PDA

View Full Version : Power rangers?

Goblin Slayer
2018-05-11, 09:12 PM
Are there any fans here of the movie, the games, the comic(boom), toys, or the series (any seasons)?

Delicious Taffy
2018-05-12, 01:32 AM
Nobody on this site enjoys Power Rangers more than I. That's a promise.

Some Android
2018-05-12, 02:10 AM
I watched one of the series as a kid. Haven't revisited it much since. I remember this one episode where an evil badguy-man came down to earth and started messing things up, then the evil badguy-man turned into a giant and the mechs were summoned. That was a good episode.

Actually, no wait, I have revisited it semi-recently because a few years ago I got out my SNES and one of the games I frequently played was the power rangers beat 'em up. Good game. Needs to be ported to steam.

Devonix
2018-05-12, 02:53 AM

I wouldn't be so sure of that . I'm a pretty big fan. Looking forward to the Hasbro run beast Morphers

Goblin Slayer
2018-05-12, 03:47 AM
Who's here reads the boom comics. The comic series is hella dope. You guys need to read shattered grid man.

Anonymouswizard
2018-05-12, 05:26 AM
More into Super Sentai than Power Rangers, I just find that it tends to clock for me more. Although some of the latest series bugged me, especially as they insist on having shouty Reds whole the calm reds have generally worked better. Lucky was so bad I stopped watching Kyuranger.

ben-zayb
2018-05-12, 07:29 AM
More of a Super Sentai fan, too, but I unironically enjoyed MMPR to Zeo as a kid. Ninja Storm and Dino Thunder I watched whenever they're on, but I didn't have as much investment as I did the OG ones. I have enjoyed RPM immensely for various reasons, prefame Adelaide Kane being the chief reason.:smalltongue:

Traab
2018-05-12, 10:07 AM
I watched the american version up till the clockwork empire or whatever it was called took over as series bad guys. Just started getting bored with the whole "Omg, new bad guys who are totally way stronger! Lets get new zords that are also far stronger!" /literally nothing appears more powerful in any way. At least when Zed showed up with serpentara it LOOKED impressive.

JadedDM
2018-05-12, 11:16 AM
Waaaaaay back when it first aired, I watched it fairly regularly up until Zeo. Then I sort of lost interest. Then I got back into it with Time Force, then lost interest again after that. I haven't really watched any since then, until the new movie came out. Any word on if they are still going to make a sequel or not, by the way?

Anonymouswizard
2018-05-12, 11:16 AM
Yeah, it all works better in the 'new team with new villains' model. In Sentai it's pretty explicit that each team is supposed to start at roughly the same 'power level' as their predecessors, although obviously different themes cause the scaling to go right out of the window (no other team is as versatile as Magiranger for instance). Editing multiple series together meant that eventually the fact that the Japanese shows we all independent would make the increasing villain threat to begin to rain hollow.

As a side note, is anybody else put off by the more collectable focused series? While I understand that having a lot of forms and trinkets means there's more toys to sell, I miss the days where you could have forty episodes with only the basic forms.

Goblin Slayer
2018-05-12, 11:38 AM
they needed more merch sale. the formula of switching teams and stuff was all to ensure that there will always be new stuff to buy. like power ranger in the end is still for selling toys. like the legacy morphers.
i mean there the repeat of there a bad guy the ranger need to stop and stuff but each series has a new way of telling it. its a little fun now and a again also the gimmicks of each rangers are awesome

Devonix
2018-05-12, 12:32 PM
they needed more merch sale. the formula of switching teams and stuff was all to ensure that there will always be new stuff to buy. like power ranger in the end is still for selling toys. like the legacy morphers.
i mean there the repeat of there a bad guy the ranger need to stop and stuff but each series has a new way of telling it. its a little fun now and a again also the gimmicks of each rangers are awesome

They actually wanted to keep the same teams and uniforms but ran out of footage to translate.

In order to keep the show going they had to follow along more with the Sentai.

Super Sentai from the very beginning has always been one team one season. The best part of that is that it avoids the problem of power creep. All teams are comparable. The very first super Sentai team is strong enough to fight with any of the new heroes band villains.

General rule is. All Sentai members scale to each other.

Traab
2018-05-12, 01:57 PM
They actually wanted to keep the same teams and uniforms but ran out of footage to translate.

In order to keep the show going they had to follow along more with the Sentai.

Super Sentai from the very beginning has always been one team one season. The best part of that is that it avoids the problem of power creep. All teams are comparable. The very first super Sentai team is strong enough to fight with any of the new heroes band villains.

General rule is. All Sentai members scale to each other.

Which honestly is a better idea than basically running with the same cast till they get boring then replacing them after several "upgrades" and such. Maybe the american version thought it would be more long lasting of a series with a familiar cast? Because honestly it would have been simple to setup a B plot where each team trains a replacement or whatever. They put on the suit which becomes a new version just for them but of the same general power, and the adventure continues.

Dragonus45
2018-05-12, 04:34 PM

I can and will fight you.

ben-zayb
2018-05-12, 04:37 PM
As a side note, is anybody else put off by the more collectable focused series? While I understand that having a lot of forms and trinkets means there's more toys to sell, I miss the days where you could have forty episodes with only the basic forms.

I mean, Super Sentai genre was targeted for kids since the beginning, so I just consider that part of the deal. Kamen freaking Rider however...let's just say I miss just having a single rider with just maybe an upgrade or two. Now ww got 3+ riders with a bazillion forms for merch purposes

Legato Endless
2018-05-12, 05:21 PM
Which honestly is a better idea than basically running with the same cast till they get boring then replacing them after several "upgrades" and such. Maybe the american version thought it would be more long lasting of a series with a familiar cast? Because honestly it would have been simple to setup a B plot where each team trains a replacement or whatever. They put on the suit which becomes a new version just for them but of the same general power, and the adventure continues.

I don't know. I'd actually prefer the 3-4 season sweet spot with the same cast. One season is fine for a concept or a basic theme with assorted archetypes, but some layered characterization which fleshes out the relationships would be more my taste. You get away from all the introduction heavy necessities of the first season and let things breathe and grow. Then stop before everything gets stale around the stereotypical season 5-6.

As for power creep, have each season's obligatory merchandise have a different specialization and just discard the endless climb cliché. Maybe one season they're more stealth, another they're in a different environment, they've specced for big battlefields and now they're dealing with more guerrilla style enemies, etc. Gives each season a stylized look, but it's not really an upgrade and more a respec.

I doubt there's a market for this, but I think it's a decent structure.

I can and will fight you.

With the appropriate sparks and explosions?

Dragonus45
2018-05-12, 05:47 PM
I don't know. I'd actually prefer the 3-4 season sweet spot with the same cast. One season is fine for a concept or a basic theme with assorted archetypes, but some layered characterization which fleshes out the relationships would be more my taste. You get away from all the introduction heavy necessities of the first season and let things breathe and grow. Then stop before everything gets stale around the stereotypical season 5-6.

As for power creep, have each season's obligatory merchandise have a different specialization and just discard the endless climb cliché. Maybe one season they're more stealth, another they're in a different environment, they've specced for big battlefields and now they're dealing with more guerrilla style enemies, etc. Gives each season a stylized look, but it's not really an upgrade and more a respec.

Yes, I will be be adding extra dramatic poses though.

ben-zayb
2018-05-12, 06:11 PM

I think the problem (which happened in MMPR IIRC) was that stretching a season could mean Bandai has to spend money on their own action pieces, which means paying for fight choreo, SFX, extra crew hours, etc, instead of just dubbing stock footages.

The other option would be to use multiple sentai seasons on one PR season. This could work, especially if the theme of either sentai seasons isn't identifiable enough, or if they are similar enough.

MMPR went from ancient creatures to mythical creatures, which worked.

That's not always the case, as shown with Super Megaforce suddenly being in-your-face Pirate themed. (None of them looked like Thor, so an Angel + Pirate combination didn't really work for them)

Knight9910
2018-05-12, 10:27 PM
Funny, I've actually been watching all of the Power Rangers shows on Netflix and writing reviews. Up to Ninja Storm right now.

I try not to spam buuuuuut I wouldn't be averse to anyone clicking that link in my signature to check out my review of the first show. >w>

Goblin Slayer
2018-05-12, 11:36 PM
i mean there was a time before ninja storm that they wanted to implement hexagon where the rangers would work with all old ranger and they would help the older teams of ranger who are still fighting the forces 0of evil around the entire wold and even in space.

Knight9910
2018-05-13, 12:00 AM
i mean there was a time before ninja storm that they wanted to implement hexagon where the rangers would work with all old ranger and they would help the older teams of ranger who are still fighting the forces 0of evil around the entire wold and even in space.

It does kind of lead into the Avengers problem, though.

Like, were the events of Iron Man 3 really a bigger deal for Stark than Hydra launching giant sniper airships to kill every good person on Earth?

And is... whatever the Silver Guardians were doing more important than Master Org making a perpetual planet-wide rainstorm and taking over cities with vines in order to eradicate the human race? And it's not like there wasn't time, as it's made clear the final incident lasted for at least two days and was doing stuff worldwide.

Some Android
2018-05-13, 10:03 PM
Not sure if anyone here watches Drawfee, but they did an episode dedicated to Power Rangers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9Bc3RmYwCo

Knight9910
2018-05-20, 04:05 AM
I'm up to Dino Thunder now, and I'm noticing a trend among Power Rangers series.

Most series are around 40-ish episodes. There's usually 3-5 solid episodes at the beginning to get us started, 3-5 good episodes somewhere in the early middle, usually a "sixth ranger" arc, and then 5-10 good episodes at the end when the story finally gets rolling. The rest of the episodes are all basically just filler.

Devonix
2018-05-20, 06:49 AM
I'm up to Dino Thunder now, and I'm noticing a trend among Power Rangers series.

Most series are around 40-ish episodes. There's usually 3-5 solid episodes at the beginning to get us started, 3-5 good episodes somewhere in the early middle, usually a "sixth ranger" arc, and then 5-10 good episodes at the end when the story finally gets rolling. The rest of the episodes are all basically just filler.

Before I respond to this I really need to know what definition of filler you're using.

Traab
2018-05-20, 07:02 AM
Before I respond to this I really need to know what definition of filler you're using.

Yeah, I mean, the show is pretty episodic. Yeah there are arcs where developments happen, but those are generally short, a few episodes then back to monster of the week. Its like calling most of star trek tng filler. Technically true, as most of it has no bearing on the series past that episode, but since it wasnt meant to be an ongoing narrative, like say an anime along the lines of one piece, the use of the term is misplaced.

Manga Shoggoth
2018-05-20, 07:11 AM

Yes, I will be be adding extra dramatic poses though.

Have you decided which one dies of overacting?

I never really got in to Power Rangers (it's more my daughter's thing), but the overacting was such that I wondered what would have happened if they had Brian Blessed as a guest star. I would probably found it hilarious if it were in an anime, but it just never seemed to work in live action.

Devonix
2018-05-20, 07:23 AM
Yeah, I mean, the show is pretty episodic. Yeah there are arcs where developments happen, but those are generally short, a few episodes then back to monster of the week. Its like calling most of star trek tng filler. Technically true, as most of it has no bearing on the series past that episode, but since it wasnt meant to be an ongoing narrative, like say an anime along the lines of one piece, the use of the term is misplaced.

I'd say your Star Trek analogy is perfect. It doesn't fit the technical definition of filler, it does fit the sort of fan definition that's come up, but doesn't work in a show that's episodic.

Knight9910
2018-05-20, 07:57 AM
When I say that most of Power Rangers is filler, I don't just mean "it's not part of an ongoing story arc." I mean it's one of the boring formula episodes. It changes nothing about the series, adds nothing to the story, doesn't show us anything new about the characters...

The reason why that's bad and Star Trek (usually) isn't is that Star Trek episodes are their own self-contained stories and more importantly each one is (usually, again) different.

The filler episodes of PR are almost always exactly the same. Villain sends a monster, heroes blow it up, and the metaplot stays exactly where it is. Thanks, but I've seen this story before about, oh, let's say 250 times at this point. It also really starts to make the villains look utterly incompetent.

The one thing I can say is... it largely depends on the quality of the particular season as to whether this gets old or not. I didn't mind it so much when I was watching In Space or Lost Galaxy because those seasons are actually good. It got to me a lot quicker when I was watching Alien Rangers and Turbo because those seasons were a lot worse.

I think the main reason it's getting to me while watching Dino Thunder is because I just went through Wild Force and Ninja Storm in the last, like, two weeks. This definitely does not seem like a franchise that lends itself to binge watching.

Also because Dino Thunder so far is not really living up to the hype. Going in I heard it played up as the ultimate most bestest PR season and it's so far just "above average." Also heard a lot of praise for how intimidating and compelling the villains were and hahahahahaha no. Mesogog is at least trying but they're all one-note bad guys who can't do anything right and when they do get in a fight they usually run away after a single hit. There's not one single hint of what made characters like Ecliptor and Deviot interesting. I mean, they're not "Alien Rangers era Goldar" or "Vypra from Lightspeed Rescue" bad, but... man.

Devonix
2018-05-20, 08:19 AM
When I say that most of Power Rangers is filler, I don't just mean "it's not part of an ongoing story arc." I mean it's one of the boring formula episodes. It changes nothing about the series, adds nothing to the story, doesn't show us anything new about the characters...

The reason why that's bad and Star Trek (usually) isn't is that Star Trek episodes are their own self-contained stories and more importantly each one is (usually, again) different.

The filler episodes of PR are almost always exactly the same. Villain sends a monster, heroes blow it up, and the metaplot stays exactly where it is. Thanks, but I've seen this story before about, oh, let's say 250 times at this point. It also really starts to make the villains look utterly incompetent.

The one thing I can say is... it largely depends on the quality of the particular season as to whether this gets old or not. I didn't mind it so much when I was watching In Space or Lost Galaxy because those seasons are actually good. It got to me a lot quicker when I was watching Alien Rangers and Turbo because those seasons were a lot worse.

I think the main reason it's getting to me while watching Dino Thunder is because I just went through Wild Force and Ninja Storm in the last, like, two weeks. This definitely does not seem like a franchise that lends itself to binge watching.

Also because Dino Thunder so far is not really living up to the hype. Going in I heard it played up as the ultimate most bestest PR season and it's so far just "above average." Also heard a lot of praise for how intimidating and compelling the villains were and hahahahahaha no. Mesogog is at least trying but they're all one-note bad guys who can't do anything right and when they do get in a fight they usually run away after a single hit. There's not one single hint of what made characters like Ecliptor and Deviot interesting. I mean, they're not "Alien Rangers era Goldar" or "Vypra from Lightspeed Rescue" bad, but... man.

Mesagog is ok but in actuallity Lotor is a far far more competent villain. He's silly but that silliness masks what a huge threat he is both physically and intellectually. Dino Thunder is good, really good but not the end all be all of ranger shows.

And what we mean when we are talking about calling something filler is that. Even if Power Rangers is an episodic series. It kind of can't have actual filler. Also yeah the show isn't ment to be binged. It's a series of stand alone stories that don't for the most part blend into each other though there are plot throughlines and very real character changes and developments particularly Ninjastorm-SPD

Knight9910
2018-05-20, 08:47 AM
Mesagog is ok but in actuallity Lotor is a far far more competent villain. He's silly but that silliness masks what a huge threat he is both physically and intellectually. Dino Thunder is good, really good but not the end all be all of ranger shows.

Agreed, actually.

Mesogog is more serious but most of the stuff he tries to do fails hard. Lothor is really silly makes a lot of jokes, but is more accomplished.

Devonix
2018-05-20, 08:53 AM
Agreed, actually.

Mesogog is more serious but most of the stuff he tries to do fails hard. Lothor is really silly makes a lot of jokes, but is more accomplished.

The Disney Era actually peaks I'd say in SPD which is up next and I think you're going to love it. Though you also have tow more amazing series after it.

Knight9910
2018-05-20, 09:09 AM
The Disney Era actually peaks I'd say in SPD which is up next and I think you're going to love it. Though you also have tow more amazing series after it.

I've heard good things about SPD. I've also heard a lot of good things about RPM and am looking forward to that one too.

So far my favorite thing about Dino Thunder is Tommy's return... too bad he's just a voice for like half the season. :p

Traab
2018-05-20, 09:12 AM
I get your point and agree, its a very strict formula that it follows. New rubber suit creates minor havoc, the rangers show up to beat down whatever version of putties are in this season, they fight the monster and win, it grows, they go megazord of whatever type, they blow it up, bulk and skull look like idiots, roll credits. (I know the bulk and skull thing tapers off over time, but its the set im most familiar with)

Devonix
2018-05-20, 09:26 AM
I've heard good things about SPD. I've also heard a lot of good things about RPM and am looking forward to that one too.

So far my favorite thing about Dino Thunder is Tommy's return... too bad he's just a voice for like half the season. :p

Jungle Fury has one of the best villain dynamics of the series I'd say with great character development and some of the best fight choreography both in and out of the suits. Since all of the main cast is properly martial arts trained. It's got some of the best stuntwork of the entire franchise.

No reliance on superpowers like in dino thunder or mystic force. just really well shot hand to hand fighting.

Goblin Slayer
2018-05-22, 12:26 AM
I hope kyurangers will be adapted soon. What do you think it's name will be? Power rangers star force?

Anonymouswizard
2018-05-22, 08:15 AM
I hope kyurangers will be adapted soon. What do you think it's name will be? Power rangers star force?

I actually think Zyuohger would be better. Kyuranger's cast of nine means almost twice the number of main actors, and Zyuohger has an interesting setup that could work.

(Or maybe just annoyed that she we got a calm Red we went straight back to a shouty red.)

Goblin Slayer
2018-05-22, 10:01 AM
i think instead of another animal theme they should take a star based rangers. there beast morph recently i think another change in theme is best.

Anonymouswizard
2018-05-24, 06:36 AM
i think instead of another animal theme they should take a star based rangers. there beast morph recently i think another change in theme is best.

...You do realise that Kyuranger's essentially got animals as a secondary theme, right? Pretty much everybody but Balance.

Honestly, if I was deciding what series to adapt I'd go back and use Go-to Busters. Play up the spy theming compared to the animal theming.

Devonix
2018-05-24, 07:10 AM
...You do realise that Kyuranger's essentially got animals as a secondary theme, right? Pretty much everybody but Balance.

Honestly, if I was deciding what series to adapt I'd go back and use Go-to Busters. Play up the spy theming compared to the animal theming.

Go-Busters was already confirmed as the new season months ago.

It's being titled. Power Rangers Beast Morphers.

ben-zayb
2018-05-24, 07:15 AM
I really though it weird that Go-Busters wasn't adapted at all, especially considering the series used the "Morphin' time" line.

As with RPM, they could just put the emphasis less on the silly animal theme.

Devonix
2018-05-24, 07:24 AM
I really though it weird that Go-Busters wasn't adapted at all, especially considering the series used the "Morphin' time" line.

Well since the script and dialogue is gonna be different anyway. Them saying quotes from power rangers shouldn't factor in.

It would be hilarious if they called out Henehin. Or "Beast Change". In this show to reference Super Sentai the way the referenced Power Rangers.

Anonymouswizard
2018-05-24, 07:27 AM
Go-Busters was already confirmed as the new season months ago.

It's being titled. Power Rangers Beast Morphers.

Now that's cool. I think I preferred the more RPM style pitch I saw, but I might actually watch this season. I actually loved Go-Busters especially the first opening.

IIRC they were convinced by Bandai to skip it because it had poor sales. Which is a shame, the spy theming was cool, there are a lot of possibilities for translating Beet Buster and Stag Buster (could do a fairly straight conversion, although I expect to see them be handled as a seperate team that ends up working with the core three), and the villain designs were cool.

In fact I believe the plan was to RPM it.

Let's Morphin'.

(Are they going to keep the in-scene morphs? I get that they tax the budget a bit, but they were cool.)

EDIT: I now so want both Henshin and Beast Change to be in the series.

Goblin Slayer
2018-05-25, 09:55 PM
Sooo the rights got brought by Hasbro.

Calling one of the three :
1 Mlp/ Power ranger cross over
2 G.I.JOE / Power ranger cross over
3 transformer/ Power ranger cross over

Anonymouswizard
2018-05-26, 03:49 AM
Considering the... I can't remember what they're called, only the humanoid ones are megazords (I think it was Buster Machines)... In Go-Busters essentially transformed as transformers that one's either going to happen immediately or not for a while.

I'm interested to see what they do. Will they go for the more serious aspects (villains are stepping the energy supply! We don't know if our parents are alive!) or the siller aspects (Red and Yellow's weak points*, Beet J Stag)?

* Blue's would be silly, but in practice it turns out to be by far the best thought out.

Manga Shoggoth
2018-05-26, 06:46 AM
Sooo the rights got brought by Hasbro.

Calling one of the three :
1 Mlp/ Power ranger cross over
2 G.I.JOE / Power ranger cross over
3 transformer/ Power ranger cross over

You're too late. It has already been done (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Recap/MyLittlePonyFriendshipIsMagicS4E6PowerPonies)...