PDA

View Full Version : Cobra Kai: ALL the karate kids!

Peelee
2018-05-09, 11:09 PM
So I'm only halfway through the series so far, but it's pretty amazing.I really like how Johnny is an ass, but still manages to be the good guy in the series. I really like how he's kind of growing as a person, and his relationship with Miguel slowly grows into something really sweet. I'm excited to see where it goes.

An Enemy Spy
2018-05-09, 11:30 PM
What is Daniel like? From the trailer it looked like he was kind of a jerk and was still riding on the fact that he won a karate tournament when he was in high school.

Peelee
2018-05-09, 11:54 PM
What is Daniel like? From the trailer it looked like he was kind of a jerk and was still riding on the fact that he won a karate tournament when he was in high school.

One thing I really like it's that Danny and Johnny are both more complex. Daniel tries to be a good person, and mostly succeeds. But it also bites him, making him too trusting of people he shouldn't be. It also helps that this is done pretty well; in my position, I'd make the same mistakes Daniel does, because the warning signs are pretty well hidden (intentionally). And he's too quick to believe the worst in Johnny, which while not undeserved, doesn't help the situation.

Also, Daniel's business rivalry with Cole is pretty hilarious.

Dragonus45
2018-05-10, 10:27 AM
Yea Daniel is far from just coasting on past karate successes as a successful owner of multiple car lots. I found the way people react to him and his relationship with Mr Miyagi's culture interesting. For him stuff like the karate, the bonsai trees, his interest in traditional Japanese sushi making learned apparently across several more trips to Okinawa; it's all very important to him as something passed down by someone who was for all intents and purposes his adopted father. But so many other people see it as a gimmick, and to a degree he himself seems to have lost something since Mr. Miyagi passed. So his arc is actually really interesting to me and way to well written for a 30 year late youtube red sequel to a series of movies from the 80s.

Also, as someone who always liked the second movie more I kinda hope they manage to work something in from there.

I think the second season is likely to touch on the need for Balance in the Cobra Kai dojo. The ideas are all sound, don't wait for life to happen get out there and do it Strike First. Also I once got some great advice when I was , poorly, learning martial arts. Your odds of winning a fight go up if you don't wait for the person you are defending yourself to make the first punch, especially against multiple opponents. Put in everything you have into everything you do and make every blow in your karate a "killing" one is also great. The world doesn't give a crap about you and you can't expect people to do what they are supposed is a lesson we all need to learn at some point. But it all lacks balance, especially the No Mercy bit. Just because the world is harsh and unforgiving doesn't mean you have to be. It doesn't help that Johnny himself has only barely grown as a person even over the course of the series and didn't notice some of his students becoming everything that was wrong with Cobra Kai to begin with. Even if it is satisfying to watch characters like Miguel and Ali get vengeance that catharsis kind of hides the real concerns that sit under the surface of their actions.

And am I the only one who thinks that Tanner Buchanan has born movie star written all over his face? Is that just me? He really does seem to have the most compelling arc out of everyone and despite it being predictable he really does sell it.

Starbuck_II
2018-05-10, 11:24 AM
One thing I really like it's that Danny and Johnny are both more complex. Daniel tries to be a good person, and mostly succeeds. But it also bites him, making him too trusting of people he shouldn't be. It also helps that this is done pretty well; in my position, I'd make the same mistakes Daniel does, because the warning signs are pretty well hidden (intentionally). And he's too quick to believe the worst in Johnny, which while not undeserved, doesn't help the situation.

Also, Daniel's business rivalry with Cole is pretty hilarious.

Yes, it was pretty great so far (only ep 7 so far).

I like how he Johnny's star pupil starts as a "Daniel" then becomes a "Johnny". He dates the girl from another guy before a another new guy steals it away.

I mean Johnny's kid steals it away or at least I feel he will try.

Peelee
2018-05-10, 11:26 PM
Yes, it was pretty great so far (only ep 7 so far).

I like how he Johnny's star pupil starts as a "Daniel" then becomes a "Johnny". He dates the girl from another guy before a another new guy steals it away.

I mean Johnny's kid steals it away or at least I feel he will try.

Up to 7 now. Would be farther, but having internet issues.

It seems to be building more towards Johnny's kid learning from LaRusso to put off his dad and fighting against Miguel. So Johnny teaching the new "Daniel" and Daniel teaching the new "Johnny."

HalezYeah
2018-05-11, 10:42 AM
I may have to look into this now. I had assumed it would be bad just from the trailers as it did look like Danny became a pompous individual.

Peelee
2018-05-13, 12:07 AM
My FIL commented around the third episode that he really liked that while nobody was exactly right, nobody was really wrong either. I thought that was a good way to put it.

I really, really like Moon. Sam was never really one of the mean girls, but she didn't stop them from doing anything and she was kicked out of the group. Moon changed on her own volition,
and seemed genuinely sorry for what they had done. Even then, when Aisha wedgied Yasmine, Moon didn't laugh. She seemed to want to be at peace with everyone, and I really admire that. I really hope her role is expanded in season 2. I also hope she ditches Hawk; guy became exactly what he hated as soon as he got the chance. He doesn't deserve new Moon.