PDA

View Full Version : Crossbow expert feat

Whit
2018-05-08, 03:57 PM
Being within 5 feat of a hostile creature doesn’t impose disadvantage on your range attack rolls.

Does this include range spell attack’s ?

Lombra
2018-05-08, 03:59 PM
Rules As Written, yes.

ZorroGames
2018-05-08, 04:37 PM
My Forest Gnome CBE Fighter (EK) will be bugging to to check with “the gods” (DMs) to get a second opinion.

Sounds good.

Nidgit
2018-05-08, 06:35 PM
RAI Sage Advice is also yes.

Lunali
2018-05-08, 06:37 PM
For reference, similar feats, sharpshooter and spell sniper, specify ranged weapon attacks and ranged spell attacks to make it clear that they're not interchangable. Since this one only says ranged attacks, it applies to both.

QuickLyRaiNbow
2018-05-08, 07:28 PM
RAW and RAI according to the errata (https://media.wizards.com/2015/downloads/dnd/SA_Compendium_1.01.pdf), ranged spell attacks are included. I would strongly advise anyone intending to use that provision to double-check with their DM, because I could very easily see that coming as a surprise to a lot of people.

ZorroGames
2018-05-09, 08:17 AM
Did not have chance to check with my unusual DM last night (I ran a game as DM, first since 1980s,) and had to focus.)

I will email him today or tomorrow.

ZorroGames
2018-05-09, 06:35 PM
Main guy (AL organizer) yes yes even if it makes no sense it works that way.

Gnome is cackling in his room.

pdegan2814
2018-05-09, 07:15 PM
I guess the idea is that by taking the feat, your character has become able to focus properly even with a hostile next to them, so they don't provide the distraction that causes disadvantage. Since it's a matter of mental discipline rather than physical ability, it applies to both weapons and spells.

ZorroGames
2018-05-10, 07:06 AM
I guess the idea is that by taking the feat, your character has become able to focus properly even with a hostile next to them, so they don't provide the distraction that causes disadvantage. Since it's a matter of mental discipline rather than physical ability, it applies to both weapons and spells.

Interesting thought. Gracias.

The Gnome is thinking hand buzzer/Shocking Grasp...

nickl_2000
2018-05-10, 07:09 AM
Did not have chance to check with my unusual DM last night (I ran a game as DM, first since 1980s,) and had to focus.)

I will email him today or tomorrow.

Your UNUSUAL dm? That's pretty mean to call him that :smallbiggrin:

ZorroGames
2018-05-10, 07:17 AM
Your UNUSUAL dm? That's pretty mean to call him that :smallbiggrin:

Inside joke since we have multiple Tier 1 tables with 6+ players and you seem to get different DMs every Tuesday/Wednesday night. Part of the reason I tried my hand at DM Tuesday after a 3 decade layoff.

Greywander
2018-05-10, 03:27 PM
As I understand it, this was intentional so that the feat would have something to offer for non-crossbow users, including spell casters. A lot of similar feats also grant some farther reaching minor benefit so that the feat appeals to more than just niche builds.

It really is a minor benefit, though, as you can achieve the same results with a spell that requires a saving throw instead of an attack roll. But, say, blastlocks would really appreciate it.