. The only hope of the fight being over quickly is if reality is really the most powerful stone. Reality then imposes arbitrary conditions on how the universe and cause the stones to work wrong, destroying each other but leaving the reality stone intact..

Again, reality stone mostly turn stuff in other stuff, it can't affect time or space that's the green and blue stone's job.

Reality includes time, it includes space, it includes every other concept mentioned. Its shown to make the universe very cartoony when its used in Infinity War. I think it is raw win.

Again, reality stone mostly turn stuff in other stuff, it can't affect time or space that's the green and blue stone's job. It should be called matter stone.

Mando Knight
2018-05-10, 10:24 PM
It wouldn't work in Infinity War. Thanos would be willing to kill Dr. Strange over and over for eons and test whose mind will crack first. I think Thanos wins because he's already broke.

Strange already used a variation of it in Infinity War: while we aren't shown the loop from the inside, he assessed 15 million different variations of the timeline to find the one path that works.

Douglas
2018-05-10, 10:28 PM
Strange already used a variation of it in Infinity War: while we aren't shown the loop from the inside, he assessed 15 million different variations of the timeline to find the one path that works.
14,000,605 as I recall.

ben-zayb
2018-05-10, 10:56 PM
I really don't see how Time Stone user would still react once either the Reality or Space Stone user activates. Reality Stone user instantaneously turns all other stones to bubbles and/or instantaneously dices everyone else on sight. Space Stone user instantaneously teleports the other stones to his own person.

If Soul Stone can instantaneously kill, you can also add that to the above that the Time Stone user just cannot rewind to.

Power Stone seems to take time to destroy, and Mind Stone seems to requires contact.

Again, at least for three, possibly four, of these Infinity Stone users, it's rocket tag. Whoever activates their stones first takes it.

Olinser
2018-05-10, 10:57 PM
If we're going with what's demonstrated in the movies, Mind stone most definitely seems weakest in an actual direct confrontation. Remember Loki was only able to control humans by touching them DIRECTLY with the Mind stone staff (and couldn't control Stark when he didn't realize he wasn't actually touching him), and the beams that Vision conjures travel incredibly slowly compared to the abilities of the other Stones. So from what was demonstrated it can't effectively kill another Stone user before they access their stone and kill them.

All of the others its simply a question of how fast the abilities trigger. Theoretically with all abilities accessed equally quickly Time would win over everything by timestopping and reversing, and save scumming until you won, with the POSSIBLE exception of Reality (which could potentially win by altering Reality to convince the Time user that he'd already stopped time when he hadn't).

Olinser
2018-05-10, 10:59 PM
I really don't see how Time Stone user would still react once either the Reality or Space Stone user activates. Reality Stone user instantaneously turns all other stones to bubbles and/or instantaneously dices everyone else on sight. Space Stone user instantaneously teleports the other stones to his own person.

If Soul Stone can instantaneously kill, you can also add that to the above that the Time Stone user just cannot rewind to.

Power Stone seems to take time to destroy, and Mind Stone seems to requires contact.

Again, at least for three, possibly four, of these Infinity Stone users, it's rocket tag. Whoever activates their stones first takes it.

Space Stone can't actually instantaneously teleport though. It's only use in the movies has been creating a portal that takes you somewhere else - more than enough time for the other user to react and certainly hasn't been demonstrated to be able to instantly move something small like another Stone.

Lord Joeltion
2018-05-11, 10:55 AM
Again, reality stone mostly turn stuff in other stuff, it can't affect time or space that's the green and blue stone's job. It should be called matter stone.

Not necessarily, since "reality" is, in a sense, simply what you perceive. It's not about how things "scientifically" are, but how you perceive the concepts that made up (your) reality. Once you think of it as a linguistic process (a "chair" stops being a "chair" if you forget the meaning of "sitting"), Reality Stone is a much more accurate name than Matter, since the effects were never shown to be permanent (never mind the comics). It's probably why they also chose to depict what Thanos did as very complex illusions*

Since Thanos didn't have the Soul Stone yet, we know that the Collector wasn't the "real" collector, but a very complex illusion (possibly a construct?) that resembled the real Collector (but wasn't)

When alone, the Reality Stone was never implied to be able to do either of those things. It mostly affects the user, enhancing them in ways the Power Stone apparently can't.

It's also doubtful either of the Stones are able to compromise the integrity of the others. For a fair contest, I would say that no; both because rocket tag is boring but cheap rocket tag is worse, AND because that is something that never happened in the comics (because it would be stupid).

I think the Stones a very limited in the MCU, and the "only uberpeople can wield it" is the lesser limitation they have. Even the Power Stone seems like it's the most difficult to control of them all, because of its sheer raw power. Maybe more than rocket tag is more like playing Floor is Lava with 10-foot sticks while standing on a pogo. The first one who makes a mistake (mainly, let them touch you) loses to the others.

Orcus The Vile
2018-05-11, 11:32 AM
Wow this thread made me realise how limited these "infinity" stones really are in the movies.

Olinser
2018-05-11, 04:34 PM
Wow this thread made me realise how limited these "infinity" stones really are in the movies.

To be fair their actual use outside of Thanos in the movies is INCREDIBLY limited. Other than Thanos, Dr Strange and Loki are the only individuals in the movies to actually consciously access unique functions of the Stones.

All of the others either only harness generic power from the stone without using its unique abilities (Malekith, Vision, Starlord with the GotG), explicitly couldn't control the stone but only unleash its power in an act that would kill them (Ronan and the Collector's servant), or harnessed power from it without actually ever actually using the Stone itself (Red Skull and his minions).

Nerx
2018-05-13, 02:23 AM
Reality seems powerful with overlaying abilities, body doubles and transmutation

Mato
2018-05-13, 11:37 AM
The obvious answer is each of the six you known are all fully capable of being used to counter each other because they are all equal to each other. It's like arguing which one out of rock-paper-scissors-lizard-spock would win.

Which is why the bearer of the infinity stone of ego is the only correct answer. Unlike the others, the stone possesses it's bearer with the mind of the original entity that split it's self into the seven equal parts you know as the infinity stones. Arguably weaker than the others in many regards it has one very powerful key trait, it controls the other stones. It'll merge the bearers of the other stones together and become Nemesis.

S@tanicoaldo
2018-05-13, 05:42 PM
The obvious answer is each of the six you known are all fully capable of being used to counter each other because they are all equal to each other. It's like arguing which one out of rock-paper-scissors-lizard-spock would win.

Which is why the bearer of the infinity stone of ego is the only correct answer. Unlike the others, the stone possesses it's bearer with the mind of the original entity that split it's self into the seven equal parts you know as the infinity stones. Arguably weaker than the others in many regards it has one very powerful key trait, it controls the other stones. It'll merge the bearers of the other stones together and become Nemesis.

But we are talking about the Marvel Cinematic Universe version of the stones.

You can clearly see in the title MCU :smallbiggrin:

Mato
2018-05-16, 02:35 PM
But we are talking about the Marvel Cinematic Universe version of the stones.You mean the same MCU that in the last ten years decided the Tesseract that appeared in a few films should become an infinity stone in Dark World? The same MCU that claimed Asgardian magic was some kind of quantum technology only for Dr Strange to say nope it's totally magic?

Yeah, I'm going to stick to my claim before it shows up to be Scarlet Witch's necklace or something.

CarpeGuitarrem
2018-05-16, 03:39 PM
You mean the same MCU that in the last ten years decided the Tesseract that appeared in a few films should become an infinity stone in Dark World? The same MCU that claimed Asgardian magic was some kind of quantum technology only for Dr Strange to say nope it's totally magic?

Yeah, I'm going to stick to my claim before it shows up to be Scarlet Witch's necklace or something.
I mean, the Space Stone was almost certainly intended to be such from the very beginning of its appearance. Avengers predated Dark World (2012 vs 2013), and there's no way you tease Thanos unless you've already definitively decided that a "powerful singularity of space" was the Space Stone. Given that it only previously appeared in Cap 1 the year before, and that the Tesseract was an object that hadn't appeared in the comics, I don't think there was any retcon there. It was always planned to be the Space Stone.

(As far as Asgard goes, "your science and our magic are one and the same" is almost verbatim from Thor 1. It's not a Sufficiently Explained Magic situation, but a worldview that holds the two powers to be siblings that work in tandem.)

That is to say, while the characters may discover that the world isn't what it once seemed, I'm doubtful of any minor retcon like "btw there was actually another more powerful infinity stone". Plus, if it isn't currently part of the MCU, it doesn't count for MCU-only discussion.

Otherwise, the real answer would be Squirrel Girl.

Mato
2018-05-16, 07:14 PM
I mean, the Space Stone was almost certainly intended to be such from the very beginning of its appearance. Avengers predated Dark World (2012 vs 2013), and there's no way you tease Thanos unless you've already definitively decided that a "powerful singularity of space" was the Space Stone. Given that it only previously appeared in Cap 1 the year before, and that the Tesseract was an object that hadn't appeared in the comics, I don't think there was any retcon there. It was always planned to be the Space Stone.Your speculation tells me that you have no familiarity with Marvel comics.

This may sound familiar to you but when the Red Skull gets his hands on a blue cube after banishing it's last owner to another dimension and A.I.M (aka hydra's R&D) used it's x-element energy to create weapons in WWII. Except that story was published in the 60s and the device was known (and still is known) as a Cosmic Cube. I sincerely doubt they had a plan for an Avenger's plot outside of wanting to do an Avenger's film, and if they did it makes a lot more sense that the writers of Captain America: The First Avenger were planning on the Tesseract being a Cosmic Cube rather than an Infinity Stone.

(As far as Asgard goes, "your science and our magic are one and the same" is almost verbatim from Thor 1.Yes, I bet the Asgard version of physics 101 probably includes gravity and magical summoning circles. But it was Thor 2 when Jane Foster is in Asgard being scanned by the Soul Forge that she asserts it's a quantum field generator in an attempt to ground "magic" in reality.

But the problem with magic is science is science says you can't wave your hands around to conjure glowing magical spell circles. You need some kind of quantum field generating magical wand or nanobots using some kind of made up scifi energy. You also have to explain Loki's illusions as being some kind of device he carries with him, but they never did because they decided to embrace magic as magic and then Dr Strange & Thor 3: Hela Likes Summoning Sharpened Mass Out Of Nowhere made hundreds millions in the theater.

Reddish Mage
2018-05-16, 08:49 PM
Not necessarily, since "reality" is, in a sense, simply what you perceive. It's not about how things "scientifically" are, but how you perceive the concepts that made up (your) reality. Once you think of it as a linguistic process (a "chair" stops being a "chair" if you forget the meaning of "sitting"), Reality Stone is a much more accurate name than Matter, since the effects were never shown to be permanent (never mind the comics). It's probably why they also chose to depict what Thanos did as very complex illusions*

I think we can do this battle without getting into philosophical debates on the nature of reality (btw: its the stuff out there). In the comics, the reality stone controls reality reality, not illusions. There's nothing in Infinity War that contradicts that. Its perfectly reasonable, given the powers we've seen, to suppose that Thanos has manipulated reality to cause weird cartoon-like effects.

When alone, the Reality Stone was never implied to be able to do either of those things. It mostly affects the user, enhancing them in ways the Power Stone apparently can't.

Now you're talking without any grounding.

It's also doubtful either of the Stones are able to compromise the integrity of the others. For a fair contest, I would say that no; both because rocket tag is boring but cheap rocket tag is worse, AND because that is something that never happened in the comics (because it would be stupid).

I think the Stones a very limited in the MCU, and the "only uberpeople can wield it" is the lesser limitation they have. Even the Power Stone seems like it's the most difficult to control of them all, because of its sheer raw power. Maybe more than rocket tag is more like playing Floor is Lava with 10-foot sticks while standing on a pogo. The first one who makes a mistake (mainly, let them touch you) loses to the others.

I agree that cheap rocket tag is boring and wouldn't happen in the comics (or the movie which is what we are talking btw). However, this is a "what if" based on the movie. This isn't a story pitch or something we expect to actually see in the movie. Someone asked the burning question "which infinity stone would win?" and we want to give an answer.

Since a lot of the infinity stones have powers that could theoretically destroy the others (or the users) it becomes a question of which can fire first.

To be fair their actual use outside of Thanos in the movies is INCREDIBLY limited. Other than Thanos, Dr Strange and Loki are the only individuals in the movies to actually consciously access unique functions of the Stones.

All of the others either only harness generic power from the stone without using its unique abilities (Malekith, Vision, Starlord with the GotG), explicitly couldn't control the stone but only unleash its power in an act that would kill them (Ronan and the Collector's servant), or harnessed power from it without actually ever actually using the Stone itself (Red Skull and his minions).

I'm not sure its THAT limited. Red Skull could open a portal to Asgard and a lot of his tech looks like they created portals. The same space stone effect we see Thanos using.

Vision has telepathy as one of his powers in the comics but I don't recall him using the power in the MCU.

Thanos' attacks are actually pretty weak-sauce, even with multiple stones though. The heroes on Titan actually get a fair amount of shots in despite Thanos getting quite a few effects off. Of course the last *snap*
is very impressive.

The stones themselves, however, are clearly more powerful than the relative paucity of uses Thanos had for them in the one movie. The power stone could destroy all of Xandar by touching it. The space stone could portal in giant alien spaceships. The mind stone puts someone completely and totally under its control. Reality stone can manipulate everything around in ways that impose cartoon physics and magic. Dr. Strange uses the time stone not only to restore or destroy life, but put himself and an entire dimension into an infinite loop.

So if we go by the actual ways the stones have been used, we're not looking at much. If we consider how the stones could be used, extrapolating from what's on on-screen, we end up with a lot of uses.