PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next The Buster blade (home brew weappon)

Grimn
2018-05-11, 12:37 PM
Requires 19 strength to use without disadvantage without having disadvantage small creatures unable to wield medium creatures without at least a 19 strength have disadvantage

Medium creature Damage dice 2d8 or
Large creature damage dice 4d8

Because of its weight, it is unwieldy When roll less than 8 on a d20 roll 1 d6 and take that much damage (when you roll the d20 you add your proficiency bonus to the roll or your strength bonus or both at your dms discretion

Crit rate 19 20 x2

Because of its immense weight cannot take the dash action and when in use take a disadvantage to opportunity attacks

Magic properties if available (if available means if your dm will allow the enchantment to be used) once attune treat as a +2 weapon if you take the attack action you may take another attack with the second attack having disadvantage (does not apply to other attacks made from great weapon master or extra attack etc ) the attack is propelled from the first attack but because the sword drags the player has less of a chance to hit

Weight 42 pounds length is 5 foot 7 inches long

Two-Handed martial

Lalliman
2018-05-12, 02:27 AM
Welcome to the forum! I reckon you're still new to 5e, so I'll point out a few inconsistencies.

Medium creature Damage dice 2d8 or Large creature damage dice 2d10
Large creature damage dice don't work that way in 5e. Instead Large creatures have the damage die of whatever weapon they use doubled (4d8 in this case).

Because of its weight, it is unwieldy When roll less than 8 on a d20 roll 1 d6 and take that much damage
Not only will this happen shockingly often (35% of the time), but it's entirely possible to hit your target and also injure yourself. That's a bit odd.

Crit rate 19 20 x2
Crit ranges on weapons don't exist in 5e. You could introduce them, but as is you're giving an expanded crit range to the one weapon that least deserves it.

Magic properties if available once attune treat as a +2 weapon and take two attacks with it the second attack having disadvantage (does not apply to other attacks made from great weapon master or extra attack etc ) the attack is propelled from the first attack but because the sword drags the player has less of a chance to hit
I can't tell if this is supposed to be a standard part of it or an optional enchantment. (You do say "if available", so I guess it's the second?) You should definitely rephrase the extra attack more clearly. I guess you meant: When you take the Attack action, you can make one additional attack at disadvantage.

Overall review: The nonmagical version deals 2 more damage per attack than a greatsword, in return for dealing an average of 1.2 damage to yourself with every attack, being unable to dash, and taking disadvantage on opportunity attacks. Not very worthwhile if you ask me. The magical version is of course very powerful, I'd put it in the very rare category.

Grimn
2018-05-14, 10:38 AM
thanks ive tweaked the weapon a bit to clarify the points you made with the 19-20 crit range that is a homebrew rule my dfm has made is hould have clarified that

Crim the Cold
2018-05-14, 12:41 PM
If I were to tweak it I would remove the expanded critical range and add an optional shove during the attack effect.

On a successful hit the user of this weapon may shove his opponent per normal combat rules with these exceptions; the shoved enemy can be knocked back up to 15 feet and if the shoved enemy can't be shoved back due to an obstruction then they instead collide with the obstruction taking 1d6 damage from the collision.

This makes sense to me because a large weapon like that with the added mass is gonna hit like a freight train. I have always equated criticals with precision and a big weapon like this doesn't seem very precise.