PDA

View Full Version : Can Primal Savagery be used with Warcaster

nickl_2000
2018-05-09, 06:29 AM
A relatively simple question, that I'm guessing doesn't have a simple answer...

Can you use the primal savagery cantrip as an AOO with Warcaster?

Grear Bylls
2018-05-09, 06:38 AM

Yes (10 lett

nickl_2000
2018-05-09, 06:42 AM
Here why I'm asking

From Warcaster:
The spell must have a casting time of 1 action and must target only that creature.

From Primal Savagery
Casting Time:1 action
Range: Self
Components:S
Duration: Instantaneous
You channel primal magic to cause your teeth or fingernails to sharpen, ready to deliver a corrosive attack. Make a melee spell attack against one creature within 5 feet of you....

The issue is the range of self on it.

hymer
2018-05-09, 06:45 AM

This is just off the top of my head, but let's throw some assumptions out there and see what happens:
Opportunity Attacks specifically go before the triggering movement is performed. It has to, or it wouldn't work. But other reactions generally take place after their trigger unless otherwise specified. And since Warcaster doesn't specify that it works as the OA (though it does state it goes in place of the OA), then unless you have some way to cast Primal Savagery further away than the reach of the weapon you're holding, then no, you can't.

RAI, I'd say of course you can, and I'd rule it that away at my table.

Edit: Oh, not the objection you were wondering about. :smallsmile:

jiriku
2018-05-09, 06:46 AM
It doesn't target a creature, but it initiates an attack that targets a creature, and the provoking creature would be expected to qualify as a target for the cantrip.

I'd allow it, but with the caveat that the attack provided by primal savagery must be taken against the creature provoking the opportunity attack.

DarkKnightJin
2018-05-09, 06:59 AM
It doesn't target a creature, but it initiates an attack that targets a creature, and the provoking creature would be expected to qualify as a target for the cantrip.

I'd allow it, but with the caveat that the attack provided by primal savagery must be taken against the creature provoking the opportunity attack.

That seems like the logical thing.
"Oh, that Rat moved and provoked an Opportunity Attack! Let me hit this unrelated Zombie."

That sorta stuff doesn't fly. A creature provokes an OA, the creature that provokes it is your target. This goes for 'regular' OA, it doesn't magically change because of War Caster.

Beelzebubba
2018-05-09, 09:26 AM
Here why I'm asking

The range of self means you equip yourself with acid-powered claws and nobody else.

To use those claws, you make a typical melee attack, with your range of 5'.

Quoxis
2018-05-09, 09:38 AM
Here why I'm asking

From Warcaster:
The spell must have a casting time of 1 action and must target only that creature.

From Primal Savagery
Casting Time:1 action
Components:S
Duration: Instantaneous
You channel primal magic to cause your teeth or fingernails to sharpen, ready to deliver a corrosive attack. Make a melee spell attack against one creature within 5 feet of you....

Is range = target?
I admit it's weird and in AL i wouldn't bet on it, but i simply can't think of any reasonable argument against allowing it. You make a spell attack that targets something, just like booming and green flame blade, and i don't see why anyone including wotc would take that opportunity from druids when basically every other spellcaster class can do it with either of those.

nickl_2000
2018-05-09, 09:52 AM
Is range = target?
I admit it's weird and in AL i wouldn't bet on it, but i simply can't think of any reasonable argument against allowing it. You make a spell attack that targets something, just like booming and green flame blade, and i don't see why anyone including wotc would take that opportunity from druids when basically every other spellcaster class can do it with either of those.

Right, that's the problem I see. Technically this spell target isn't the person who is provoking the AoO, it's you. You cast the spell on yourself and then you are allowed to make a melee attack. I don't see what problem it would cause to let it happen, and I would guess that it is still intended to be allowed, but RAW seems like a no.

QuickLyRaiNbow
2018-05-09, 10:10 AM
Right, that's the problem I see. Technically this spell target isn't the person who is provoking the AoO, it's you. You cast the spell on yourself and then you are allowed to make a melee attack. I don't see what problem it would cause to let it happen, and I would guess that it is still intended to be allowed, but RAW seems like a no.

Correct that it's not allowed by RAW. I haven't got a clue what the RAI is, but as a DM I'd be fine with it absent a compelling reason not to be.

nickl_2000
2018-05-09, 10:14 AM
Correct that it's not allowed by RAW. I haven't got a clue what the RAI is, but as a DM I'd be fine with it absent a compelling reason not to be.

I can see absolutely no reason why you shouldn't be able to do it. It's not as good as Booming Blade and green flame blade in this situation and they are allowed.