PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder A little help with this system?

SangoProduction
2018-05-10, 04:26 PM
So, I am running a pure Spheres game (SoP/SoM/CotS (excluding Sage)), so there's not chain gating and what not (though there are very low-investment casting companions, no one's...abused that yet). So, yes, for the most part, SoP still does much of what SoM does but better, but this isn't a balancing move.

I am running a game where the party explored the last bastion of of...well...life..and unlife as it would turn out, being within a giant tower that's been shoved in to the ground like an oversized javelin. The reason the world is in such a state because the Immaterial (the source of magic) has started to go...chaotic.

So, I wanted to introduce a minor mechanic that would show rather than simply tell the players that's the case, and pretend that they are just the chosen ones and are completely unaffected.

Thus, I was going to introduce an exploding 5% wild magic chance when using at least 1 spell point on a sphere effect, which uses the wild magic table(s) in the latest book. This is cumulative with actual wild magic chance from drawbacks or whatnot, but resets to 5% for further exploding dice. (Higher than 100% automatically rolls over to the next explosion die and always inflicts 1 chaos level. So 110% wild magic chance means the roll is actually against 5% + (110-100)% chance of the second chaos level.)
If it explodes and rolls the 5% again, then it rolls on the Perils of the Warp (http://extraheresy.wikia.com/wiki/Perils_of_the_Warp). Further explosions are unique to the situation, but are rarely going to be in their favor. (That is, if they roll the 1/8,000 chance.)

Obviously, there will be 'wild storms' and such which affect the wild magic chance, potions of serenity and all that.

To control this, casters get 1 'Order token' which can be used to stop the exploding dice, and reduce the chaos level (ie. number of 5%'s rolled thus far) by 1 , +1 per 7 levels in casting classes.

So, what do you think of it? Wild Magic on its own can sometimes be beneficial, and don't tend to be too bad when they are, so the chances of having something pretty bad happen to you is only 1/400, and you've got a resource you can use to control the risk. Further, you can avoid taking a risk at all by using the free, minor effects of the spheres, rather than going all-out.

Do you think this adds to the setting without being obtrusive?

Dr_Dinosaur
2018-05-11, 08:35 PM
It seems a tad overcomplicated when the Wild Magic handbook just dropped

EldritchWeaver
2018-05-12, 11:07 AM
How do exploding dice work? And how many order tokens do you get in which interval under which conditions? In other words, do you get them back every day after roughly 8 hours of rest?

Personally, giving every the variant wild magic drawback and allow them to take one of the feats, which reduces the wild magic chance because they are special sounds simply enough to effectively get want you want. The players can evade magic surges to some extent, but see mishaps during their adventures.

SangoProduction
2018-05-12, 01:36 PM
How do exploding dice work? And how many order tokens do you get in which interval under which conditions? In other words, do you get them back every day after roughly 8 hours of rest?

Personally, giving every the variant wild magic drawback and allow them to take one of the feats, which reduces the wild magic chance because they are special sounds simply enough to effectively get want you want. The players can evade magic surges to some extent, but see mishaps during their adventures.

To answer questions: If the 5% is rolled, then roll again. Was meant to be a daily resource.

Yeah. That is probably simpler, and does enough for the setting. I did want to essentially have it so it depicted essentially why magic isn't being used to solve the problems without getting in the way of actual gameplay.