PDA

View Full Version : Ridiculous (Not necessarily useful) uses of Permanency

Warchon
2018-05-10, 06:37 PM
My party has an upcoming boss battle and we are currently missing several key resources. As a result, we all suspect a good chance of some of us not surviving and are beginning to look at new character ideas.

I hit on the idea of readying a character who has some active spell (or spells!) on them that is made Permanent.

Although we're all roughly level 4, I think the DM will be OK with this as long as the character history fluff is sensible and, of course, I'm not trying to actually get the POWER of a 5th level spell.

I'm looking for ideas for spells that might contribute to an interesting or hilarious character concept, without actually providing a significant overt advantage. So no Divine Power or Fly. Even a permanent Bless is probably not a great idea.

Note of course that this is a low level character and will not be capable of CASTING Permanency at creation, if ever.

If you've got some silly combination of spells from multiple classes that causes something insane to happen but you'd never actually get them cast at the same time, this is a good time to share it. (Because the xp costs associated with the spell don't matter, and it's fun to explain how a commoner got roped into settling a bet between two convokers, a blighter, and a dying ur-priest. Or whatever.)

Buffs with drawbacks, inappropriate targetting, or just effects that are so situational that there is no realistic benefit to having them "always on."

Most likely I'd use the resulting arcane mess as the justification for why my character started down whatever class path he or she winds up on.

unseenmage
2018-05-10, 08:02 PM
Are you looking for RAW legal Permanency targets or does any appropriately goofy spell fit the bill?

Warchon
2018-05-10, 08:17 PM
Are you looking for RAW legal Permanency targets or does any appropriately goofy spell fit the bill?

I've got a fairly permissive DM. If it's not shenanigans he's likely to allow sensible exceptions.

MaxiDuRaritry
2018-05-10, 08:35 PM
Permanencied least wish prestidigitation to constantly turn your hair different colors.

Permanencied ghost sound that actually sounds like what kids think ghosts sound like. "WoooOOOooo..."

Permanencied silent image to make your eyes sparkle, a la Dumbasadoor.

Permanencied locate city detect magic bomb.

Permanencied invisibility. On all the clothes you try to wear.

Permanencied mount. Now you have a pet horse.

Permanencied summon monster I for a fiendish monkey that has decided that it wants to be your familiar when you finally give in to your destiny of becoming a wizard. Probably not gonna happen, what with your 6 Int and all...

Permanencied alter self into a gray elf, when you used to be a forest elf.

Permanencied Energy Admixture'd (Negative Energy) thunderhead. Good thing you took Tomb-Tainted Soul. Now you heal 1 hp every round. Of course, you also lose 1 hp every round, so...

And no, I don't care if that last one technically won't work because you can't do that with Energy Admixture.

Warchon
2018-05-10, 08:50 PM
And no, I don't care if that last one technically won't work because you can't do that with Energy Admixture.

That's the spirit! Fun trumps RAW for this. :3

Goaty14
2018-05-10, 10:16 PM
Technically that means that if you drink a potion of energy resistance (electricity), you gain lesser vigor for the duration.

MaxiDuRaritry
2018-05-10, 10:28 PM
Calm emotions. Very Zen.

Charm person on yourself, with yourself as the caster. Low self-esteem is a thing of the past.

Deathwatch, the evilest, most vile triage there ever was.

Devil's tail. "I'm not actually a fiend, but I play one on TV the stage."

Expeditious retreat combined with ghost sound:
"Brave Sir Robin ran away.
Bravely ran away away.
When danger reared its ugly head,
He bravely turned his tail and fled.
Yes, brave Sir Robin turned about,
And gallantly he chickened out.
Swiftly taking to his feet,
He beat a very brave retreat.
Bravest of the brave, Sir Robin!"

Warchon
2018-05-10, 10:54 PM
Calm emotions. Very Zen.

Charm person on yourself, with yourself as the caster. Low self-esteem is a thing of the past.

Deathwatch, the evilest, most vile triage there ever was.

Devil's tail. "I'm not actually a fiend, but I play one on TV the stage."

Bravely ran away away.

..well, I did ask for buffs with drawbacks. Being eaten by my party certainly qualifies.

MaxiDuRaritry
2018-05-10, 11:07 PM
..well, I did ask for buffs with drawbacks. Being eaten by my party certainly qualifies....Tastes like chicken?

Acanous
2018-05-10, 11:27 PM
Veil of an invisible stalker, because the wizard wanted to know what one actually looks like

tterreb
2018-05-15, 05:20 AM
Air breathing is a nice, especially on creatures that breathe air naturally.
Amplify is good for stealthy characters. Basically a -20 to move silently. Helpful if you're hard of hearing. Though you probably would be soon...
Buzzing bee on top of that... I wonder if that would be subject to amplify...
Disquietude would be interesting. Could make for a nice paranoid character.

MaxiDuRaritry
2018-05-15, 07:06 AM
Technically that means that if you drink a potion of energy resistance (electricity), you gain lesser vigor for the duration.It would also auto-stabilize you if you're knocked out cold and dying, but at the risk of maybe killing you if you hit -9 hp.

Jack_Simth
2018-05-16, 08:55 PM
Attract Fine Vermin (http://www.seankreynolds.com/rpgfiles/spells/attractfinevermin.html). They just won't stay away!
Know Direction. Replaces the automatic north from 5 ranks in Survival.
Shadowplay (Dragon Magazine #326 on page 74). Your shadow is of the same race, but opposite gender.
Vengeful Mount (Dragon Magazine #326 on page 74): You take penalties on Ride checks.

Warchon
2018-05-17, 06:46 PM
I love that this is still going

Geddy2112
2018-05-18, 09:14 AM
Bravely ran away away.

You need ventroloquism to make formal speech, but I absolutely love this idea and I am going to use it. The ghost sound is still useful since you need coconuts.

Andor13
2018-05-18, 08:46 PM
Permanent Illusory Clothing of some sort leftover from a party/stage role/prank from your youth. Of course if your actual outfit is bigger you get clipping issues.