PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Favorite Monster Outside Bestiary 1?

Palanan
2018-05-10, 06:51 AM
So, in the spirit of a concurrent thread involving the 3.5 monster manuals, what’s your favorite monster from Bestiaries 2 through 6? Pathfinder has plenty of its own unique critters, and I’d love to hear your favorites, whether for reason of their mechanics, their role in a campaign, or just their general vibe.

As in the other thread, let’s skip PC races, and crazy-obscure is a good thing. Also open to creatures from other Paizo supplements, but let’s keep it first-party for now.

I could nominate half of Bestiary 5, but out of that whole book the first one that springs to mind is the liminal sprite. They have a tantalizing bit of backstory, they have an intriguing liability, and there’s a plaintive melancholy to how they’re forced to live.

I’ve had one in my campaign for a while now, which started as an encounter which really baffled the players; and since that went better than expected, the sprite has tagged along with the party, and one of the PCs has become very attached to her. It’s great when a creature can provide both a challenging encounter as well as an emotional connection with a player.

Psyren
2018-05-10, 08:56 AM
Whoops, I gave my Pathfinder answer in the other thread, but I'm happy to restate/paraphrase it here.

My favorite PF monsters are the Aeons (TN Outsiders) both in design and aesthetic. The humanoid-looking ones like the Lipika (B5) and Pleroma (B2) are both ominous looking and extremely powerful.

Ninjaxenomorph
2018-05-10, 05:35 PM
I could pull stuff I like from all the bestiaries, but I really like the Outer Dragons, as well as the Sahkil and especially the Manasaputra.

unseenmage
2018-05-10, 08:16 PM
The Android for PCs.

The Homunculus because its moddable.

And the Tattoo Guardian because it's wearable.

Acanous
2018-05-11, 12:17 AM
Got to go with the Mud Grue on this one. It’s super iconic

Eldariel
2018-05-11, 12:52 AM
I quite like Zuishin. Shooting life into people. Fairly loyal to its source as well.

Helluin
2018-05-11, 01:38 AM
Whisperer is my favourite - perfectly captures the cruel fair folk aspect of the Fey - they are evil not because they necessarily enjoy taking the life of a mortal, but because their existence is enough to create a faerie so dangerously enchanting that those who enter simply cannot leave, and can only slowly waste away in this alien, cruel realm.

Second favourite is the Memitim Psychopomp, Angels of death, and guardians of souls. What’s not to love?

Acanous
2018-05-11, 01:49 AM
Oh hey it’s Eldariel :D
One of my groups has a printed and stapled copy of “being bane”. I think I’ve used your guide more than any other handbook. 2nd place went to the BG necromancer’s handbook. Good times mate.

Eldariel
2018-05-12, 12:48 AM
Oh hey it’s Eldariel :D
One of my groups has a printed and stapled copy of “being bane”. I think I’ve used your guide more than any other handbook. 2nd place went to the BG necromancer’s handbook. Good times mate.

*bows* Glad to be of service

Florian
2018-05-12, 04:43 AM
Oh, that's a tough question, especially when it comes to the bestiary appendix of each AP.

Ah, well, I generally have a fondness for using fey and hags, but when having to decide on a single entry? Witchcrow from B5. Damn good plot device by itself and a pretty versatile debuffer monster.

Palanan
2018-05-12, 08:37 AM
Originally Posted by Florian
Witchcrow from B5. Damn good plot device by itself and a pretty versatile debuffer monster.

Word. I used one for several sessions recently, and rarely have my players been so personally cheesed at a monster. For some reason that thing really got under their skin.