PDA

View Full Version : Lightning arrow + Javelin of Lightning?

Climbover73
2018-05-10, 10:40 AM
A character using a javelin of lightning that speaks its command word then uses their bonus action to cast the lightning arrow spell on/with that same javelin before hurling it? Will the two effects stack this way for combined damage dice? (4d6 lightning + 3rd level casting 4d8/2d8 lightning arrow)

I've no doubt this has been asked before. I lean toward this probably being a no, but only because it seems to sweet to be true.

The only thing I see making it a possible no is that in the lightning arrow spell description, it says; "The target takes 4d8 lightning damage on a hit, or half as much on a miss, instead of the weapons normal damage"

However, I would think the weapons "normal damage" is the 1d6 physical damage of the javelin since the javelin of lightning description says; "On a hit, the target takes damage from the javelin, plus 4d6 lightning damage". So is the lightning damage gained from speaking the weapons command word considered part of the weapons "normal damage"? I would definitely say the 1d6 physical is lost due to lightning arrows spell description, just not sure about the 4d6 lightning gained from speaking the command word.

JackPhoenix
2018-05-10, 10:42 AM
There's no "hit" when you use the javelin to turn it into lightning, as the effect is save-based, no attack roll is involved.

Climbover73
2018-05-10, 11:10 AM
There's no "hit" when you use the javelin to turn it into lightning, as the effect is save-based, no attack roll is involved.

In the description of javelin of lightning it states that the target of your javelin takes 4d6 lightning damage, plus the javelins damage, on a hit. I'm not speaking of the dex save damage only.