ST 10
DE 14
CO 16
IN 16
WI 10
CH 8

Urchin background base to his “story”
Resilent CO feat.

Wizard 1. Played in Epic. Fought off Pirate Zombies at gangplank with ranged spells/missile support by 5 other Tier 1 characters. Decided this might be fluke.

Wizard 2. Abjuration school. First two encounters involved Goblins and Dire Wolf up close and personal, watched Level three Paladin one shot killed by Dire Wolf between him and me with Goblins adjacent to me. I need some other tools than a dagger moment.

Fighter 1. FS dueling (if I have to fight) Scale armor. Shield. Rapier. Of course it was an underwater con game without armor or shield to avoid really tough exhaustion rules.

Approaching Wizard 3 (315 xp) and then Wizard 4. Up to Breast Plate, Rapier +1 (Fai Chen,) HCB and spells.

So when I hitWizard 4 which of these seems most useful?

DE 14 to 16?

CO 16 to 18?

IN 16 to 18?

Warcaster?

Other ideas?

Looking to get Wizard 5 then Fighter 2 before Wizard 18, if I get that far.

KorvinStarmast
2018-05-10, 09:30 AM
Boost Int. Spell DC and Spell attack rolls matter.

sophontteks
2018-05-10, 09:38 AM
You boost int.

Contrast
2018-05-10, 10:04 AM
I believe adventurers league lets you rebuild characters if they're only level 4 yes?

I'd be inclined to rebuild taking your first level in fighter. Start off with con prof lets you take warcaster or some other feat of choice instead and you get heavy armour.

Do you actually care about being able to fight or were you just trying to get better armour and action surge? As it stands your ability to contribute in combat is going to quickly drop off next level when everyone else gets extra attack and your cantrips suddenly seem much more appealing in comparison.

Simple answer though is that if you care about being a wizard mostly, get +2 int.

sophontteks
2018-05-10, 10:48 AM
I believe adventurers league lets you rebuild characters if they're only level 4 yes?

I'd be inclined to rebuild taking your first level in fighter. Start off with con prof lets you take warcaster or some other feat of choice instead and you get heavy armour.

Do you actually care about being able to fight or were you just trying to get better armour and action surge? As it stands your ability to contribute in combat is going to quickly drop off next level when everyone else gets extra attack and your cantrips suddenly seem much more appealing in comparison.

Simple answer though is that if you care about being a wizard mostly, get +2 int.

This.

You're no fighter. You're a bulkier wizard with less powerful spells. Level 5 will be more painful then most as the other casters will be rolling with level 3 spells. And like contrast said, you'll be using cantrips because you won't have a second attack. You don't want to be hurting your casting ability even further by not taking int.

ZorroGames
2018-05-10, 02:05 PM
The fighter level was a response to no one else willing to melee despite being martial in class in first game plus the surrounded in two consecutive ambushes event in the second.

The Armor was the big drive, the ability to hit back when adjacent to dangerous foes reliably was distant second.

Pass on rebuild because this was story driven and I started with Resilent Con.

Character will get 3rd level spells one level late but will survive until then this way IMO. Need to find some braver martial for my AL gaming obviously. A Wizard should never be left to hold a gangplank from undead pirates by themself.

ZorroGames
2018-05-10, 02:08 PM
Will live long enough to boost IN as my goal. 🤪

sophontteks
2018-05-10, 02:14 PM
The fighter level was a response to no one else willing to melee despite being martial in class in first game plus the surrounded in two consecutive ambushes event in the second.

The Armor was the big drive, the ability to hit back when adjacent to dangerous foes reliably was distant second.

Pass on rebuild because this was story driven and started with Resilent Con.

Character will get 3rd level spells one level late but will survive until then this way IMO. Need to find some braver martial for my AL gaming obviously. A Wizard should never be left to hold a gangplank from undead pirates by themself.
Yeah I'm not knocking the decision. Just level 5 isn't your time to shine :smallbiggrin:

nickl_2000
2018-05-10, 02:16 PM
A Wizard should never be left to hold a gangplank from undead pirates by themself.

I disagree with this assessment

https://media.giphy.com/media/njYrp176NQsHS/giphy.gif

ZorroGames
2018-05-10, 02:23 PM
Yeah I'm not knocking the decision. Just level 5 isn't your time to shine :smallbiggrin:

Quite right.

ZorroGames
2018-05-10, 02:26 PM
I disagree with this assessment

https://media.giphy.com/media/njYrp176NQsHS/giphy.gif

Okay. Amend my statement to a 1st level Wizard 🧙 with 3rd and 4th level associates.

I did feel like I was playing Gandalf on the bridge without the power (or even a sword.). I wanted to kiss the dagger post battle...

Contrast
2018-05-10, 03:47 PM

Pass on rebuild because this was story driven and I started with Resilent Con.

Sounds like it wasn't so much story driven as it was practicality driven :smalltongue: I'd argue that particularly given this is AL, its unlikely anyone but you would ever even notice the change and the character would still be 'wizard dude who can wear armour'. Up to you though.

If you just want to a wizard, I'd go +2 int though I can see an argument for warcaster.

ZorroGames
2018-05-10, 05:06 PM
Sounds like it wasn't so much story driven as it was practicality driven :smalltongue: I'd argue that particularly given this is AL, its unlikely anyone but you would ever even notice the change and the character would still be 'wizard dude who can wear armour'. Up to you though.

If you just want to a wizard, I'd go +2 int though I can see an argument for warcaster.

I am leaning more and more to +2 IN.

Maybe with the armor and less “filling in” for the martial characters I can contribute from back rank my fair share. 🤨

🤪 Bought a Heavy Crossbow with treasure from last game until I get more effective spells, though sleep (for second game after we actually arrived at the dungeon) and Magic Missile did yeoman’s work versus the kobolds. Looking forward to second level spells soon. There are bigger monsters than goblins, kobolds and Dire Wolves (though the last was a cast iron b**** to melee with dagger and robe.)