PDA

View Full Version : Power Word Blind [Predictions]

JasonDoomsblade
2007-09-04, 07:59 PM
When do you people think Vaarsuvius will cast Power Word Blind? He/She has had that spell since strip 306. I WANT TO KNOW WHAT IT DOES!!!! Who has some ideas?

Setra
2007-09-04, 08:00 PM
The fact V was shown acquiring it means it will come of use eventually.

Or he uses it and it is completely useless, and he laments even bothering to get it.

TheElfLord
2007-09-04, 08:10 PM
I'm going to guess it blinds people. Just a silly thought I know, but I thought I'd put it out there.

Guildorn Tanaleth
2007-09-04, 08:23 PM
Hmm... if only there was some set of documents that could be used as a reference for the various elements of the D&D system. You could probably even turn these documents of system referencing into a website of some sort, with all of the cross-references made into hyperlinks. A "hypersite D&D DoSR", if you will. I'll bet something like that could tell you what Power Word Blind does.

[/sarcasm] (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/powerWordBlind.htm)

Spiky
2007-09-04, 10:58 PM
The fact V was shown acquiring it means it will come of use eventually.

Or he uses it and it is completely useless, and he laments even bothering to get it.

Not necessarily. It was there to make a specific joke, it may or may not make another.

Kurald Galain
2007-09-05, 01:52 AM
Not necessarily. It was there to make a specific joke, it may or may not make another.

Oh, it's easy to make one where V tries to cast it by saying one word, and gets annoyed because s/he has to pronounce three...

David Argall
2007-09-05, 01:55 AM
V has never been one to use one word when one hundred will do.

Dinkyass
2007-09-05, 04:31 AM
While we're at it, I'd also like to ask if anyone has any theories on why V has yet to use spells that he/she has mentioned he/she has, such as Wish, or Meteor Swarm. I'm no D&D player, so I'm not familiar with the rules, save from what I can pick up while reading OotS, so would anyone be kind enough to explain?:smallbiggrin:

kpenguin
2007-09-05, 04:38 AM
While we're at it, I'd also like to ask if anyone has any theories on why V has yet to use spells that he/she has mentioned he/she has, such as Wish, or Meteor Swarm. I'm no D&D player, so I'm not familiar with the rules, save from what I can pick up while reading OotS, so would anyone be kind enough to explain?:smallbiggrin:

The last few spells V mentioned to Zz'dtri were probably out of exasperation, since Wish, Meteor Swarm, and Time Stop are all level 9 spells, far out of V's reach.

wojonatior
2007-09-05, 05:40 AM
mabey pw:b will me a spell that majorly saves thier life in the future.

JasonDoomsblade
2007-09-05, 03:36 PM
The last few spells V mentioned to Zz'dtri were probably out of exasperation, since Wish, Meteor Swarm, and Time Stop are all level 9 spells, far out of V's reach.

Penguin has brought up an interesting point. I'm no D&D player either, but 9th Level doesn't seem very high. Then again, I'm a WarCraft player which the max level is 500. So what's the max level for D&D?

Calamity
2007-09-05, 03:39 PM
Max character level in a class before epic levels is 20

Max spell level for Sorcerors and Wizards is 9.

So 9 is actually extremely high

squidthingy
2007-09-05, 03:47 PM
Penguin has brought up an interesting point. I'm no D&D player either, but 9th Level doesn't seem very high. Then again, I'm a WarCraft player which the max level is 500. So what's the max level for D&D?

you have to be level 17 or higher to cast a ninth level spell, not level 9

JasonDoomsblade
2007-09-05, 04:02 PM
Max character level in a class before epic levels is 20

Max spell level for Sorcerors and Wizards is 9.

So 9 is actually extremely high

Ok cool. One thing though. Xykon states that he is 6 or 7 levels higher than Roy (RIP) before he kills him. Xykon is a caster(max level 9), so does that mean Roy(not a caster about level 4 apparently[max level 20), in retrospect, kinda sucks?

squidthingy
2007-09-05, 04:07 PM
xykon can cast at least 7 ninth level spells per day, that makes him over level 20 (epic level), 6/7 levels lower is probaly around twenty if not over so roy doesn't really suck at all

Squark
2007-09-05, 04:15 PM
Technicly he does, but thats just because he took a bad class. Fighters are underpowered.

Threeshades
2007-09-05, 04:31 PM
Ok cool. One thing though. Xykon states that he is 6 or 7 levels higher than Roy (RIP) before he kills him. Xykon is a caster(max level 9), so does that mean Roy(not a caster about level 4 apparently[max level 20), in retrospect, kinda sucks?
Uhm i think you misunderstood that.
There are different kinds of levels we are talking about.

The class level is the number levels a character has teken in a certain class.

The Character level is the total number of class levels a character has.

The Spell level is completely independent from these. A spellcaster like a wizard, cleric, sorcerer or druid always has approximately a spell level that's half of his class level. (So a Level 8 sorcerer can cast level 4 spells for example)

A Caster can reach character level 20 as well as any other character. He can also have a class level of 20 in his class.
But maximum SPELL level is 9. For every 2 character levels as a sorcerer, Xykon gains one spell level. So to have a spell level of 9, Xykon must be at least a level 18 sorcerer.
Short a spellcasters spell level is usually approximately

wojonatior
2007-09-05, 09:31 PM
i thought we were talking about power word blind?

Jasdoif
2007-09-05, 09:47 PM
There are different kinds of levels we are talking about.Indeed. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0012.html)

As for why V hasn't used Power Word Blind yet, I'd guess it's because there hasn't been much of a use for it during the battle. Power Word Blind only affects a single creature, so it's pretty silly against a horde of hobgoblins. It's also a mind-affecting spell, meaning undead (like the death knight) are immune to its effects. And removing the elementals was a better plan then blinding one, since they could do a lot of damage just blindly flailing at the walls. Being as tough as earth elements, they'd have too many hit points for the spell to do much good anyway; they'd only be blinded for a few rounds.

Wesc
2007-09-06, 10:59 AM
Xykon was guessing, it might not have been accurate.

Roderick_BR
2007-09-06, 02:54 PM
V has never been one to use one word when one hundred will do.
QFT: http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0010.html

Chronos
2007-09-06, 03:42 PM
xykon can cast at least 7 ninth level spells per day, that makes him over level 20 (epic level), 6/7 levels lower is probaly around twenty if not over so roy doesn't really suck at allOr he just has a really high charisma. If he had a charisma of 28 or higher, he'd get a bonus 9th-level spell. And while a 28 charisma is pretty impressive, it's not actually out of his reach, between points gained from levelling up, points gained from aging, and points from becomming a lich. Xykon is at least level 20, but there's no evidence that he's any higher, which would make his "What, seven levels less?" speech to Roy accurate (since the Order is otherwise determined to be level 13).

NerfTW
2007-09-06, 04:02 PM
Don't feel bad, Jason, there's actually an entire strip about the class level/spell level/dungeon level confusion.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0012.html

Drglenn
2007-09-06, 10:37 PM
xykon can cast at least 7 ninth level spells per day, that makes him over level 20 (epic level), 6/7 levels lower is probaly around twenty if not over so roy doesn't really suck at all

You don't gain any extra spells for epic levels (unless you multiclass or increase your spellcasting ability score (the ability score you use to cast spells, charisma for sorcerers such as Xykon)), so Xykon is probably a lvl 20 with high charisma and Roy was probably around level 13/14 (he will be level 12/13 when he gets revived)

To actually contribute to the topic, V probably hasn't cast power word blind yet because:
1: she/he hasn't been in a situation where it is necessary
2: she/he has more important spells to cast

Regneva
2007-09-07, 08:20 AM
Oh, it's easy to make one where V tries to cast it by saying one word, and gets annoyed because s/he has to pronounce three...

That would be soo funny, it will make the strip