PDA

View Full Version : Homebrew cantrips

Dontki
2018-05-11, 04:37 PM
I’ve always been interested in what you guys and gals could come up with because lots of great ideas come up here and was wondering what we’re some cantrips you people could come up with.

DarkKnightJin
2018-05-11, 05:57 PM
Over on the Homebrew forum, I have a thread with some weapons from Monster Hunter (World), a homebrew beast race, and some homebrew cantrips. 2 of the 3 are my own creation, with the first one being a copy from one the guys at MFoV did.

Speaking of MFoV: check out their Warmage homebrew class. It's got a ton of homebrew cantrips and augments.

JoeJ
2018-05-11, 06:55 PM
The game already has Prestidigitation, Minor Illusion, and Mending. What other cantrips could possibly be needed?

DracoKnight
2018-05-11, 10:15 PM
The game already has Prestidigitation, Minor Illusion, and Mending. What other cantrips could possibly be needed?

There's not nearly enough eldritch blast on your list xD

Sicarius Victis
2018-05-11, 10:45 PM
There's not nearly enough eldritch blast on your list xD

And since there's no official conversions of the 3.5 Warlock's Hellfire Blast or blast type invocations, there can never be enough eldritch blast.

Edit: I mean, even with all that there's no such thing as "enough" eldritch blast, but still!

Asmotherion
2018-05-12, 01:06 AM
And since there's no official conversions of the 3.5 Warlock's Hellfire Blast or blast type invocations, there can never be enough eldritch blast.

Edit: I mean, even with all that there's no such thing as "enough" eldritch blast, but still!
Refluffing the visual aspects of Eldritch Blast is easy. And the Agonising Sorlock is definitelly the new Hellfire Blastlock XD Make him a Hexblade, and you have yourself a "Glavelock".

I've come to terms with this kind of refluffings. They are not complete, sure, but who cares. I love my new and improved EB :3

On topic: Overlall, I find it rare that an effect I want to produce cannot be replicated with refluffing an existing cantrip (partially or entirelly). If so, I either build around an existing cantrip and change some aspects of it (reskinning), or make something new entirelly, but with so limited that it will probably end up on the "weak side", just to make sure it's balanced. That's the "safest" way to homebrew stuff. Otherwise, you may make something that seems balanced, but really isn't because you neglected a small detail, and it's going to affect your whole game.

Kane0
2018-05-12, 01:34 AM
I got a couple in my sig

I’ve been tossing up a force dart cantrip, but havent committed to the autohit force damage yet.

Asmotherion
2018-05-12, 03:20 AM
I got a couple in my sig

I’ve been tossing up a force dart cantrip, but havent committed to the autohit force damage yet.

Suggests something is in your sig. Points to empty sig.
Are you perhaps an illusionist or an enchanter messing with our minds man? :P

Kane0
2018-05-12, 05:44 AM
Hmm, that's weird. Sometimes my sig disappears from my posts.

Anyway, it's here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=22979646&postcount=4)

Ninja_Prawn
2018-05-12, 08:29 AM
Most of my homebrewed cantrips are on the blog. You can find six of them here (http://mfov.magehandpress.com/2017/07/new-cantrips.html), two in here (http://mfov.magehandpress.com/2016/01/chronomancy-spells.html) and one more in each of these (http://mfov.magehandpress.com/2017/02/necromancy-spells.html) posts (http://mfov.magehandpress.com/2017/06/blast-from-past-spells.html).

Asmotherion
2018-05-12, 11:57 AM
Hmm, that's weird. Sometimes my sig disappears from my posts.

Anyway, it's here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=22979646&postcount=4)

Love your revised cantrips actually. Not sure if I'd go for a die increase instead of a die size increase*, but still, you manage to make some useless cantrips a lot more relevant (true stike) and that is a job well done.

*on second thought, it might mess with bounded accuracy a bit too much if you ended up rolling 4d4 extra on the attack roll I guess.

Lord8Ball
2018-05-18, 10:58 AM
Force Pulse
School: Evocation
Cast speed: 1 action
Component: V,S
Range: 5ft
Duration: instantaneous
Description:
As a part of the action used to cast the spell, you must make a touch attack using your spellcasting modifier against one creature within the spell's range. On a hit, the target takes 1d8 force damage must make a strength saving throw or take be pushed back 10 ft. If the target of the spell gets knocked into an object of appropriate size ex(walls, fountain, boxes etc.) then it will take an extra 1d6 bludgeoning damage.
Higher levels:
The spell's damage increases at higher levels. At fifth level, the damage increases to 2d8. At eleventh the damage increases to 3d8. At seventeenth the damage increases to 4d8.

Locate spare wealth
School: Divination
Cast speed:1 full round (concentration)
Range: self(60ft)
Duration: 1 minute
Component: semi-precious stone ring and a copper coin consumed on cast
Description:
Upon casting small mote of light floats up from the ring and guides you to the nearest hidden/forgotten coinage or treasure: as a result, you gain advantage on investigation checks to discover items of value. The mote of light moves at a rate of 30ft per round independently and shines a dim light up to 10 ft.

Minor transmutation
School: Transmutation
Cast speed:1 full round
Range: 30ft
Duration: Special
Description:

Turn water to wine
condense sediment into sedimentary or sedimentary into metamorphic and metamorphic into igneous
breaks down small objects into sediments
Magnetize an object(1 minute)
Convert sand to glass
Shape clay, glass, wood, rock

Nephtys Hephet
School: Conjuration
Range: self(10ft)
Component: S
Description:
Upon casting this spell light within 10 ft off the caster lowers one level. For instance, in broad daylight, the affected area counts as dim light. Areas that are already in dim light are rendered as dark as night; however, creatures with darkvision are able to see through the darkness.

Arctic cloud
Range: 120ft
Duration: 1 hour
Component: V,S
Description:
You create a 20-foot-radius sphere of fog centered on a point within range. The sphere spreads around corners, and its area is heavily obscured. It lasts for the duration of the spell or until a strong wind disperses the fog. Creatures who start their round within the cloud or enter it take 1d6 cold damage.
Higher levels:
When using higher spell slots to cast this spell the radius of the cloud increases by 10ft and the damage by 1d6 per level of spell slot above second.

Vogie
2018-05-18, 12:53 PM
Locate Keys
Action
You sense the direction to the object's location, as long as its within 50 feet of you. You can only target objects that are intimately familiar to you, and were either carried by you, or worn on your person in the last 24 hours.

Life Alert
Action
Duration: 8 hours
You forge a telepathic link among up to 1 willing creatures of your choice within 10 ft, psychically linking yourself. During the duration, the most minor communication of feeling is possible over any distance up to 50 miles, but it can’t extend to other planes of existence. The only feelings that can be communicated are:

Weal, a good feeling
Woe, a bad feeling
Weal and woe, a mixed feeling
The connections are stronger at higher levels. At levels 5, 11, and 17, you can either increase the number of creatures that can be linked by 1, or double the distance of the link.

Fletchermancy
Bonus action
A single nonmagical piece of ammunition (arrow, dart, or bolt, et cetera) is duplicated up to 5 times. These duplicates last for the duration or after they hit or miss.

Craft
Action
Telekinetically weave & fold a target object less than 1 ft cube in volume. This can be used to minor crafts such as creating origami animals, weave bracelets, or organizing beads.

samcifer
2018-05-18, 01:05 PM
I wish there was a lightning-based cantrip besides Shocking Grasp.

Vogie
2018-05-18, 01:26 PM
I wish there was a lightning-based cantrip besides Shocking Grasp.

Lightning Lure from SCAG?

samcifer
2018-05-18, 01:30 PM
Lightning Lure from SCAG?

Oh yeah, forgot about that one. :/

Still, a longer-reaching one like Fire Bolt would be good.

JackPhoenix
2018-05-18, 04:43 PM
Oh yeah, forgot about that one. :/

Still, a longer-reaching one like Fire Bolt would be good.

Take Fire Bolt, rename it, make the damage type lightning instead of fire. Done.

Witch Bolt would actualy be nice as an cantrip... definitely better than as leveled spell. Lower the damage die a bit, though.

Agénor
2018-06-16, 08:51 AM
I am using this thread as it doesn't seem very old and I have been wondering about a possible cantrip combining Shocking Grasp and Green-Flame Blade/Booming Blade.

A melee weapon attack, just like for GFB/BB that would, like SG, deny the target a reaction for the coming round, have advantage if he is wearing a metallic armour and would do extra electricity damage starting level 5.

What say you? Balanced? In line with the theme of other Cantrips?

Innocent_bystan
2018-06-16, 09:00 AM
I am using this thread as it doesn't seem very old and I have been wondering about a possible cantrip combining Shocking Grasp and Green-Flame Blade/Booming Blade.

A melee weapon attack, just like for GFB/BB that would, like SG, deny the target a reaction for the coming round, have advantage if he is wearing a metallic armour and would do extra electricity damage starting level 5.

What say you? Balanced? In line with the theme of other Cantrips?

How is this balanced compared to Shocking Grasp itself?
You potentially get a better damage die (2d6 vs 1d8) and an ability modifier added to damage.

If a player wants to make Shocking Grasp attacks with a weapon, just allow him to make touch attacks with his sword. Done.

Agénor
2018-06-16, 09:19 AM
In this case, how do you compare Booming Blade to Shocking Grasp? Given that it does the weapon damage and maybe another 1d8.

I do not think there is a mechanism for touch attack in D&D5. How would one do it?

Innocent_bystan
2018-06-16, 09:28 AM
But Booming Blade doesn't add Advantage for attacking an opponent in metal armor and it doesn't take their Reaction away.

And those are very decent 'extra effects'.

If you want to make a cantrip based on Booming Blade, I'd change the damage type to Lightning and change the rider to something in the lines of "if your opponent uses his Reaction" to add the bonus damage.

Thunder and Lightning damage are more or less equal in value. And you get the same "trigger for extra damage" rider.

Innocent_bystan
2018-06-16, 09:30 AM
I do not think there is a mechanism for touch attack in D&D5. How would one do it?

Forgot to reply to this: they are called Melee Spell Attack now.

Agénor
2018-06-16, 07:04 PM
I think the cases where the opponent is wearing a metallic armour are rare enough that we can safely call this effect a ribbon. Denying the opponent his reaction however is as you call it a decent effect indeed.

So the comparison I was looking for between my proposed cantrip and Booming Blade is as follows, do you think denying one's reaction is on par with [tier of play]d8 damage if and when the opponent moves?

I think the two effects are on par but I'd like the thoughts of the denizens of this forum.

What makes me think so are the two following points:
I think the trigger for extra damage of Booming Blade happens more often than not - as the opponents rarely have the knowledge to recognise the spell effect - for movement in combat is from gameplay experience the norm.
I think occurrences that give the opponents the opportunity to take a reaction are the minority. Most opponents' rounds do not include a reaction, in which case nothing has been denied.

Innocent_bystan
2018-06-17, 03:41 AM
I think the cases where the opponent is wearing a metallic armour are rare enough that we can safely call this effect a ribbon.
That's campaign dependant, my players regularly encounter enemies in plate. But the advantage isn't the real goal of Shocking Grasp.

So the comparison I was looking for between my proposed cantrip and Booming Blade is as follows, do you think denying one's reaction is on par with [tier of play]d8 damage if and when the opponent moves?

You can't compare with only Booming Blade. Your proposed cantrip has a better damage output than Shocking Grasp with the same rider effect. It also allows for Sneak Attack, Horde Breaker,... to trigger.
Shocking Grasp is already a very good cantrip and your cantrip is better.

What makes me think so are the two following points:
I think the trigger for extra damage of Booming Blade happens more often than not - as the opponents rarely have the knowledge to recognise the spell effect - for movement in combat is from gameplay experience the norm.
This is also campaign dependant. In my experience, monsters stop moving when tagged with Booming Blade. IMO Booming Blade is about control, not about damage.

I think occurrences that give the opponents the opportunity to take a reaction are the minority. Most opponents' rounds do not include a reaction, in which case nothing has been denied.
The same can be said about Shocking Grasp's rider. That's perfectly fine. It's not a one-size-fits-all solution to all your problems. You use the cantrip because you are about to trigger a Reaction, or even the other way around if you want the extra damage.

Greywander
2018-06-17, 04:50 AM
I’ve always been interested in what you guys and gals could come up with because lots of great ideas come up here and was wondering what we’re some cantrips you people could come up with.
I haven't seen a lot of people sharing actually new cantrips, particularly utility cantrips, which is where things get the most interesting. Here's a list of cantrips I've put together but haven't tested yet, so they might need some tweaking. Out of these, I think my favorites are Coin Trick, Knowing, and Rope Charm.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1rMjavxLmxADw5s7vz6N86Htnem0QUIBv_l1hvyqZmWo/edit?usp=sharing

Agénor
2018-06-17, 10:20 PM
@Innocent_bystan

I am taking the two options of delivering an offensive Cantrip as equivalent, either through melee spell attack or through melee weapon attack, which is why I compare the proposed cantrip to Booming Blade.
It seems you consider the melee weapon attack superior to the melee spell attack hence your comparison with Shocking Grasp.
Each of us is scientific, comparing where only one variable changed^^

From there derives my question, what makes you think/feel melee weapon attack delivery is superior to melee spell attack?
Spell attack fits full spellcasters that do not know how to wield anything bigger than a dagger and poorly at that, it allows them to reliably hit, damage and inflict the effects of the spell unto their foes.
Weapon attack allows those characters that are better at wielding weapons than spells to do the same.
The two methods are for different people hence my thinking of them being equivalent.

I guess the discussion isn't about Shocking Grasp or Booming Blade in specific but about creating Cantrips using the other method of delivery, weapon when the original says spell and spell when the original says weapon.
A straight wizard or sorcerer will prefer melee spell attack while an Eldritch Knight or an Arcane Trickster will prefer melee spell attack.

What do you think of a Booming Grasp? Melee spell attack to inflict [tier]d8 and yet again if the target moves before the caster's next turn?

nickl_2000
2018-06-18, 06:45 AM
I haven't seen a lot of people sharing actually new cantrips, particularly utility cantrips, which is where things get the most interesting. Here's a list of cantrips I've put together but haven't tested yet, so they might need some tweaking. Out of these, I think my favorites are Coin Trick, Knowing, and Rope Charm.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1rMjavxLmxADw5s7vz6N86Htnem0QUIBv_l1hvyqZmWo/edit?usp=sharing

Just a few of my own, ranged version of Booming Blade and Green flame Blade

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1THOKmvPVOL2DWqc5jfk4f-c6SDDPRTrH/view?usp=sharing

Innocent_bystan
2018-06-18, 12:00 PM
In a spoiler tag, because this discussion is somewhat derailing the thread:

@Innocent_bystan

I am taking the two options of delivering an offensive Cantrip as equivalent, either through melee spell attack or through melee weapon attack, which is why I compare the proposed cantrip to Booming Blade.
It seems you consider the melee weapon attack superior to the melee spell attack hence your comparison with Shocking Grasp.
Each of us is scientific, comparing where only one variable changed^^

From there derives my question, what makes you think/feel melee weapon attack delivery is superior to melee spell attack?
Spell attack fits full spellcasters that do not know how to wield anything bigger than a dagger and poorly at that, it allows them to reliably hit, damage and inflict the effects of the spell unto their foes.
Weapon attack allows those characters that are better at wielding weapons than spells to do the same.
The two methods are for different people hence my thinking of them being equivalent.

I guess the discussion isn't about Shocking Grasp or Booming Blade in specific but about creating Cantrips using the other method of delivery, weapon when the original says spell and spell when the original says weapon.
A straight wizard or sorcerer will prefer melee spell attack while an Eldritch Knight or an Arcane Trickster will prefer melee spell attack.

What do you think of a Booming Grasp? Melee spell attack to inflict [tier]d8 and yet again if the target moves before the caster's next turn?

The problem with creating variant forms of spells is that only those characters who will benefit by taking the variant will do so.

So you aren't homebrewing a cantrip for every spellcaster, you're brewing one for -in this case- a character with probably only 1 attack, that can profit by using his weapon damage somehow and that probably has a higher melee attack score than his magic attack score. Other characters will just learn Shocking Grasp.

Let's consider a somewhat melee-capable wizard (INT 20, DEX 16) using a 1d6 weapon. For argument's sake, let's assume that a +4 mod results in a 65% chance to hit and that the character is lvl 5.
Shocking Grasp: 70% chance to hit and 2d8 damage = 0.7 * 2 * 4.5 (avg dam) = 6.3 damage.
Shocking Blade: 60% chance to hit and 1d6 + 3 + 1d8 damage = 0.6 * (3.5 + 3 + 4.5) = 6.6 damage

The above example is in no way optimized in favor of Shocking Blade and it still beats Shocking Grasp in damage output.

The fact that characters can add Sneak Attack, Horde Breaker, Smites, Stunning Strike, Superiority Dice, Fighting Styles, ... to a weapon attack, but not to a spell attack only adds insult to injury.

So yes, I really do believe that melee weapon attacks are better than melee spell attacks. They allow for a much wider range of modification.

IMO the SCAG weapon cantrips were a design mistake. The increased base damage (starting at level 5) makes them must-haves for certain types of characters even without the rider effects.