PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Brawler PrC, Bludgeoning Substitution (3.5)

SirNibbles
2018-05-08, 05:30 PM
The Brawler Prestige Class from Dragon Magazine #295, page 73 caught my eye for its 5th level ability, Bludgeoning Substitution (Su), and the accompanying 4th level ability, Subdual Damage Reduction (Su).

Bludgeoning Substitution (Su): At 5th level, half of the damage the brawler suffers from a bludgeoning attack is converted to subdual damage and is subject to the brawler's subdual damage reduction ability.

Subdual Damage Reduction (Su): At 4th level, the brawler gains the ability to shrug off some amount of injury due to subdual damage. Subtract the brawler's Constitution bonus from any attack or spell that deals subdual damage. The brawler takes subdual damage from forced marches, hustling overland, and non-combat sources normally.

My question is in regards to how the Bludgeoning Substitution ability works against attacks that deal multiple types of damage. For example, a bite attack deals bludgeoning, slashing, and piercing damage. Would 1/6th of the damage be converted to subdual (nonlethal in 3.5)? Would it still be 1/2 since the attack is dealing bludgeoning damage? Would the attack deal full damage, with Bludgeoning Substitution applying only to attacks which deal purely bludgeoning damage?

__

If it works for any attack which deals bludgeoning damage, regardless of the other types it deals at the same time, this could be very nice for a Fist of the Forest build.

Psyren
2018-05-08, 05:34 PM
Rather than deal with complicated fractions, I would either (a) have the ability only apply to pure bludgeoning, or (b) cut the reduction in half again vs. attacks that do more than one type simultaneously (so 25% reduction if the attack is B+P, B+S, or B+P+S.)

SirNibbles
2018-05-08, 05:47 PM
Should help figuring this out, a somewhat similar question was answered not too long ago: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=23037764&postcount=22

Well, that certainly seems to answer it. Thank you.