PDA

View Full Version : Puzzled Regarding the paper miniatures on Gumroad

PaperPaladin
2018-05-08, 07:59 PM
Hello, forgive me if this is not the right place for this but I have a somewhat unique problem.

I bought Burlew's paper minis off of Gumroad and since printing them out on my dad's printer would probably use all his paper and ink, decided I'd try having the local FedEx print them out since it would be faster and far less irritating for my dad.

However, since they're copyrighted material under GitP, FedEx cannot print them without some sort of permission from GitP/Rich Burlew.

How might I get in contact with Rich to see what might be done about this issue?

Thanks!

Grey_Wolf_c
2018-05-08, 08:10 PM
Hello, forgive me if this is not the right place for this but I have a somewhat unique problem.

I bought Burlew's paper minis off of Gumroad and since printing them out on my dad's printer would probably use all his paper and ink, decided I'd try having the local FedEx print them out since it would be faster and far less irritating for my dad.

However, since they're copyrighted material under GitP, FedEx cannot print them without some sort of permission from GitP/Rich Burlew.

How might I get in contact with Rich to see what might be done about this issue?

Thanks!

He already gives permission to print it in the copyright notice in each page: "You have permission to print this for personal use". If that is not good enough for FedEx, I'm not sure what would.

GW

PaperPaladin
2018-05-08, 08:29 PM
He already gives permission to print it in the copyright notice in each page: "You have permission to print this for personal use". If that is not good enough for FedEx, I'm not sure what would.

GW

The FedEx people pointed to that specific clause when they said they couldn't print it as it stands.

*I* have permission to print it for personal use, but that's because I'd be printing it on my dime with my own (or dad's) printer.

If I had FedEx print them, I'd have to be paying them to do the printing, which means they'd be receiving money for printing someone else's copyrighted material without express agreement.

FedEx said all they needed was a printout of an email from Burlew giving permission, no fancy legal contract or anything that complicated.

JustinKase
2018-05-08, 09:38 PM
Assuming Mr Burlew isn't opposed to allowing that, I wonder if it might make more sense for him to post up a general release to allow printing in this fashion.

The Aboleth
2018-05-08, 10:08 PM
The FedEx people pointed to that specific clause when they said they couldn't print it as it stands.

*I* have permission to print it for personal use, but that's because I'd be printing it on my dime with my own (or dad's) printer.

If I had FedEx print them, I'd have to be paying them to do the printing, which means they'd be receiving money for printing someone else's copyrighted material without express agreement.

FedEx said all they needed was a printout of an email from Burlew giving permission, no fancy legal contract or anything that complicated.

I would post in the official AMFES thread and ask Rich there: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?554661-New-quot-A-Monster-for-Every-Season-quot-Winter-(Vol-4)-On-sale-now!.

Failing that, you can send him a Private Message.

Failing that, I would try going to a Staples and printing the miniatures there; odds are they'll be less strict about the copyright thing since you'd be self-printing at the store (you'd still have to pay money, but the cost is for using their equipment--you're the one actually printing the things).

Hope this helps!

GooeyChewie
2018-05-09, 07:52 AM
I would recommend going somewhere else, even another FedEx location. I play a card game which has been out of print and run by a player’s committee (The Continuing Committee (https://www.trekcc.org)) for quite some time. All the cards are printable at this point, but sometimes players run into the exact same problem as you did. Basically it comes down to the person behind the counter, and you may get a different response at a different time from even the same store. Most places won’t think twice about it.

You could argue with the employee that FedEx is selling the printing service, not the actual printout. That argument has the benefit of being true, but if the employee is stubborn it’s probably easier to just take your business elsewhere. I’ve always found the UPS store is cheaper anyway (at least in my area).

kraitmarais
2018-06-03, 01:36 PM
I also suspect that you may have some luck just going to another location. Alternatively, could you just use one of the pay-for-use computers there, and print them yourself there, instead of asking the FedEx employee?