PDA

View Full Version : I have a back-up Sorc / Warlock. Thoughts?

KeilFX
2018-05-08, 09:58 AM
Heyo Giantitp, this is my first time posting, and I have a character (either a back-up for my current campaign, or for my next one) that I'd like some feedback on! I'm a relatively new player (played a Shadow Monk to lvl 17, a lvl 4 Moon Druid in a one-shot session, and now a lvl 7 longbow Eldritch Knight in the current campaign. An awesome and large playground.

So anyway, here's the rundown of my Shadow Magic Sorcerer, Fiend patron Warlock. My current group is at lvl 7, so I have him leveled and ready to go for them.

*the stats were rolled, but because it hasn't seen play and lack of witness, they will be rerolled upon meeting a campaign*

Rhadma is a Half-elf Sorcerer 4, Warlock 4.
48 HP, STR 8 DEX 16 CON 14 INT 11 WIS 12 CHA 18. 1st lvl Sorcerer gave him CON and CHA save proficiency. Outlander background. Took Magic Initiate (Bard) for his first ASI at Sorc lvl 4.

His Sorc subclass is Shadow Magic, and this is where his backstory comes in: TL;DR version is that Rhadma's father was an evil wizard from the Shadowfell, who woed his mother into having a child with him. Upon birth, his father started a ritual that killed them both, turning young Rhadma into a conduit of the Shadowfell within Toril.

Long after getting adopted and accidentally slaughtering his schoolmates due to his first outburst of Shadow magic, he went off to study magic. He was met upon by his Warlock patron Gargauth, who was masquerading as a student. He was given a cliche ultimatum to be subjugated by the Devil-God, and now here we are.

Obviously, Fiend Patron Warlock. Pact of the Chain. His invocations are Gift of the Ever-living ones and Agonizing Blast.

---

So at lvl 7, this dude has some sweet spellcasting capabilities, with a save DC of 15 and a +7 spell attack mod.

My Metamagic choices are Quickened Spell and Twinned Spell. I was so close to picking Pact of the Tome (10 cantrips ~~~), but Chain seems like such a cool pact for adventuring and roleplaying. Magic initiate (Bard) fills the Tome roll well, giving us a total of 9 cantrips, 8 lvl 1 spells (4 slots) and 4 lvl 2 spells (5 slots), and some pretty sweet utility.

As of right now, my chosen spells are:

Cantrips: Mage Hand, Prestidigitation, Chill Touch, Minor Illusion, Message, Mending, Shocking Grasp, Blade Ward and Eldritch Blast.

Lvl 1: Puppet, Armor of Agathys, Cause Fear, Chaos Bolt, Sleep, Shield, Find Familiar (Chain pact feature) and Cure Wounds (1 /per rest Magic Initiate).

Lvl 2: Mirror Image, Invisibility, Hold Person and Darkness (Shadow Sorc feature).

---
As far as a proceeding level Breakdown, I imagine Sorc14 Lock6, leveling Sorc all the way first. What are your thoughts?

Willie the Duck
2018-05-08, 10:24 AM
Well, I'm impressed that someone made a warlock-sorcerer and didn't make a coffeelock. I approve.

As to the statement 'Magic initiate (Bard) fills the Tome roll well' this is true but also not true. Tome is also ritual magic (all classes) as well as cantrips from any class, including things like guidance (and shillelagh if needed). So the two sub-classes are different party roles.

KeilFX
2018-05-08, 11:49 AM
Well, I'm impressed that someone made a warlock-sorcerer and didn't make a coffeelock. I approve.

As to the statement 'Magic initiate (Bard) fills the Tome roll well' this is true but also not true. Tome is also ritual magic (all classes) as well as cantrips from any class, including things like guidance (and shillelagh if needed). So the two sub-classes are different party roles.

Hahahahahahaha oh lord I just looked up what a Coffeelock is, and although that's amazing, I don't see a need for a billion leveled spell slots. This would be my 4th character, with easily the highest casting repertoire of all of them.

Blood of Gaea
2018-05-08, 11:56 AM
I would drop either quickened or twinned spell for a cheaper option, you can always pick it back up if you take more Sorcerer levels, but as it stands you don't have many metamagic points to through around.

KeilFX
2018-05-08, 02:28 PM
I would drop either quickened or twinned spell for a cheaper option, you can always pick it back up if you take more Sorcerer levels, but as it stands you don't have many metamagic points to through around.

That is absolutely a fair point, so I suppose I'd start off with Empowered spell. I'm not worried about sniping, or being sneaky. Heightened spell seems cool, but 3 points for one use seems pretty steep. So it's either Empowered or Extended to start. Quickened spell seems really good for in-combat utility, so I'd keep that over Twinned.

Blood of Gaea
2018-05-08, 08:16 PM
That is absolutely a fair point, so I suppose I'd start off with Empowered spell. I'm not worried about sniping, or being sneaky. Heightened spell seems cool, but 3 points for one use seems pretty steep. So it's either Empowered or Extended to start. Quickened spell seems really good for in-combat utility, so I'd keep that over Twinned.
Empowered is a great choice for the budget, as it only gets used when you know you can use dice rerolls.