PDA

View Full Version : Player Help I Don't Know What to Play: Option Paralysis

tmjr6
2018-05-08, 02:36 PM
Hello everyone,

I've been a DM for most of 5th edition, playing one shots here and there, but I've never really had the chance to play in campaigns until recently, because of this I find myself hitting major option paralysis for the character I'm building for the campaign I'm in currently. I'd like some advice on what to play, as I can't seem to find an idea for a character to play. We rolled for stats and I rolled the following in order from least to greatest, these can be assigned freely, 8, 12, 13, 14, 16, 18.

Our party consists of:
-A Half-Elf Blades Bard 4/Rogue 1(he plans on becoming a swashbuckler)
-A Wood Elf Spores Druid 5
-A Dragonborn Oath of Devotion Paladin 5
-A Half-Orc Berserker Barbarian 5
-A Human Gunslinger Fighter 5

Any thoughts?

Consensus
2018-05-08, 02:52 PM
It seems like the party has a good mix of different roles, something not filled by other character would be a blaster, so you could think about warlock sorcerer or wizard

DMThac0
2018-05-08, 02:54 PM
d12 for class

d10 for race (re roll on 0)

roll d4 for subclass (random book)

Go, have fun!

Beechgnome
2018-05-08, 02:54 PM
Based on your party composition I would go with a full caster, someone who can strike from range (you have enough melee PCs) and control the battlefield.

Some options to consider:

· Divine Soul Sorcerer will give you access to Arcane and cleric spells, and Lots of options if you want to buff, debuff or blast away. Twinning buffs and debuffs or Carefully casting around your melee guys will be appreciated.

· War Wizard can fill a similar role, and that bonus to initiative means you (and the swashbuckler) have a better shot at setting the terms of the battle by striking/buffing first.

· A Tome GOO Warlock would let you be the ritual caster de jour while you agonizing blast enemies from afar.

QuickLyRaiNbow
2018-05-08, 02:58 PM
The big obvious space in your party is arcane casting, preferably of the utility and battlefield control variety. The secondary gap is filling the skill holes. Looks to me like lore bard or diviner, illusionist or enchanter wizard are the plays here. I'd probably lean towards diviner wizard because I really enjoy the level 2 feature.

With a 16 and an 18 available to you, you could even combine lore bard and wizard, filling your wizard spellbook with utility and rituals to supplement your bard casting.

MagneticKitty
2018-05-08, 05:11 PM
With that team, I'd go cleric/ranger multiclass
I'm partial to forge cleric myself but life + goodberry is good

thoroughlyS
2018-05-08, 06:28 PM
I agree that your group could use another full caster. Another fun option in the vein of mixing arcane and divine would be the Arcana Domain (Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide p.125).

Pex
2018-05-08, 06:38 PM
When I can't decide between separate game mechanics where all are equally fun, I ignore the mechanics to envision the character. I roleplay to myself. What's the story of the character? Trouble happens, what does he do to save the day? Quick, think fast. Don't think of numbers, think of actions. Don't try too hard. If you're purposely do it your're thinking of mechanics again. Instead, go about your day normally. Think of the fun of playing the game. Daydream. What you do in the gameworld? Make up encounters. Play them out. Eventually you'll find focus on what your character is doing inside your daydream. Then you'll know what game mechanics will match and decide what to play.

Kane0
2018-05-08, 06:42 PM
Halfling Diviner, take the Bountiful Luck and Lucky feats when you're happy with your Int.

8wGremlin
2018-05-09, 05:07 PM
Take 5 levels of Divine soul sorcerer
pick the spells 'Spirit Guardians' and 'Spiritual weapon'
take twin and quicken metamagic
mix in 1 or 2 parts of hexblade for flavouring (armour, and EB madness)
make sure you have 14 DEX, enough CON to be healthy, and max CHA
take booming blade, or GFB as a cantrip, Shield as well
and warcaster as a side garnish.

Wade into battle

2D8HP
2018-05-09, 06:27 PM
My usual class and race choices are human Champions and Half-Elf Swashbucklers, but seeing what the rest of the party is, I think a High Elf Eldrich Knight would be good, or a Gloomstalker Ranger (any race).

CTurbo
2018-05-09, 07:10 PM
Blue Dragonborn Draconic Sorcerer 1/Tempest Cleric 4 in that order
Str 16, Con 14, Wis 18, Cha 16
Take all of the Lightning/Thunder Cantrips, Wear Plate + Shield for 20AC
+2 to Con, Wis, or Cha, or Warcaster at level 4 would be fine
Stick with Tempest until at least Cleric 8 or 9 and then flip back over to Sorcerer until at least Sorcerer 6.

I would play this character as melee centric running Spiritual Guardians after next level and probably getting good use out of Booming Blade. Being able to Max Thunder/Lightning damage all the time is just crazy and taking Sorcerer opens up every good relevant spell for you as well as getting you Con proficiency. If you DO want to stay in melee, I highly recommend Sentinel at some point. Warcaster + Sentinel + Booming Blade is just great on a Cleric. You'd be hitting for like 5d8+Str+Cha with your reaction.

Of course you could still be great if you don't want to be in melee.