PDA

View Full Version : Racial stats and abilities for a Grung PC?

Quoz
2018-05-10, 04:45 AM
Playing ToA and I want to have a backup character if my sorcerer dies. A Grung of some sort would be a fun play and easy to fit in given our current location. Are there any official stats for them as a PC race?

Trying to interpret from stat blocks it looks like bonus to Dex and Con (probably the standard +2/+1), amphibious with requirement to soak 1/day or suffer exhaustion, improved Jump (15' High/25' Long, no need for running start), poison immunity and contact poison (DC 12 Con or poisoned condition). Small size, speed 25'.

And then there's the question of what to play. Rogue or trickster cleric are obvious choices. The abilities are almost perfect for a monk, especially with poisoned unarmed strikes. But I'm thinking a paladin to a chaotic trickster god would be a hilarious thing to play. Any other thoughts on where I could head with this idea?

FelineArchmage
2018-05-10, 05:07 AM
Playing ToA and I want to have a backup character if my sorcerer dies. A Grung of some sort would be a fun play and easy to fit in given our current location. Are there any official stats for them as a PC race?

Trying to interpret from stat blocks it looks like bonus to Dex and Con (probably the standard +2/+1), amphibious with requirement to soak 1/day or suffer exhaustion, improved Jump (15' High/25' Long, no need for running start), poison immunity and contact poison (DC 12 Con or poisoned condition). Small size, speed 25'.

And then there's the question of what to play. Rogue or trickster cleric are obvious choices. The abilities are almost perfect for a monk, especially with poisoned unarmed strikes. But I'm thinking a paladin to a chaotic trickster god would be a hilarious thing to play. Any other thoughts on where I could head with this idea?

There is an online only supplement called One Grung Above that has the official stats youre looking for.

nickl_2000
2018-05-10, 06:34 AM

What about a naked barbarian? Dex + con would be great for that.

Ventruenox
2018-05-10, 07:00 AM
Monk is amazing on a Grung. Step of the Wind combines with their natural jumping ability to great effect. If you happen to score Slippers of Spider Climb, you can do hit and run tactics in three dimensions. Using a spear or other piercing weapon lets you capitalize on their natural poison for possible extra damage as part of each attack.

I would strongly suggest a Druid dip or Magic Initiate for Mold Earth + Create Water to compensate for the racial drawback requiring 1 hour of immersion per day. If you go Druid 3, you can set up your own AoE traps and have amazing utility potential as well. If Spore Druid is allowed, that is a non-concentration Hex/Hunter's Mark equivalent buff to all your attacks by using wildshape.

Oh, and Jump spell + Dash action + Step of the Wind + Mobile feat would let you leap 150' on your turn.