PDA

View Full Version : Player Help multiclasing

liamkirkwood
2018-05-10, 11:21 AM
i am a bit confused i want to multiclass wizard and warlock but the fact that warlocks regain spell slots on a short rest and wizards dont has me wondering whether i would regain them or not

Haydensan
2018-05-10, 11:25 AM
Pact Magic has special rules for multiclassing as described in the PHB.

Basically mc'ing warlock with wizard you should just treat your spell slots as two different sets when it comes to recharging them.

Your pact magic slots will match up to the warlock table depending on how many warlock levels you have and your normal "wizard" slots to the wizard table.

Your wizard slots will recharge on long rest and your warlock slots on short. You can use either for any of the spells you know/prepare.

Tetrasodium
2018-05-10, 11:25 AM
i am a bit confused i want to multiclass wizard and warlock but the fact that warlocks regain spell slots on a short rest and wizards dont has me wondering whether i would regain them or not

It is explained on phb164. because the two sets of spell slots are so different, you get pact magic warlock slots as if you are a level whatever warlock level that work like warlock spell slots of that level warlock and you get normal spell slots as if you were a level whatever wizard that work like a wizard of that level would normally expect their spell slots to work.

Ventruenox
2018-05-10, 11:27 AM
On a short rest you would regain your Warlock spell slots, and once a day you would also recover up to half your Wizard level (round up) in Wizard spell slots (up to level 6) via Arcane Recovery.

Quoxis
2018-05-10, 11:27 AM
You regain your warlock slots according to your warlock level (one 1st-level slot on one level of warlock, two on a second level of warlock, two 2nd level slots instead of the former at third level etc.; your spell slots get added, they don’t mix). That’s rather clearly described in the multiclassing section of the phb.

ZorroGames
2018-05-10, 05:14 PM
Search for PeteNutButter’s “Ultimate Optimizer’s multiclassing” thread.

Or go to:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?502248-Ultimate-Optimizer-s-Multiclassing-Guide

Has sections on Wizard and Warlock MCs and dips.

ZorroGames
2018-05-10, 05:15 PM
“You might call this an Egoist, or something similar, an arcane caster so obsessed with power that they look for its secrets anywhere.

A wizard who dips warlock gains some different spells, short rest slots, possibly invocations and a pact. There are some interesting combinations here but most are too MAD to be seriously competent. A good example of a niche build is a necromancer that picks up 5 levels in warlock in order to use short rest slots to cast more animate dead's per day. It is gimmicky and requires an excess number of short rest to even compete with the slots generated by taking more levels in wizard. This is probably best left for niche builds.”

ZorroGames
2018-05-10, 05:17 PM
“A warlock who dips wizard gains little in comparison to other options. There are some good subclass features that could be appealing, but overall most of what could be achieved with this is done better by a Warlock/Sorcerer. This is best left for niche builds.”