PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Apocalypse happens midgame, and co-GMing

Protato
2018-05-11, 01:22 PM
I'm going to co-GM with a player of mine in a session I was running that had a massive change last session. Basically, the apocalypse happened. We were supposed to use a malfunctioning Wand of Polymorph to transform a sheep into a person. He instead became a Gibbering Mouther and the party decided to use the wand on him again, turning him into a stories-tall abomination capable of destroying the world. One of my players, who was a devotee of Tharizdun, used the Wand to become Tharizdun. The two gods have been warring for a decade now, destroying the land everywhere they go. This was originally supposed to be a Tales of the Yawning Portal game along with a few oneshots for variety, by the way.

The original plan for the game actually came from the player I'm co-GMing with. They had run a weird half Elemental Evil, half homebrew game for some time but it fell through, and they came up with a setting where Tharizdun was summoned and people had been struggling to cope for ten years before the party appears. My Tales from the Yawning Portal game and theirs got combined, basically, when these gods were summoned to war with each other.

This is admittedly very complex, and I'm still cutting out many details. However, I think this is enough to go on. Is there any advice anyone has for running in this sort of setting, and more importantly, for co-GMing? We've got a bit of experience under our belts althought neither of us are terribly good in all honesty, but neither of us have co-GM'd a game. Is there anything different about co-GMing versus having only one that we should keep in mind? The party is level 5, but will likely go into epic levels (homebrewed probably), be able to class into multiple classes, or be able to have epic boons, one the party is strong enough.

Laserlight
2018-05-11, 07:53 PM
Don't switch every week, probably more like every 4-8 weeks.

Coordinate on the power and quantity of any persistent magic items you hand out. You don't need to say "This next dungeon, I'm going to put a +1 scimitar of dual wielding for Thomas and a Lightning Rapier for Heather", I'm thinking more along the lines of something like "by the end of L10, all the martials should have a magic weapon and most people should have another magic item, but it should be Uncommon or below--nobody gets a +3 Dagger of Demon Destruction".