PDA

View Full Version : DM Help 3.5e I need help pricing a ring I gave my players.

BloodSnake'sCha
2018-05-10, 02:27 AM
Hello guys :)

I gave my players a ring the give them back half the power points after using a power 3/day(the Erudite was the only one without a nice magic item).

The problem is that I don't know how to price it(the Erudite player is the one in charge on the loot and he need the price).

I was thinking to price it like an Empower Rod but this ring work for all the powers, and the Greater Empower Rod look very expensive.

Acanous
2018-05-10, 02:33 AM
It’s closer to a low level pearl of power. 3/day gives half his points from a single manifestation back? That’s lv 3 pearl of power at best.

Kelb_Panthera
2018-05-10, 02:45 AM
It's closest in nature, so far as I can tell from your description, to a certain type of pearl of power.

That item only functions twice per day and for sixth level and lower spells at 70k gp.

That's your baseline.

First, multiply by 1.5 since it gets one extra use per day.

Second, multiply by 1.5 again because PP recharging is closer to a memento magicka than a PoP and cog crystals don't recharge on their own.

Then multiply by 0.5 because only half recharge instead of full.

So that's 70k * 1.5 * 1.5 * 0.5 = 78.75k if you limit it to 6th level and lower powers.

If you don't want to add that limit of 6th level and lower, I'd probably make that another 1.5X multiplier.

It's a stupendously powerful item you've given him. That price seems entirely reasonable to me.

Edit: I suppose you could cut that in half since it's taking a body slot. Round it off to 40k.

BloodSnake'sCha
2018-05-10, 03:45 AM
It's closest in nature, so far as I can tell from your description, to a certain type of pearl of power.

That item only functions twice per day and for sixth level and lower spells at 70k gp.

That's your baseline.

First, multiply by 1.5 since it gets one extra use power day.

Second, multiply by 1.5 again because PP recharging is closer to a memento magicka than a PoP and cog crystals don't recharge on their own.

Then multiply by 0.5 because only half recharge instead of full.

So that's 70k * 1.5 * 1.5 * 0.5 = 78.75k if you limit it to 6th level and lower powers.

If you don't want to add that limit of 6th level and lower, I'd probably make that another 1.5X multiplier.

It's a stupendously powerful item you've given him. That price seems entirely reasonable to me.

Edit: I suppose you could cut that in half since it's taking a body slot. Round it off to 40k.

Thank you, I am bad at this, 40k look great.

And I know that the item is powerful, the other PC got powerful items that I knew the price for(I was able to do it alone for the other items).

Troacctid
2018-05-10, 04:01 AM
It basically gives them extra power points per day equal to 1.5x their ML (at most). To me this feels like an item that I might reasonably expect to find around mid-high levels. Closest analogue is probably Circlet of Mages. I think I'd eyeball it as somewhere in the 10–20k gp range. Yeah, it's stronger than cognizance crystals, but cognizance crystals are also kinda garbage IMO so eh.

EDIT: A better comparison might be an item that gives you +6 to your primary casting stat, but only for the purpose of determining bonus PP. Remember, this item is gonna give out fewer extra power points than a Headband of Intellect +6 would, and that's only 36k gp.