View Full Version : Luke Cage Season 2 Trailer

FreddyNoNose
2018-05-07, 07:01 PM
The season 2 LC trailer is up!

Looks good to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sB1in0KkoG4

Knaight
2018-05-07, 08:40 PM
It's probably all going to come down to villain quality, given the drastic quality drop in Season 1 the moment Cottonmouth was replaced with Diamondback.

Lemmy
2018-05-07, 08:47 PM
I'll give it a try just out of curiosity... But I'm in no way excited for it. The first season started okay-ish and went down the toilet halfway in, so I'm not expecting much.

Rynjin
2018-05-07, 09:23 PM
Bushmaster has always been pretty much THE defining Luke Cage villain, so if they **** him up they may as well pack it in.

FreddyNoNose
2018-05-07, 09:40 PM
It's probably all going to come down to villain quality, given the drastic quality drop in Season 1 the moment Cottonmouth was replaced with Diamondback.

I agree that was the point where it started going downhill for me.

Leewei
2018-05-08, 10:29 AM
It's probably all going to come down to villain quality, given the drastic quality drop in Season 1 the moment Cottonmouth was replaced with Diamondback.I agree. Diamondback's character concept was badly flawed.

Up until Diamondback's takeover, the series was a beautiful subversion of "blacksploitation" shows of the 1970s. The characters were smart, principled, and very well-motivated in their roles. The setting was right out of these shows, but the characters were far from one-dimensional.

Diamondback went into this category full steam, though. He had very little going for him aside from menace and cheeseball power armor. He didn't work because he was meant to be the big nasty from those '70s shows.

Having said this, it still didn't work. I expect Luke Cage season 2 will take things a very different direction.

q785921
2018-05-30, 03:38 PM

Agreed. Diamondback was a lot more of threat while he was off-screen. Once he appeared and became the main threat, the show became cartoonish. I would necessarily be against that tone--it works pretty well for Legends of Tomorrow--but it doesn't work for the more grounded Netflix series. I enjoy Mike Coulter, though, and liked the first half of the series enough that I am willing to give it a chance.

Ostara
2018-06-18, 08:28 AM
Looks great! Luke Cage is far and away my favorite marvel property- but I'm a total sucker for Golden-Age style heroes.

Tvtyrant
2018-06-27, 08:05 PM
Finished it yesterday. I thought it was really good, with the possible exception of the last episode. My brother hated episode 13, I thought the ending was pretty good and was glad it didn't end like season 1.

The acting was amazing in this season. Mariah's scenes especially were brilliant, you hated and felt sorry for her in almost every scene.

Pex
2018-06-27, 08:43 PM
Almost done.

Finally reached the episode Danny Rand comes in. I don't read the comics. Whatever cartoon exposure I had with Power Man and Iron Fist was limited, but I know they are a "dynamic duo". It may be sappy, but seeing them together and bonding was done so well. Danny called it Luke being angry. He was, and when in control of it he was tough guy throughout the episodes. With Danny we get to see Luke be relaxed and chummy. They're buddies. It's that contrast that made the episode work. Loved the Pattycake Maneuver.

Lord Joeltion
2018-06-28, 12:17 AM
Done with half of it. Hopefully will finish it by weekend. I kinda wished not having watched JJ2. The fixation with parents/family issues of these last seasons is rather unnerving. At least this time is justified.

So far, I'm diggin' it. Just sad they somewhat drifted from previous season's aesthetics.

WANT MY HEROES FOR HIRE, YESTERDAY!

Reddish Mage
2018-06-30, 04:10 PM
One random thing I’m wondering about is some of the accents and expressions I’ve been hearing on this show from the background characters. Does anyone else get the impression that Luke Cage’s Harlem is partially located in the south?

BWR
2018-06-30, 06:20 PM
I understand the development of the character, the stress of the job, the compromises one has to make for something resembling peace, but I didn't like it. I reallydisliked what became of Luke in this season. He became far less an admirable person. He's no longer a paladin. Otherwise, like JJ2 and Punisher it suffered from too much stuff. They bloated the series, padded the runtime when you could easily made a better show with 2/3 or possibly half the length.
Still better than JJ2, DD2, IF or the Defenders. Kudos for making Danny likable, unlike what we saw in IF and TD.

Torack
2018-07-01, 06:25 AM
Massive Luke Cage fan and funnily enough never watched the first season. Lots of you guys are saying it's bad, so should I just skip it outright and go to season 2 or just bear it?

Knaight
2018-07-01, 07:13 AM
Massive Luke Cage fan and funnily enough never watched the first season. Lots of you guys are saying it's bad, so should I just skip it outright and go to season 2 or just bear it?

As one of the people who had a pretty notable criticism - watch it. It's still an excellent work overall, and I'd call it the best of the Defenders series (though Jessica Jones is a serious contender for that title), and even the second half of the season is pretty good overall. The first half is just significantly better.

BWR
2018-07-01, 03:54 PM

I liked season 1 better than 2, despite Cottonmouth being a far less interesting villain than Diamondback or Mariah and Bushmaster. I know I'm in a minority for that particular opinion.

Tvtyrant
2018-07-01, 04:00 PM
Cottonmouth was great, Diamondback was bad, Mariah was well acted but kind of boring personally, and Bushmaster was amazing IMO.

Season 1 was great the first half, okay the second (common with Netflix). Season 2 was the most consistently good of the Netflix Marvel shows, even though it never quite hit the high points of some of the other seasons.

Dragonus45
2018-07-01, 06:45 PM

So Season 1 is still good overall and is really carried by how compelling its villains are with the Stokes family being a compelling look into the cyclical natures of crime and abuse running through families like a plague. Then Diamondback ruins all that by being boring a ****.Luke Cage is in second for quality of the first season Daredevil winning by default thanks to Vincent Philip D'Onofrio as the Kingpin being the BEST VILLAIN IN ALL OF MARVEL with Jessica Jones barely beating out Iron First for third and Iron Fist dead last. For Second Seasons though Luke Cage season 2 is literally perfect, it doubles down on everything that made the first season good while avoiding the one thing that made it bad and then made Danny Rand likable and wise. That last bit deserves literally all the praise in the world after the Iron Fist guys totally butchered the character. Honestly Season 1 could be Iron Fist levels of bad and it would still be worth it for sake of coming into season 2 knowing what was going on.

Lemmy
2018-07-04, 10:02 AM
I'm at episode 6 or 7... And from the first episode it's MUCH better season 1 (which started okay and became awful as soon as they got rid of Cottonmouth). The villain is actually interesting and threatening this time. That alone puts this season miles ahead of the previous one.

I'd say Luke Cage season 2 is not quite as good as the Punisher arc of Daredevil's second season, but much better than the Elektra arc.

Eh... The first season starts ok and goes down the drain halfway through... I think it's worth watching up to the point when Diamondback shows up... After that, it's really boring and no event is actually important for the overall storyline.

I guess I'd say... Watch the first half of season 1 (up to when Cottonmouth goes down), skip the rest (or maybe just watch the last episode of the season), then watch season 2.

Clertar
2018-07-04, 02:31 PM
Loved it. I missed the consistent view in the direction though---Netflix Marvel shows become very bland with the multiple director approach.

Luke is becoming more weary, more of the street-level hero that get his hands dirty than the black Captain America that he never was. Great team-ups with Misty and with Iron Fist. Bushmaster was great, the Jamaicans lots of fun and the secondary characters were consistently good, which is rare in these series. We all praise JJ1 but forget the awful arch of the twin neighbours and the Killgrave victims association (shudder)

Lord Joeltion
2018-07-05, 09:24 AM
Eh... The first season starts ok and goes down the drain halfway through... I think it's worth watching up to the point when Diamondback shows up... After that, it's really boring and no event is actually important for the overall storyline.

I guess I'd say... Watch the first half of season 1 (up to when Cottonmouth goes down), skip the rest (or maybe just watch the last episode of the season), then watch season 2.

There's the thing about the father, which is kinda relevant in Season 2. I'd say bear with it. Diamondback is a lowpoint, but by no means "awful"; Cottomnouth still is one of the most compelling villains so far (Donofrio might be an excellent actor, but as a character, I think Cottonmouth has higher Charisma Score than Kingpin) which probably generated a disproportionate judgement upon his character. The problem with the second half is that it is as generic as you can get; which is bad for Netflix standards. Still better than Super Girl :smalltongue:

We all praise JJ1 but forget the awful arch of the twin neighbours and the Killgrave victims association (shudder)

"Disturbing" does not lower quality, just saying :smallwink:

Clertar
2018-07-05, 04:06 PM
"Disturbing" does not lower quality, just saying :smallwink:

I wish it had been. I meant it was embarrassing.

OutOfThyme
2018-07-05, 09:12 PM
The episode with Danny is exactly what I wanted to see when they said we'd be getting Iron Fist, not the weird angsty self-important Danny we got in IF and Defenders. If they're making a second Iron Fist season, I hope they keep that consistent moving forward. It's the difference between crappy Iron Fist comics (Living Weapon) and good ones (Immortal Iron Fist)

Although, I doubt we'd be getting a redo of Immortal Iron Fist in Netflix form.

The rest of the season was strong, and it was actually really enjoyable seeing Luke get worn down by everything around him. Mariah being an objectively terrible person was kind of entertaining to watch, and I really enjoyed Bushmaster's parts. Not having Diamondback was a relief, too.

Rynjin
2018-07-05, 09:48 PM
It's the difference between crappy Iron Fist comics (Living Weapon) and good ones (Immortal Iron Fist)

Amen to that.

Lemmy
2018-07-14, 12:18 PM
Finished watching it all today. Gotta admit... It gets really intense at the last 4 episodes. Made me reevaluate and consider Luke Cage season 2 the second best season of all Marvel series, only behind Daredevil season 1. Hell! They even managed to make Iron Fist look cool! That's quite a feat, conaidering his portrayal in "Iron Fist" and "The Defenders"...

The final episode is particularly great, IMHO. I specially loved how they use Luke, Misty and Sugar to reproduce the closing shot of "The Godfather". That was a touch of brilliance right there.

I don't think there's a single character that I found boring or unnecessary to the story (ok... Claire is boring, as always, but she had her role as Lukes failed) conscience). Mariah's growth is amazing! I love how she goes from "evil, but (almost) relatable" to "downright psychotic evil". And I definitely didn't expect Shades to be such an engaging character... I almost sympathized with him multiple times. As evil and ruthless as he is, his pain is all too relatable.

Over the course of its second season, "Luke Cage" went from one the Marvel frachises I barely least about to one of the ones I most want to see a sequel.