PDA

View Full Version : Arc shot ideas

Dontki
2018-05-08, 01:40 PM
So the fighter has arcane archer as a level three subclass so I wanted to know if any of you guys and gals could come up with any ideas on new arcane arrows.

DMThac0
2018-05-08, 01:46 PM
I haven't looked at the arcane archer, so I have no idea how it's presented so, here's how my brain works:

Level 3 arcane archer : what spells are available at lvl 3 to the other classes : what spells sound like they could be infused into arrows/bows/quivers?

It's an unorthodox look at how to approach this but it opens up a lot of flavor in my opinion.

Revealing arrow: When you create the arrow it glows with a gentle white-blue light. Firing the arrow into the sky it bursts into the same white-blue light, any and all creatures who are invisible or ethereal in a 120' diameter are revealed as translucent or glowing white-blue for 1 minute. (arrow based off the See Invisibility spell).

saucerhead
2018-05-08, 02:24 PM
I haven't looked at the arcane archer, so I have no idea how it's presented so, here's how my brain works:

Level 3 arcane archer : what spells are available at lvl 3 to the other classes : what spells sound like they could be infused into arrows/bows/quivers?

It's an unorthodox look at how to approach this but it opens up a lot of flavor in my opinion.

Revealing arrow: When you create the arrow it glows with a gentle white-blue light. Firing the arrow into the sky it bursts into the same white-blue light, any and all creatures who are invisible or ethereal in a 120' diameter are revealed as translucent or glowing white-blue for 1 minute. (arrow based off the See Invisibility spell).

I like that idea. If there isn't one already, an AoE silence wherever the arrow hits and lasts 1 minute would be good too.

Vogie
2018-05-08, 02:27 PM
They're right - You can just find mid-level spells that involve a hit or a target, and build some shots around it. I've adjusted the damage to coincide more closely with existing Arcane Archer shots.

Mind Spike Shot
The creature hit by the arrow takes an extra 2d8 psychic damage must make a Wisdom saving throw, on a failed save. On a failed save, you also always know the target's location for up to 1 hour, but only while the two of you are on the same plane of existence. While you have this knowledge, the target can't become hidden from you, and if it's invisible, it gains no benefits from this condition against you. This effect requires concentration.

The psychic damage increases to 4d8 when you reach 18th level in this class.

Counterspell Shot
Use this option only as a reaction, which is taken when you see a creature within 60 feet of you casting a spell.
You attempt to interrupt the creature hit by the arrow in the process of casting a spell

If the creature is casting a spell of 3rd level or lower, its spell fails and has no effect.
If it is casting a spell of 4th level or higher, make an ability check using your spellcasting ability. The DC equals equals 8 + your proficiency bonus + your Intelligence modifier.

On a success, the creature’s spell fails and has no effect.
After you reach 18th level in this class, a target also takes 2d6 psychic damage when the arrow hits it.

Thunder Step Shot
Whenever you use this option, when the arrow is shot, but before it hits, the arcane archer can choose to transform into lightning and merge with the arrow, teleporting instantly to wherever the arrow impacts. If the target is a creature, the wielder emerges adjacent to the target in a space of their choice. If they miss with the attack, the DM determines where the wielder teleports accordingly. Immediately after you disappear, a thunderous boom sounds, and each creature within 10 feet of the space you left must make a Constitution saving throw, taking 2d10 thunder damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one. The thunder can be heard from up to 300 feet away.

You can bring along objects as long as their weight doesn't exceed what you can carry.

The thunder damage increases to 4d10 when you reach 18th level in this class.

Oracle shot
When you use this option, Oracle shot allows the archer to project their sight through the arrow they fire for up to 10 minutes. This requires concentration.

Forge Shot (based off of Heat Metal)If the object hit by the arrow or the creature hit by the arrow is carrying a metal object, such as a metal weapon or a suit of heavy or medium metal armor, you cause the object to glow red-hot. Any creature in physical contact with the object takes 2d8 fire damage. For 1 minute, you can use a bonus action on each of your subsequent turns to cause this damage again (This requires concentration). If a creature is holding or wearing the object and takes damage from it, the creature must succeed on a Constitution saving throw or drop the object if it can. If it doesn't drop the object, it has disadvantage on attack rolls and ability checks until the start of your next turn.

The fire damage increases to 4d8 when you reach 18th level in this class.

Contagion Shot
Your arrow inflicts disease. At the end of each of the target’s turns, it must make a Constitution saving throw. After failing three of these saving throws, you afflict the creature with a disease of your choice from any of the ones described below for up to 7 days.

Blinding Sickness. Pain grips the creature’s mind, and its eyes turn milky white. The creature has disadvantage on Wisdom checks and Wisdom saving throws and is blinded.
Filth Fever. A raging fever sweeps through the creature’s body. The creature has disadvantage on Strength checks, Strength saving throws, and attack rolls that use Strength.
Flesh Rot. The creature’s flesh decays. The creature has disadvantage on Charisma checks and vulnerability to all damage.
Mindfire. The creature’s mind becomes feverish. The creature has disadvantage on Intelligence checks and Intelligence saving throws, and the creature behaves as if under the effects of the confusion spell during combat.
Seizure. The creature is overcome with shaking. The creature has disadvantage on Dexterity checks, Dexterity saving throws, and attack rolls that use Dexterity.
Slimy Doom. The creature begins to bleed uncontrollably. The creature has disadvantage on Constitution checks and Constitution saving throws. In addition, whenever the creature takes damage, it is stunned until the end of its next turn

Hovering Shot (based off of Cordon of Arrows)
When you use this option, you quickly fire four arrows into the air and they hover in the air around a point you choose with your pointing finger within range for up to 8 hours. Whenever a creature other than you or other creatures you designate come within 30 feet of the ammunition for the first time on a turn or ends its turn there, one arrow flies to strike it. The creature must succeed on a Dexterity saving throw or take 2d6 piercing damage. The arrow is then destroyed. The effect ends when no arrows remain.

The piercing damage increases to 4d6 when you reach 18th level in this class.

nickl_2000
2018-05-08, 02:30 PM
Just a few ideas that would need flavour and fleshing out

Duplicative shot: You take a shot and the arrow splits into x number of arrows each rolling it's own attack to hit the target?
Spread Shot: causes the arrow to split in the air into 10 arrows that damage everyone in a cone?
Cupid's Arrow: Causes the target to fall in love with you (be charmed)
Dispelling Arrow: On hit it causes casts dispel on the target, 17th level optionally creates an anti-magic field
Marking Arrow: On hit it bursts into a glowing paint that gives attackers against it advantage and make invisibility impossible