View Full Version : DM Help Villain help

HalezYeah
2018-05-11, 10:50 AM
My Daughter and her boyfriend have asked me to DM for them. I am using a story line I came up with a long time ago (haven't played D&D for many years). I need to know if there are any online tools for creating villains online? I have the ideas for them but need to create them and it would be easier if I had a tool rather then fleshing them out via paper.

Quoxis
2018-05-11, 10:58 AM
Is it about statting them out or more of a general „how to characterize a good villain“ question?

HalezYeah
2018-05-11, 11:09 AM
Is it about statting them out or more of a general „how to characterize a good villain“ question?

more of statting them out. One would be a Rakshasa sorcerer.

damascoplay
2018-05-11, 09:10 PM
>Pick a creature from the monster manual.

>Now think of a motivation for it to become a villain in order to achieve what it wants.

Looking for inspirational in movies and books, even in video games is generally the best thing to do. Other than that, I really don't have any more ideas.

A Fat Dragon
2018-05-11, 09:19 PM
If it’s a Rakshasa Sorceree, then make it a Sorcerer that’s two levels higher then them, with high Charisma and proficiency in three saving throws instead of two (Generally pick Dex or Wis. if you want the fight to be harder, pick both. I’d say give them 18 Charisma (Or 20, If you want it to be harder), 18 Dexterity, 16 Constitution, 14 Wisdom, 14 Intelligence, and 8 Strength. Give them +3 Extra HP per level, and that should be a pretty solid boss battle. You might want to raise or lower some of these depending on stuff like difficulty, but, it should work out pretty well. You might want to give them more HP, as generally boss battles consists of hard-to-kill monsters with huge Nova moments, and then more weakened “downtime” periods.

Asmotherion
2018-05-12, 02:17 AM
My Daughter and her boyfriend have asked me to DM for them. I am using a story line I came up with a long time ago (haven't played D&D for many years). I need to know if there are any online tools for creating villains online? I have the ideas for them but need to create them and it would be easier if I had a tool rather then fleshing them out via paper.

>A D&D game full of oportunities to make mistakes, like "take a second Drink", or "leaveing my daughter behind is the only way to save your life". In case he fails, tell him "is that what you'd really do, chump? you dissapoin me."

>A Rescue mission out of the 9 Hells, except, instead of Asmodeus, there is You. After the game, crack jokes, and tell them "now, I'm not really the king of hell. Unless someone hurts my Daughter, then I might be.

>Include a lot of items that represent desires in your story, observe his facial expresions; see what makes him twich, what are his limits; This guy is going to protect your daughter after all, so you need to know what he's made off. Or I might just be an overprotective dad after all and overthinking this XD I dread the day my daughter will actually bring a boy home.

gloryblaze
2018-05-12, 04:29 AM
It's pretty easy to slap some sorcerer casting and a pinch of metamagic on a rakshasa (http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/HJQjOmN40M) and call it a day, if that's what you're looking for.

Unoriginal
2018-05-12, 05:04 AM
If it’s a Rakshasa Sorceree, then make it a Sorcerer that’s two levels higher then them, with high Charisma and proficiency in three saving throws instead of two (Generally pick Dex or Wis. if you want the fight to be harder, pick both. I’d say give them 18 Charisma (Or 20, If you want it to be harder), 18 Dexterity, 16 Constitution, 14 Wisdom, 14 Intelligence, and 8 Strength. Give them +3 Extra HP per level, and that should be a pretty solid boss battle. You might want to raise or lower some of these depending on stuff like difficulty, but, it should work out pretty well.

Sorry, but this is a very impractical and inefficient way of doing it.

There are rules on the DMG on how to give PC classes to monsters:

MONSTERS WITH CLASSES
You can use the rules in chapter 3 of the Player's Handbook to give class levels to a monster. For example, you can turn an ordinary werewolf into a werewolf with four levels of the barbarian class (such a monster would be expressed as "Werewolf, 4th-level barbarian"). Start with the monster's stat block. The monster gains all the class features for every class level you add, with the following exceptions:

-The monster doesn't gain the starting equipment of the added class.

-For each class level you add, the monster gains one Hit Die of its normal type (based on its size), ignoring the class's Hit Die progression.

-The monster's proficiency bonus is based on its challenge rating, not its class levels.

Once you finish adding class levels to a monster, feel free to tweak its ability scores as you see fit (for example, raising the monster's Intelligence score so that the monster is a more effective wizard), and make whatever other adjustments are needed. You'll need to recalculate its challenge rating as though you had designed the monster from scratch.

You might want to give them more HP, as generally boss battles consists of hard-to-kill monsters with huge Nova moments, and then more weakened “downtime” periods.

HPs are good for a boss, but mostly you need to give solo enemies Legendary Actions and possibly Lair Actions. It's fine for a boss to not have tons of HPs, but if you're solo vs several adventurers, their number of actions will allow them to swarm you.

It's pretty easy to slap some sorcerer casting and a pinch of metamagic on a rakshasa (http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/HJQjOmN40M) and call it a day, if that's what you're looking for.

This one should work well, too.

Asmotherion
2018-05-12, 05:42 AM

Or a Rakshasa Sorlock. This thing can be deadly.

Yeah, I'm doing it again :P

Unoriginal
2018-05-12, 05:51 AM
A NPC with Sorcerer/Warlock multiclass would not be particularly deadly. Not more than pure Warlock or pure Sorcerer, in any case.

Not having access to spells as high level as they could is a pretty big disadvantage.

HalezYeah
2018-05-12, 08:07 AM
>A D&D game full of oportunities to make mistakes, like "take a second Drink", or "leaveing my daughter behind is the only way to save your life". In case he fails, tell him "is that what you'd really do, chump? you dissapoin me."

>A Rescue mission out of the 9 Hells, except, instead of Asmodeus, there is You. After the game, crack jokes, and tell them "now, I'm not really the king of hell. Unless someone hurts my Daughter, then I might be.

>Include a lot of items that represent desires in your story, observe his facial expresions; see what makes him twich, what are his limits; This guy is going to protect your daughter after all, so you need to know what he's made off. Or I might just be an overprotective dad after all and overthinking this XD I dread the day my daughter will actually bring a boy home.

If it’s a Rakshasa Sorceree, then make it a Sorcerer that’s two levels higher then them, with high Charisma and proficiency in three saving throws instead of two (Generally pick Dex or Wis. if you want the fight to be harder, pick both. I’d say give them 18 Charisma (Or 20, If you want it to be harder), 18 Dexterity, 16 Constitution, 14 Wisdom, 14 Intelligence, and 8 Strength. Give them +3 Extra HP per level, and that should be a pretty solid boss battle. You might want to raise or lower some of these depending on stuff like difficulty, but, it should work out pretty well. You might want to give them more HP, as generally boss battles consists of hard-to-kill monsters with huge Nova moments, and then more weakened “downtime” periods.

>Pick a creature from the monster manual.

>Now think of a motivation for it to become a villain in order to achieve what it wants.

Looking for inspirational in movies and books, even in video games is generally the best thing to do. Other than that, I really don't have any more ideas.

Sorry, but this is a very impractical and inefficient way of doing it.

There are rules on the DMG on how to give PC classes to monsters:

HPs are good for a boss, but mostly you need to give solo enemies Legendary Actions and possibly Lair Actions. It's fine for a boss to not have tons of HPs, but if you're solo vs several adventurers, their number of actions will allow them to swarm you.

This one should work well, too.

Or a Rakshasa Sorlock. This thing can be deadly.

Yeah, I'm doing it again :P

A NPC with Sorcerer/Warlock multiclass would not be particularly deadly. Not more than pure Warlock or pure Sorcerer, in any case.

Not having access to spells as high level as they could is a pretty big disadvantage.

Thanks to all a lot of good ideas and points in the right direction. I greatly appreciate it.

Asmotherion
2018-05-12, 08:17 AM

Not as much as you seem to think. Especially if the NPC in question is imune to all spells and spell effects up to level 6, resistant and imune to a lot of damage types, can quicken a couple eldritch blasts, and have other amazing spells. Loosing a spell level is not really going to affect the effectiveness or deadliness of a Rakshasa that much IMO.