PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying Help fleshing out OotA Paladin

Skuxintux
2018-05-10, 09:01 AM
Hey everyone! I need help fleshing out a character I'm working on but I don't seem to know what direction to take him roleplay-wise.

Here's what I have in mind: He's a Firbolg Oath of the Ancients Paladin who has been secretly training in the Feywild with an ancient god. He does this because he doesn't want to become a druid and stay in his tribe, he wants to venture out of the forest.

When he returns one day to his tribe he is threatened with expulsion, his tribe members found out about this and told him that he broke the code of the Firbolgs. For them, greed is evil and he is considered greedy for power. So he was exiled from the tribe.

Despite is expulsion, he tries to remain optimistic about his situation. He’s loyal, caring, and much braver than he thinks. Very soft-spoken but is always talking to plants and animals, because he can communicate with them. He can be very down-to-earth, kind and warm-hearted.

On the flip side, his is shy and perhaps too selfless, he seldom convey his own feelings and thoughts to others, specifically if it means having others help them. I'm trying to expound more on his flaws.

If you have any idea and suggestions as to how I could develop his personality better, it'll be greately appreciated. Thank you for reading!

ProseBeforeHos
2018-05-10, 09:04 AM
His personality seems well defined. I'd more worry about how this character ties in specifically with OOTA - an underdark themes campaign where the major themes are a) being a fish out of water b) the decent into madness and c) demons.

IMO he needs something in his backstory to tie him into the adventure a little more solidly.

Skuxintux
2018-05-10, 09:14 AM
His personality seems well defined. I'd more worry about how this character ties in specifically with OOTA - an underdark themes campaign where the major themes are a) being a fish out of water b) the decent into madness and c) demons.

IMO he needs something in his backstory to tie him into the adventure a little more solidly.

Oh, I meant Oath of the Ancients as his paladin path :smallredface:

Thanks!

sophontteks
2018-05-10, 09:35 AM
Sounds good. It'll be fun to watch him driven mad.

Do not tie him into OOTA!
The campaign works best when the character has no ties to the underdark what-so-ever. It's supposed to be about forcing the players into an unknown foreign land they are unaccustomed to. Its made to be played with no tie-ins.

Your character is a great fit into the campaign as-is. Being a rare race won't be a problem there. Ancients Paladin is a very strong choice. And his personality gives both you and the DM plenty to work with.

Nidgit
2018-05-10, 11:14 AM
Sounds like you're really off to a great start! He's selfless to a fault and rarely puts his own interests above others', yeah? Maybe he's also too agreeable and reluctant to voice contrary opinions, even if he's got a better point.

I'd probably add both a trigger and an additional hobby. There's probably something that makes your boy extra mad and a lot rougher, presumably tied to his beliefs or history. A hobby like sketching, singing, or woodcarving could be a fun ribbon to add an unexpected dimension.

Another good way to flesh him out is to think how he interacts with others related to his past. Obviously, think what his relationship to his family might be and how it stands out from the rest of his tribe. Think about how he might react to meeting other Firbolgs or druids unaffiliated with his tribe too.