PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Looking for help, not to optimize, but to keep the PC fresh.

TheSmogMonster
2018-05-09, 09:26 PM
So, I'm playing in a round robin DM game. I started us off, and a different roommate DM's whenever we pick up and we cycle through. I chose to play a tiefling Phoenix sorcerer flavored around the idea of altering temperatures. He tends to favor fire, but takes up Ice spells where he can. I try to go for spells that let me pick an element when casting if possible. Then we have our drunken monk and our bard who is trying to play pacifist both are good at what they do, but I fare and away have the best HP (We rolled stats, I got three 17's) and started at level 5. And I feel I should use this to some effect to help me be a partial tank or at least an annoyance on the front line for when fights do break out.

I've thought of taking a level or two in another class, but the only ones I can see that would help me are either warlock or Fighter to get some armor and weapon proficiencies but I am unsure as to how that might affect my build down the line. Keep in mind I'm not trying to optimize, and I want to keep on the theme of temperature variance. If anyone has an Idea or thought I would be grateful if you could share it.

Spell List as of now, Racials not included

Cantrips-
Prestidigitation
Control Flames,
Fire Bolt

Lvl 1:
Chromatic Orb
Mage Armor
Detect Magic

Lvl 2:
Blur
Dragon's Breath

Lvl 3:
Counterspell

Side note- I apologize if this is in the wrong category, wasn't sure where non optimization advice request would go.

Blood of Gaea
2018-05-09, 09:36 PM
You could scan through the Cleric subclasses, any of them get you medium armor + shields, and some give heavy armor. Light Cleric would probably fit thematically. Alternatively get Shield and absorb elements and use them with mage armor, maybe toss in a defensive feat.

TheSmogMonster
2018-05-10, 12:43 AM
You could scan through the Cleric subclasses, any of them get you medium armor + shields, and some give heavy armor. Light Cleric would probably fit thematically. Alternatively get Shield and absorb elements and use them with mage armor, maybe toss in a defensive feat.

Looked at the cleric stuff. Interesting but not quite with his theme. Absorb Elements is on my "get it" list for down the road. What kind of defensive feat would you suggest? I can spare a few levels on feats since my CHA is maxed and CON is 18 right now.

Blood of Gaea
2018-05-10, 01:01 AM
Looked at the cleric stuff. Interesting but not quite with his theme. Absorb Elements is on my "get it" list for down the road. What kind of defensive feat would you suggest? I can spare a few levels on feats since my CHA is maxed and CON is 18 right now.
Well, the two easiest choices would be Tough, which adds 2 hp per level, and Inspiring Leader that can grant you and your party CL+Cha Mod THP every short rest. Depending on if you multiclass or not, Heavy Armor Master or Medium Armor Master could also be useful.

If you decide to use blade cantrips, you might also like Warcaster, combined with Booming Blade it makes it a bit harder for monsters to run past you to the rest of the party, it also has a couple other nice benefits.

CTurbo
2018-05-10, 03:05 AM
1 or 2 levels of Hexblade would really up your AC and your melee attacks. Warcaster + Sentinel + Booming Blade/Green Flame Blade is great if you want to hit really hard and be tanky. Inspiring Leader is an amazing feat for anybody with a 20 Cha.

A couple of Paladin levels gets you all the armor and shield, fighting style, some healing, and smites.

A couple levels of Fighter is good for any build. Fighting Style, Action Surge, Second Wind
A couple levels of Rogue is good on any build. Expertise, Cunning Action, and possible sneak damage

Unoriginal
2018-05-10, 04:15 AM
Armor of Agathys is icy, so maybe Warlock?

Petrocorus
2018-05-10, 09:40 AM
+1 for the Hexblade. 2 levels would gives you GFB, AoA, some other cantrips and spells (Shield for instance). Plus medium armor and shield and Cha to melee attacks and dmg. And two invocations.

Fiendlock would fit thematically and if you take 3 levels, you can have access to Shillelagh.

Medium Armor Master or Heavy Armor Master (if you take Paladin or Fighter) can also improve your durability.

What exactly are your stats by now?

TheSmogMonster
2018-05-10, 01:11 PM
Wow, more help than I expected. Thank you.

warlock has been what I have been primarily eyeing, but I was thinking more Hexblade than infernal since I can easily obtain Fire spells via more Sorc levels. AoA is also something I have been looking at too. I will admit I hadn't considered Inspiring Leader, I may go for that ASAP. About the only problem I've seen multiclassing into Warlock/Paladin/Cleric is that currently he has no ties to anything other than his circus troupe. Also would I even be able to use AoA at higher levels with my Sorc slots? I've never figured that out with multiclassing Spell slingers.

Ugh, I think I'm overthinking this...

Blood of Gaea
2018-05-10, 05:37 PM
Wow, more help than I expected. Thank you.

warlock has been what I have been primarily eyeing, but I was thinking more Hexblade than infernal since I can easily obtain Fire spells via more Sorc levels. AoA is also something I have been looking at too. I will admit I hadn't considered Inspiring Leader, I may go for that ASAP. About the only problem I've seen multiclassing into Warlock/Paladin/Cleric is that currently he has no ties to anything other than his circus troupe. Also would I even be able to use AoA at higher levels with my Sorc slots? I've never figured that out with multiclassing Spell slingers.

Ugh, I think I'm overthinking this...
You prepare spells individually for each class you have and then can cast them from any of your spell slots unless a specific rule says otherwise.

So yeah, it would work.

TheSmogMonster
2018-05-11, 05:22 PM
Fiendlock would fit thematically and if you take 3 levels, you can have access to Shillelagh.

How would I get Shill-smack at lvl 3 Fiendlock?

Blood of Gaea
2018-05-11, 06:35 PM
How would I get Shill-smack at lvl 3 Fiendlock?
Pact of the Tome + Book of Ancient Secrets.

TheSmogMonster
2018-05-11, 07:51 PM

right, duh, keep forgetting about the tome honestly.

Petrocorus
2018-05-12, 05:26 PM

You don't need BoAS, just the Tome.