PDA

View Full Version : Divine smite quick question

Whit
2018-05-09, 04:50 PM
When you Hit a creature with a melee attack expand one spell skit do radiant damage....

If you have 2 attack’s can you divine smite each attack

JackPhoenix
2018-05-09, 05:10 PM
Yes. ten characters

MeeposFire
2018-05-09, 05:15 PM
The ability essentially requires you to hit with a melee weapon attack so if you do that you can add a smite to it. SO if you hit 2 times with a melee weapon attack each one could add divine smite to it.

It works well to deal damage quickly but paladins do not have that many spell slots so it is easy to run out early if you do this often.

Aranfan
2018-05-09, 08:50 PM
Since it says "when you hit" it also means you can wait until you know it hits. Which means you can hold it back until you crit or something.

MeeposFire
2018-05-09, 09:22 PM
Since it says "when you hit" it also means you can wait until you know it hits. Which means you can hold it back until you crit or something.

In fact that wording means you have to wait until you hit (though honestly that is just an academic difference since who would choose to use it on a miss anyway).

Tanarii
2018-05-09, 11:03 PM
No. You have to spend one spell slot for each of the two attacks. Not one spell slot for both attacks.

Malifice
2018-05-09, 11:13 PM
When you Hit a creature with a melee attack expand one spell skit do radiant damage....

If you have 2 attack’s can you divine smite each attack

Dude. Yes.

What makes you think you cant? The rule is clear.

MeeposFire
2018-05-09, 11:18 PM
No. You have to spend one spell slot for each of the two attacks. Not one spell slot for both attacks.

Hmm I had not considered that was the question being asked but I can see that being possible now.

Tanarii
2018-05-09, 11:23 PM
Hmm I had not considered that was the question being asked but I can see that being possible now.
I wondered why so many people were answering wrong, but on reflection I can see they thought the question was "If you have 2 attacks can you spend a slot on each attack to divine smite on each attack."