PDA

View Full Version : Buffing Geometer 3.5

Aetis
2018-05-08, 11:25 PM
Hi, playgrounders. I'm currently working on making small buffs to PrCs in Complete Arcana for my table, and I've come across the prestige class, Geometer. I've so far decided on reducing the skills prereq by one (from 9 to 8) to allow faster access, as well as allowing Geometers to cast Greater Glyph of Warding as a 5th level spell instead. I'm also considering removing the material cost for Glyph of Warding for Geometers, and allowing Geometers to cast Glyph of Warding as a standard action if they cast it with a spellglyph, to allow more creative offensive usage with the spell.

Any thoughts or worries would be appreciated.

Zaq
2018-05-08, 11:33 PM
Obligatory “it’s already a full-progression Wizard PrC and therefore by definition doesn’t need much buffing” comment.

Honestly though, these buffs seem reasonably tame. Glyph of Warding can be strong in the hands of a creative player, but as long as your player isn’t actively trying to abuse the action economy, you honestly probably won’t really notice in the long run. (If they ARE trying to crack the action economy over their knee, this is probably a bad idea, but at some point we run into the old “don’t solve out-of-game problems—like being a jerk—with in-game solutions” issue.)

Falontani
2018-05-09, 12:19 AM
I like it.

Zombulian
2018-05-09, 05:02 PM
This is gonna be a boring thread because those changes are good. Add a little flavor and a unique but not too powerful trick, plus make it more accessible and attractive. Seems good to me.

Nifft
2018-05-09, 05:05 PM
It's a fine class, and your changes don't break anything.

Good stuff.

Telonius
2018-05-10, 05:35 AM
In a completely self-centered point, it would have let one of my Villainous Competition builds (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=22032908&postcount=116) finish out Geometer (Wizard5/Geometer5/Planeshifter10) instead of leaving it at Wizard6/Geometer4/Planeshifter10. :smallbiggrin: