PDA

View Full Version : Astral Constructs, Psicrystals, or both? (Pathfinder)

Miko_Kira
2018-05-11, 09:31 AM
I'm making a Vitalist with the Life Leech and Sadist archetypes. And I have a few questions about the use and functionality of Astral Construct and Psicrystals, when it comes to keeping my party alive.

1- Are astrals more useful than Psicrystals, as health pools?
2- Should I just utilize both?
3- Would it count as a death if an Astral Construct expires from damage taken?

SaintNick
2018-05-12, 09:33 AM
1- Are astrals more useful than Psicrystals, as health pools?

Neither will work with the Drain Health ability, but an Astral Construct would be a good target for Transfer Attack. A psicrystal is better utilized with Share Pain since its hardness can be taken advantage of unlike Transfer Attack.

2- Should I just utilize both?

Yes

3- Would it count as a death if an Astral Construct expires from damage taken?

Assuming an Astral Construct follows the same rules as a Summoned Monster, then no. It's specifically stated (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/#TOC-Conjuration-Summoning) that summons are not classified as "dead" when they reach 0 hit points.

Miko_Kira
2018-05-12, 04:36 PM
Astral Constructs (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/psionic-powers/a/astral-construct/) "Astral construct are not summoned; they are created on the plane you inhabit (using ectoplasm drawn from the Astral Plane). Thus, they are not subject to effects that hedge out or otherwise affect outsiders; they are constructs, not outsiders." That's a quote from the power itself. I'm glad I'm learning this. Gotta finish my Vitalist.

I'm starting it simple right now. My current campaign won't carry my NE Vitalist idea very well, so I'm going with a vanilla and I'm picking the Soul Thief Method, because it's actually quite a handy ass-saving/ass-handing method. I'm going to be lvl 8, so I want to focus on my Psicrystal first, then my constructs.

So Psicrystal Affinity, Psionic Meditation, and Psicrystal Containment, followed by Advanced Construct and Boost Construct. Astral Constructs being my shield against bullies.

SaintNick
2018-05-12, 06:09 PM
Do you have a planned outlet for your Psionic Focus? I did a quick look over the Vitalist and nothing was really jumping out to me that would require its extensive use.

You will also need to make room for the feat Expanded Knowledge: Astral Construct as I don't believe it's on the Vitalist Power List.

Miko_Kira
2018-05-12, 07:36 PM
Well, I guess you're right on the psionic focus issue. Only the Swift Aid, Steal Life, and Master abilities require the expenditure of focus, but there are powers that require it for a boost to effect. If I'm doing my job I won't rightly need it though...

So the feats would be Psicrystal affinity, Expanded Knowledge (Astral Construct), Boost Construct, Expanded Knowledge (Expansion), Advanced Construct (maybe)... It'll vary as I go, though I'd prefer priority of Advanced Construct over Boost Construct, though having more special options to my construct would be helpful.

SaintNick
2018-05-12, 11:02 PM
Well, I guess you're right on the psionic focus issue. Only the Swift Aid, Steal Life, and Master abilities require the expenditure of focus, but there are powers that require it for a boost to effect. If I'm doing my job I won't rightly need it though...

So the feats would be Psicrystal affinity, Expanded Knowledge (Astral Construct), Boost Construct, Expanded Knowledge (Expansion), Advanced Construct (maybe)... It'll vary as I go, though I'd prefer priority of Advanced Construct over Boost Construct, though having more special options to my construct would be helpful.

I like the Advanced Construct feat for the Utility option as it's rather useful out of combat, but there might be better options for a Vitalist.

For future reference, I recommend using the free Expanded Knowledge feat you gain at level 9 to pick up Psychic Reformation. That way you can adjust your build once you've had some time playing the character.

Miko_Kira
2018-05-13, 08:57 PM
That sounds reasonable. And Psychic Reformation is really broken when used properly. So I'll go with Advanced Construct first, and follow up with Boost whenever applicable. Any other powers I should invest Expanded Knowledge feats on?

SaintNick
2018-05-15, 07:30 AM
That sounds reasonable. And Psychic Reformation is really broken when used properly. So I'll go with Advanced Construct first, and follow up with Boost whenever applicable. Any other powers I should invest Expanded Knowledge feats on?

If you have access to it, Euterpe’s Prophetic Song is one of the best team buffs in the game. Ectoplasmic Cocoon is also a very good crowd control power since it targets Reflex and bypasses Power Resistance so it's effective against everything in the game. My Shaper uses it (the Mass version specifically) with the feat Endowed Mind to great effect.

Miko_Kira
2018-05-16, 02:12 AM
So then I'll look at it like this;

Elan Vitalist (Soulthief) 8
Str 8 Int 12
Dex 14 Wis 22
Con 16 Cha 10

Feats;
1- Psicrystal Affinity, Psionic Talent (r)
3- Expanded Knowledge (Astral Construct)
5- Advanced Constructs
7- Expanded knowledge (Ectoplasmic Cocoon, or Expansion)
9- Expanded knowledge (c)(Psychic Reformation), Endowed Mind
11- Improved Psicrystal

etc... I'm lookin' to have fun with this character. I'd love for her to get to Karzoug, or Tar-Baphon's level eventually. Just imagine an Aberrant Azlanti that was raised in Cheliax.

Edit; I just remembered where my Psionic Focus would be going. Network Power (Metapsionic).