PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Need advise on spells selection for Sorcerer

BladedWizard
2018-05-11, 07:20 AM
Hi,

I play a Protector Aasimar Divine Sorcerer. And my DM let me play with the spell point variant. And we play CoS.

We just hit level 7 yesterday and now I can cast level 4 spells. May I please get your feedback on is which 4th level spell I should take and if I should change one of those I currently have... which are:

Lvl 1: Shield, Guiding Bolt, Healing Word
Lvl 2: Spiritual Weapon, Misty Step
Lvl 3: Fireball, Haste, Hypnotic Pattern

Here's the spell I think would be of great value for level 4 spells.

Greater Invisibility, Wall of Fire, Polymorph, Sickening Radiance and Guardian of Faith

I thought about Counterspell as well but now so sure if it would be useful for CoS.

My only concern with the first 4 spells I mentioned above are that they all use concentration. I already have Haste and Hypnotic Pattern that requires concentration.

What do you think?

Thank you,
BW

intregus
2018-05-11, 07:42 AM
How often are you casting haste and polymorp? How often are you in close quarters/melee range?

Have you looked at guardian of faith from the cleric spell list?

Catullus64
2018-05-11, 08:41 AM
If Concentration is your worry, I'd put in a hearty recommendation in for Death Ward. 8 hour duration means you can pop it off at the start of the adventuring day without worry. The potential shenanigans you can pull when you have guaranteed survival from any single damage source are something to be marveled at.

Also, consider Spirit Guardians, Concentration spell though it may be, since it is Just That GoodTM

Haydensan
2018-05-11, 08:46 AM
To really make sure we can advise the best we can we'll need to know your meta magic choices. Most of the time Sorcs should be picking spells with their metamagics in mind

SirGraystone
2018-05-11, 08:49 AM
If noone else in the group have it, I would take counterspell, and maybe trade misty step for dimension door.

BladedWizard
2018-05-11, 10:08 AM
To clarify some of the questions...

I have the following metamagics: Subtle Spell, Twinned Spell and Empowered (I play another take on the sorcerer which the DM approved and they get a bit more MM than the PHB one).

My group is composed of:
- Bear Barbarian (melee)
- Four Element Monk (melee)
- Old One Tome Lock (range)
- Gloom Stalker Ranger (range)
- War Cleric (melee)

I will look again at Death Ward and Guardian of Faith. But since we have a cleric he would probably be the one to cast Death Ward since he likes to be support.

Thanks for all the feedback.

Ninja_Prawn
2018-05-11, 10:34 AM
Can't go wrong with greater invisibility... though it'd be better if you had a rogue in the party. I don't know CoS, but doesn't that involve planar travel? Would banishment be on the table?

Otherwise, yeah dimension door is pretty good. I wouldn't pick it over misty step though, if you've only got room for one.

Given that you've got Twinned Spell, I'd consider picking more spells that can be twinned. Suggestion, blight, even dominate beast could augment your current capabilities.

ImproperJustice
2018-05-11, 10:43 AM
A lot of the good 4th level spells require concentration.

Dimension Door is a good pick to counteract that, or grab a good 4th level Concentration pick and swap put one of your lower level picks that require it for some more direct effects.

Death Ward and Spiritual Weapon are solid.

Mass Healing Word, Revivify, Thunderstep, Counterspell, and Dispel Magic are all great “fire and forget” options.

I have a blaster Sorc, and I would say you sometimes get more out of spamming Twin offensive cantrips at higher levels from a pure efficiency standpoint, and then Empowering your big guns for groups.