PDA

View Full Version : What image hosting site do you use.

Petrocorus
2018-05-08, 09:42 AM
Good morning,

As you may see, photobucket is trying to make me to upgrade my account and forbid me to embed pictures, and Dropbox doesn't seem to allow embedding.

So, i would like to know what website you use to work with thiss board. I'd like to have some feedback before trying a dozen of website.

Thank you.

LibraryOgre
2018-05-08, 12:28 PM
Imgur. It works, and is relatively easy. I cleared out the stuff on my photobucket I wanted to save, quickly uploaded it to imgur, and got my avatar link.

Douglas
2018-05-08, 12:46 PM
Seconded, imgur.com (https://imgur.com/) is the current top free image hosting site that I'm aware of.

Ostara
2018-06-17, 10:45 PM
Imgur. It works, and is relatively easy. I cleared out the stuff on my photobucket I wanted to save, quickly uploaded it to imgur, and got my avatar link.

This, though if I only need it to host quickly/free I honestly just put in 'free image hosting' into google and select from the dozens of alternative sites.

Lector87
2018-06-18, 11:55 AM
Also Imgur here.

137beth
2018-06-18, 12:51 PM
I also use Imgur.

Aotrs Commander
2018-06-20, 03:16 PM
I pay for mine, but part of that is because its work related. I was paying for (two) Photobucket accounts, but ditched them RIGHT away last year when they did that nonsense. Currently, I use Smugmug, which is not hugely cheap, but at the end of the day, I'm paying for reliability and stability, which Smugmug provides. (Unlimited upload space is a bonus.)

(Smugmug also bought flickr recently.)

Rockphed
2018-06-23, 05:57 PM
Well, imgur seems to have decided that they don't like people hot-linking to their stuff. Any other suggestions for free, no-hassle image hosting?

Lector87
2018-06-23, 07:15 PM
Well, imgur seems to have decided that they don't like people hot-linking to their stuff. Any other suggestions for free, no-hassle image hosting?

Ugh, how obnoxious!

Why the heck do they provide BBC code with every picture if they don't want us using it??

Aotrs Commander
2018-06-23, 09:07 PM
Ugh, how obnoxious!

Why the heck do they provide BBC code with every picture if they don't want us using it??

Probably for the same reason Photobucket went bananas - (they have decided) it costs too much money/bandwidth (especially since Photobucket caused everyone to desert, the load went on the others and now they have the same problem).

As more and more people use the internet and the backlog of data gets bigger, I think we might unfortunately start to see a steady decline in free services as it hits the point where it starts not to be cost-effective to store million's of people's stuff. We may not, but I am beginning to wonder.

Tvtyrant
2018-06-23, 11:00 PM
I use discord. It is free, and you can simply copy the link location and post it from there.

Lector87
2018-06-24, 10:05 AM
I use discord. It is free, and you can simply copy the link location and post it from there.

Oh cool, I didn't know you could use Discord for that. Thanks for the PSA!

Some Android
2018-06-24, 07:17 PM
I use blogger.

Cormac Mac Art
2018-06-27, 01:23 PM
I dropped Photobucket.

Avilan the Grey
2018-06-28, 07:38 AM
Three.

Google Photos for private photos.
Steam for game screenshots taken in Steam.
IMGUR for everything else.

All of them are free, and Steam is rhe only one that has a data limit. Both google photos and IMGUR has unlimited pictures now. And yes, you can copy both direct links and embed links from IMGUR.

Lvl 2 Expert
2018-06-28, 09:29 AM
I use postimage.org. No idea if it's any good/infecting my PC with horrible stuff, but it works, and I don't need an account.

halfeye
2018-06-28, 09:37 AM
Three.

Google Photos for private photos.
Steam for game screenshots taken in Steam.
IMGUR for everything else.

All of them are free, and Steam is rhe only one that has a data limit. Both google photos and IMGUR has unlimited pictures now. And yes, you can copy both direct links and embed links from IMGUR.

If Imgur does all of that, how is it that you currently don't have an avatar image?

A couple of months ago it was Photobucket messing about, this past couple of weeks it has been Imgur apparently, probably because they were overloaded when everyone and theiir dog switched to them from Photobucket. There are a lot of people on here without avatars lately, it seems to be Imgur that's doing it.

I don't yet use any image hosting service, and at the moment I'm definitely planning to leave it until the market has stabilised.

I use postimage.org. No idea if it's any good/infecting my PC with horrible stuff, but it works, and I don't need an account.

You don't have an avatar image either.

Avilan the Grey
2018-06-28, 10:03 AM
If Imgur does all of that, how is it that you currently don't have an avatar image?

A couple of months ago it was Photobucket messing about, this past couple of weeks it has been Imgur apparently, probably because they were overloaded when everyone and theiir dog switched to them from Photobucket. There are a lot of people on here without avatars lately, it seems to be Imgur that's doing it.

I don't yet use any image hosting service, and at the moment I'm definitely planning to leave it until the market has stabilised.

Well, that's interesting. I hadn't noticed until you pointed it out. Oh well, I'm sure they'll get back up soon. There's no notifications on their page as far as I can tell.

halfeye
2018-06-28, 10:17 AM
Well, that's interesting. I hadn't noticed until you pointed it out. Oh well, I'm sure they'll get back up soon. There's no notifications on their page as far as I can tell.

In short, IMGUR no longer wants to be a free image hosting service. In long, this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?562082-Issues-with-custom-avatar).

GW

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?558709-2D8HP-s-extended-mea-culpa-and-Random-Banter-218/page15

It's a policy change, not a glitch. :smallsigh:

Lvl 2 Expert
2018-06-28, 10:40 AM
You don't have an avatar image either.

Oh, right, I don't.

How's this?

halfeye
2018-06-28, 10:41 AM
Oh, right, I don't.

How's this?

You're back. :smallsmile:

Aotrs Commander
2018-06-28, 10:49 AM
You know, speaking of avatars, I never checked mine was updated from Photobucket... I've been able to see mine since all the time, so I didn't think anything of it... I have now just updated the link to my Smugmug account... I can still see it... Could everyone else see it before and/or now?

Lector87
2018-06-28, 11:01 AM
You know, speaking of avatars, I never checked mine was updated from Photobucket... I've been able to see mine since all the time, so I didn't think anything of it... I have now just updated the link to my Smugmug account... I can still see it... Could everyone else see it before and/or now?

I'm seeing it, and I'm pretty sure I saw it on your other, older posts around the forum.

Aotrs Commander
2018-06-28, 11:29 AM
I'm seeing it, and I'm pretty sure I saw it on your other, older posts around the forum.

Ta. Was probably alright (I would be surprised if it has vanished and ponythread in particular hadn't said anything in like, umpteen months!), but it doesn't hurt to switch it over to the current standard, since who knows how long Photobucket will continue...!

Bohandas
2018-06-29, 10:17 AM
PostImage.

Ihey're not [string of profanity redacted] like Imgur and Photobucket

Grey_Wolf_c
2018-06-29, 01:46 PM
PostImage.

Ihey're not [string of profanity redacted] like Imgur and Photobucket

... yet.

Like someone pointed out, it seems plausible that imgur was only driven to the current scenario by photobucket's own move towards charging money, which drove so many people to imgur that they also couldn't keep up with the increased volume (and the decreased ad money). Inevitably, if that is true, then as people abandon imgur a large majority will go to the third best know image archive, and they too will be driven to their financial knees, and so on down the line.

The reality is that it costs money to host millions of pictures, and if millions become billions, you need a source of money, which these days cannot be "ad revenue".

Grey Wolf