PDA

View Full Version : DM Help [3.X] Wyrd

Thurbane
2018-05-10, 06:04 AM
So, the Wyrd is a 3rd party 3.0 d20 race.

Details can be found in the free preview here (https://freeronin.com/gr_files/b_and_b_pre.pdf).

As a PC, the LA +6 makes it basically unplayable.

But I was wondering, to use it as an NPC/villain, what would you peg it's Challenge Rating at?

It doesn't appear to have racial HD, which means it would only have class levels. The CR for a Drow, for instance, is class levels +1 (for PC classes).

Cheers - T

ExLibrisMortis
2018-05-10, 06:11 AM
+30 competence on Jump is the worst way to reflect a supernatural flying heritage :smallsigh:.

With +2 sorcerer casting, it's probably +2 LA/+2 CR. The stat boosts make up for the lost skills, saves, base attack.

zlefin
2018-05-10, 07:11 AM
I'd say it's either +2 or +3; I could see an argument for either. it feels a touch strong for a +2, but a bit weak for a +3.

daremetoidareyo
2018-05-10, 07:29 AM
Roughly, At first level, this thing is CR 4. At sixth level this thing is CR 8. At 12th level this thing is CR 13. At 16th level this thing is CR=class level.

Telonius
2018-05-10, 08:21 AM
I'd say a weak +3 CR. It is a bit light on the power for that, but if it's at all Sorcerer-focused, it's casting two levels above what it ought to (though with fewer hit dice, fewer hit points and less BAB and saves than a Sorc 2 levels higher would get). Add in spell resistance, a Type that makes Charm/Dominate/Hold Person not work against it, and bonuses to two stats you care about (Charisma and Constitution) - very close to the line, but it seems like a +3 to me.

Jormengand
2018-05-11, 04:40 AM
Definitely +3 for LA or CR: two levels of casting (you'll only play one if you're going sorcerer, really), enough CON to cover the hit point and fort loss, enough STR to cover the BAB loss twice over and give you more damage and carrying, enough WIS to nearly cover the will loss, INT for more skill points, more CHA which you love, and all of the skill bonuses you get from having higher stats, then SR and also the fact that being large can be pretty helpful (Gish! Gish! Gish!), and the +30 to jump has gotta be useful for something.

DeTess
2018-05-11, 06:04 AM
and the +30 to jump has gotta be useful for something.

Many tiger claw martial maneuvers use the jump skill in one way or another.

Fouredged Sword
2018-05-11, 06:21 AM

An interesting swordsage / sorcerer / JPM.

GrayDeath
2018-05-11, 11:56 AM
An interesting swordsage / sorcerer / JPM.

That was my first thought when I looked at this. Or maybe even Warblade.

I agree with the overall +3ish, a strong one until around Level (for the race) 3-4, a weak one alter on.

Fouredged Sword
2018-05-11, 12:20 PM
That was my first thought when I looked at this. Or maybe even Warblade.

I agree with the overall +3ish, a strong one until around Level (for the race) 3-4, a weak one alter on.

I would put it at +3 in situations with LA buyoff. It is a bit weak at the start with +3 LA but you are LA zero at level 18, so you are all good there. Slightly better than Kobold for those levels with a harder early game and easier end game.

lylsyly
2018-05-11, 12:20 PM
Thank you very much Thurbane. Just so happens that I have been looking for something unusual for a BBEGs bodyguard.
And it is a gestalt game.

Sorcerer 9/Swordsage 1/JPM 10///Duskblade 20 Perhaps. hmmm.... time to start another thread ;D

Goaty14
2018-05-11, 04:41 PM

Some of them make a jump check vs AC to work. Since it is a skill check, you don't fail on a 1, and basically hit everything.

Thurbane
2018-05-11, 07:22 PM
Thank you very much Thurbane. Just so happens that I have been looking for something unusual for a BBEGs bodyguard.
And it is a gestalt game.

Sorcerer 9/Swordsage 1/JPM 10///Duskblade 20 Perhaps. hmmm.... time to start another thread ;D

Cool. Glad I could spark your imagination.

And thanks to everyone for the feedback. I think I'll go with CR +3 for use as an encounter.