PDA

View Full Version : Some help/suggestions for Genasi refluffed with Wu Xing in mind

Sahe
2018-05-10, 10:39 AM
Ok, so I'm currently planning a campaign set in a world heavily influenced by Chinese Mythology and such and I thought it would be a cool thing to refluff the Genasi around Wu Xing or the Five Elements (Wood, Earth, Metal, Water and Fire).

Also, in Wuxing each element has an opposing Element that destroys it, so I assign the five elemental damage types of DnD each to another element:
Wood = Acid
Earth = Thunder
Metal = Lightning
Water = Cold
Fire = Fire

So here is what I have so far:

General Genasi Traits:

Ability Score Increase: +2 Constitution

Speed: 30 feet

Languages: Common (no Primordial since that isn't relevant to my setting)

Subraces: Wood Genasi, Earth Genasi, Metal Genasi, Water Genasi, Fire Genasi

Wood Genasi Traits:
Ability Score Increase: +1 Wisdom

Wood's resistance: You have resistance to Acid damage

The bamboo that bends: Know the primal savagery cantrip. At 3rd level cast Barkskin once per long rest without expending a spell slot or needing a material component.

Metal splits wood: You have vulnerability to Lightning damage.

Earth Genasi Traits:
Ability Score Increase: +1 Strength

Earth Walk: Ignore difficult terrain made of earth or stone

Merge with Stone: Know the mold earth cantrip. At 3rd Level cast pass without trace once per long rest without expending a spell slot or needing a material component.

Earth's resistance: You have resistance to Thunder damage.

Wood parts Earth: Yu have vulnerability to Acid damage.

Metal Genasi Traits:
Ability Score Increase: +1 Intelligence

Metal's Resistance: You are resistant to Lightning damage.

Fire melts metal: You have vulnerability to Fire damage.

Water Genasi Traits:
Ability Score Increase: +1 Charisma

Water's Resistance: You have resistance to Cold damage.

Amphibious: Can breathe air and water.

Swim: You have a swimming speed equal to your movement.

Call the Wave: Know the shape water cantrip. At 3rd level cast create or destroy water as a 2nd level spell once per long rest without expending a spell slot.

Earth dams Water: You are vulnerable to Thunder damage

Fire Genasi Traits:
Ability Score Increase +1 Dexterity

Darkvision: 60 feet range

Fire Resistance: You have resistance to fire damage

Reach to the blaze: Know control flames and produce flame cantrips. At 3rd level cast burning hands as a 2nd level spell once per long rest without expending a spell slot.

Water extinguishes Fire: You are vulnerable to Cold damage

Obviously there is still some stuff missing. Especially for Wood and Metal. Any ideas/suggestions/questions?

Eärendle
2018-05-10, 12:46 PM
Will the standard fantasy races be present as well?

Sahe
2018-05-10, 01:24 PM
Most of them, yes are at least present mechanically, though they may be refluffed a bit here and there and certain aspects of them are different (for example most races have human like age ranges)

Stuff from Volo's and Tortles probs won't be an option, at least for my players.

Beechgnome
2018-05-10, 01:49 PM
I like the idea, but wondered about how you assigned resistances/vulnerabilities.

I would keep fire the way it is, and keep the resistances for Water and Wood but then change the following:

Give Wood vulnerability to fire.
Give water vulnerability to lightning.
Give Earth resistance to lightning but vulnerability to thunder (earth elementals actually have this vulnerability).
Give metal resistance to thunder but vulnerability to acid (corrosion).

There are some balance issues for wood who get a lousy resistance and a common vulnerability but that could be addressed with some other perk.

Or, perhaps you could get rid of vulnerabilities entirely.

Sahe
2018-05-10, 03:59 PM
Mmh, I based it on this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wu_Xing

And assigned each Element one of the Elemental Damage Types that I thought fit best.

I guess I might be able to shuffle them around a bit.

It's also why I switched around the Ability Increases.