PDA

View Full Version : Optimization always favoring certain gear?

skunk3
2018-05-11, 02:01 AM
Since I started playing D&D again and scouring every book for weapon/shield/armor enhancements, weapons, armors, wondrous items, et al, I have noticed something. It seems to me that I have definitely adopted favorite bits of gear almost regardless of what class I am playing. Sure, different classes will have some 'must-have' items sometimes that I either want on their own or made into some custom item with other properties added to it, but generally speaking certain things I find myself gravitating towards a LOT. Surely I am not the only one, right?

For example:

Mithral light buckler. You don't need to be proficient with it, it weighs almost nothing, and it opens the door for some nice enhancements that you otherwise might not have access to.

Other examples: Belt of Battle (I want one of these for every character), Boots of Sidestepping, Gloves of the Master Strategist, Vambraces of Warding, etc.

Armor / shield enhancements that I almost always go for:

medium fortification (+3)
ghost ward - Enhancement bonus counts towards touch AC? Yes, please. (+1)
empyreal (+2)
durable (+500 gp)
called (+2,000 gp)
mirror image (+20,000 gp)
soulfire - for certain campaigns. It is pricey, but man is it sweet. (+4)
(greater) Healing (+32,000 gp)
speed (+6,000 gp)

weapon enhancements:

defending (+1)
magebane (+1)
wounding (+2)
spellblade (+6,000 gp)
slow burst (+5,000 gp)
enervating (+2)
sudden stunning (+2,000 gp)
lifedrinker (+38,000 gp)
bane (+1)
enfeebling (+1)
holy / unholy (+2)
nervewrack (+1)
dispelling (+6,000 gp)

Obviously I don't use all of these all of the time, but I find myself selecting these quite frequently.

Vizzerdrix
2018-05-11, 02:09 AM
Folding boat, and shapesand. I can always, always find a use for these. Of course that means I cant use wis as a dump stat most of the time.

skunk3
2018-05-11, 02:11 AM
Folding boat, and shapesand. I can always, always find a use for these. Of course that means I cant use wis as a dump stat most of the time.

Yeah, and feather token: tree lol.

Vizzerdrix
2018-05-11, 02:25 AM
Yeah, and feather token: tree lol.

I never bother with that one. Any feather token to be honest.

Fouredged Sword
2018-05-11, 06:57 AM
I almost always have a shax sack. So many damn useful things on that list.

lylsyly
2018-05-11, 07:14 AM
You mean just like most players tend to gravitate towards the same classes mostly? Or Dms to to run the same type of campaign?

Telonius
2018-05-11, 08:21 AM
For me, it's a Hat of Disguise. Never leave home without it.

heavyfuel
2018-05-11, 09:46 AM
It's been a long time since I last saw a PC between levels 5 and 15 that didn't have Anklets of Translocation (plus an extra pair or three in their bag)

ZamielVanWeber
2018-05-11, 09:57 AM
Shadow Cloak and Ring of Anticipation are the biggies for me. Immediate Action teleport + not fudging up my initiative are nice.

BloodSnake'sCha
2018-05-11, 12:51 PM
necklace of adaption and the belt that give +X to all the abilities.

I forgot portable hole.

ExLibrisMortis
2018-05-11, 01:08 PM
Travelling cloak is good for anyone (who isn't undead). Heward's handy haversack, of course.

Some stories feature a tradition of adventuring parties; I imagine they're all a bit like the A-Team in mithral breastplates, travelling cloaks, and handy haversacks.

Goaty14
2018-05-11, 06:19 PM
I always pick up an Immovable Rod and Decanter of Endless Water, just for the lols.

Wrathful Healing seems good, if not broken.

Acanous
2018-05-11, 07:36 PM
The humble caltrop always finds a space in my backpack. Oil is good too.

Falontani
2018-05-11, 07:42 PM
Black Onyx always appears in my backpack

And my friend always carries a pair of Masterwork Manacles, and Heartfire cubes.

People joke that I always have soap no matter what kind of character I play, along with a barrel of torches. (I join a seafaring campaign ONCE and put a barrel full of torches on deck...)

SirNibbles
2018-05-12, 08:11 AM
Steadfast Boots
Everlasting Rations

Malimar
2018-05-12, 10:43 AM
When money allows, I tend to start with a Ring of Sustenance and either Boots of Striding and Springing or Boots of Skating.

And Feather Token: Tree, because those are supposedly super-useful in all sorts of strange situations, but I've never actually used one.

flappeercraft
2018-05-12, 10:55 AM
The Warning weapon enhancement from MIC is one of my favorites. Who can say no to +5 initiative?

Vizzerdrix
2018-05-12, 11:02 AM
The Warning weapon enhancement from MIC is one of my favorites. Who can say no to +5 initiative?

Long time ago, I played in a group that laughed when I put that on a gauntlet. Said anything that didn't boost damage was a waste of party gold. Gods I hated that group.

Anyways, I like stacking that with eager.

Zaq
2018-05-12, 11:45 AM
No mention of the Healing Belt yet? That's an assumed gimme for any character who doesn't need their waist slot for something specific, as far as I'm concerned.

I've only ever actually ended up with one on a limited number of characters, but I always find myself coveting a Rod of Ropes. I mean, it's a bloody Hookshot. Who doesn't want a Hookshot?

There's a long-standing joke in my group that everyone who even thinks about adventuring carries a bandolier of nonmagical daggers as a last-ditch sort of thing. Run into a rust monster? Use the daggers as fodder. Can't reach the flying thing and have absolutely nothing better to do with your turn? Pull out a dagger and chuck it, hoping for a crit. Need to suddenly cut a rope or a web or something? Yeah. Doesn't matter if you're not a weapon-user (or a dagger-user); you don't need the bandolier of daggers when things are going the way you expect them to go, after all.

ZamielVanWeber
2018-05-12, 12:14 PM
Warning-eager fumiki Bari is a popular weapon in high OP game in my area.

Andry
2018-05-13, 06:46 AM
As soon as I can afford it a ring of blinking. By the time my character can scrounge the money up for it AC is meaningless. So the miss chance from blinking is a life saver.

Akto
2018-05-13, 07:34 AM
A colapsible pole, 50 FT. Rope silk and a grasping Hook. Never leave home without Them!
Oh... And a Rubber Ball, No real idea to it, just find it a funny item. :P