PDA

View Full Version : Matt Mercer's Maestro Bard Subclass

creakyaccordion
2018-05-07, 09:14 PM
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/183630

I have a player in a campaign who wants to play this subclass and I took a look at it, and to my (admittedly unexperienced where 5th edition is concerned) judgment it seems pretty OP. The Bard already has a lot of battlefield control from its spell list, and to me it seems like battlefield control overkill to have these Battle Master-style abilities AND spells in one class. Am I silly? Is this pretty balanced?

sophontteks
2018-05-07, 09:28 PM
Bardic inspiration regens on short rest at 5. He will have 6 inspiration at 5. Thats three inspiration per fight without much trouble. And most of these abilities depend on a reaction, not an action, so he can cast spells and use his abilities. So he will be using these abilities a lot.

That said, they don't appear particularly strong, except dirge of the dead, which is pretty ridiculous.

I don't know about OP though. Easiest thing to do is to just say official content only if your not sure.

EDIT: I'll add regarding your specific fear about too much control.
Glamour bards can give the entire team hp and reposition them without provoking attacks as a bonus action and can later cast command every turn for a minute as a bonus action. So, there is already a serious control class in the official material that will give this one a run for its money.