PDA

View Full Version : Optimization BladeSinger ASI Choices

Captain Bob
2018-05-09, 05:21 AM
Just curious as to opinions about a pure-classed bladesinger ASI's or feats - assuming a start from level 1 with an game end point around 13-14, with 16's in Int. and Dex, and 14 in Con. Pressing questions for me at first glance; Is it worth to pump your dexterity at all over feats or Int? Secondly, resilient Con or Warcaster appears to be ideal at some point...if this is the case, I'm interested in thoughts as to the desired order for picking up one of these (level 4 / level 8 / level 12). Thanks much.

hymer
2018-05-09, 05:27 AM
Spell selection will have a big influence. You already get a boost to Concentration saves from Bladesinging, and if you don't have a lot of Concentration spells, there's little cause for investing in it.
If you're playing the character as a regular wizard with a strong defensive option, then you're very likely to value Int over all else. But if you're trying to make yourself gishier, you'd probably have to invest in dex to keep up your combat stat and add to your permanent AC.

RSP
2018-05-09, 06:11 AM
As Hymer said, we'd need to know more about your play style to help. Personally, I'd forgo Resilient (Con) if you don't have an odd Con score. Warcaster is fine as a selection but only if you're going to regularly be in melee.

If going melee>casting, then dex>int. If not going melee, then you're upping Int to 20 with your first two ASIs.

Deathtongue
2018-05-09, 07:54 AM
You want Resilient: Con, even if you are starting out with an even stat. Constitution saving throws are a big deal in 5E.

Generally, I start by grabbing +2 INT and Resilient: Con by level 8. Top off INT. Spend the rest in DEX. If you're not playing in adventurer's league, your AC will need to be that high unless you're doing something that massively boosts your hp (Shapechange/Tenser's shenanigans) unless you want to give up being in melee.

If your base AC doesn't need to be that high (i.e. you're playing in a high magical-drop item) Tough, Sentinel, and Elven Accuracy are good choices.

Sception
2018-05-09, 08:11 AM
Assuming you're starting with post racial 16s in dex and int...

If you're a bladesinger to be a fighty wizard gish, get your dex to 20 asap, pausing only maybe for resilient con, and even then maybe not. Get your int up after that. Try to start with dex 17 so you can grab elven accuracy while still increasing your dex mod. Consider multiclassing in fighter or rogue.

If you're a bladesinger to be a regular casty wizard who just has a surprisingly high AC for whatever attacks slip past your control spells and the party meat shield to target you, then get your int to 20 asap instead, and you can worry about dex afterwords, maybe, or maybe not even.

Citan
2018-05-09, 09:04 AM
Just curious as to opinions about a pure-classed bladesinger ASI's or feats - assuming a start from level 1 with an game end point around 13-14, with 16's in Int. and Dex, and 14 in Con. Pressing questions for me at first glance; Is it worth to pump your dexterity at all over feats or Int? Secondly, resilient Con or Warcaster appears to be ideal at some point...if this is the case, I'm interested in thoughts as to the desired order for picking up one of these (level 4 / level 8 / level 12). Thanks much.
Hi!

It depends on many things, notably whether you want to use the melee-related options.
For example, if you wanted to be a bee that darts in and out, using Haste, you may very well want Mobile so you can get 4 attacks in the same round with free disengage, or you may prefer taking Resilient: Constitution ASAP in case people ready actions to attack you when closing in or otherwise shoot at you from a distance.
If you generally plan on using spells to buff yourself or friends, you may not care about having a high spell DC nor having 1-2 less spells available.

If you just plan on putting the concentration bonus to good use and otherwise rely on plain spells, you may completely put DEX aside (AC 19 is pretty good already) and just focus on improving INT and getting Warcaster and Resilient: Constitution to make yourself extremely reliable to sustain whatever encounter-winning spell you use.

In short, if you want to play Bladesinger as a "pure Wizard", its feature allow you to completely put aside Dexterity past the starting 16 or even 14: "INT to AC" bonus stills gives you better AC than all other Wizards. Initiative-wise, even if you want to be the big fight opener, it's better to get Alert feat than try and bump DEX. And against the DEX save effects, between Absorb Elements, Protection spells, Haste and the "consume slot for damage" emergency you're as resilient as Abjurer until the latter gets its 14th feature.

If you want to play Bladesinger as a glass cannon striker, then choices have to be made. :)