PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Looking for a good adventure path

NRSASD
2018-05-08, 07:01 AM
Hey Playgrounders!

I really, really enjoyed Tomb of Annihilation. The setting, the style of the adventure, how it does a great job feeling like you're on a great expedition into the heart of an unexplored wilderness. I liked how surprising and interactive the set pieces are.

I wasn't that much of a fan of Princes of the Apocalypse though. The monsters were too simple, the dungeons too predictable. While I like the concept of vying hostile factions, they never surprised or inspired me like I was hoping they would.

That being said, can you recommend what adventure paths I should take a look at? They don't have to be official 5E dungeon paths, but I am interested in good, clever adventures with intriguing set pieces.

As always, thanks for any and all help!

DaveOfTheDead
2018-05-08, 12:20 PM
I'm running my group through Curse of Strahd right now. I'm having fun with it. However, it is a very open/sandbox-y gothic horror adventure. It leaves you to decide which way to go about things, what to include, what to leave out, etc.

You could have the three main relics the party collects to help them defeat Strahd in like a dozen different locations, each. Then there's which ally do you have help the party? The mad wizard, Ismark, or even nobody? Then there's where the final fight will take place. Stahd's tomb, the hall of bones, or somewhere else in Castle Ravenloft?

CoS also gives you many opportunities for Strahd to mess with the party. It's up to you when these happen. Is it when they're travelling from town to town, or is it after they retrieve one of the relics? Strahd also has many spies on his side. He can even use Scrying to spy on the group himself.

Demonslayer666
2018-05-08, 05:02 PM
I am finishing up the Pathfinder Adventure Path "Curse of the Crimson Throne" that I converted to 5th edition. It's a great adventure that I highly recommend.

ImproperJustice
2018-05-08, 08:39 PM
We are currently running the Tales from the Yawning Portal.
The GM kinda develped his own story to tie in the various locations, but the dungeons have all been interesting and play like a greatest hits album of 80’s rpg tropes.

This far we have cleared the Sunless Citadel, Forge of Fury, and White Plume Mountain.
We are still finishing up some business on the Isle of Dread but it has been a lot of fun.

Naanomi
2018-05-08, 08:40 PM
I’ve had a good run adapting the old Quest for Glory video games into an adventure arc

djreynolds
2018-05-08, 09:56 PM
We are currently running the Tales from the Yawning Portal.
The GM kinda develped his own story to tie in the various locations, but the dungeons have all been interesting and play like a greatest hits album of 80’s rpg tropes.

This far we have cleared the Sunless Citadel, Forge of Fury, and White Plume Mountain.
We are still finishing up some business on the Isle of Dread but it has been a lot of fun.

You know what, I'm really thinking of running some.
I like it when I have a script, you can always improv or change something without the whole realm falling apart.
White plume mountain looks fun also.