PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Clarification on the Scout's Skirmish Ability

BlackOnyx
2018-05-12, 01:13 AM
In the description for the Scout's skirmish ability, it states that the Scout adds their skirmish damage "on all attacks during any round" in which they move the requisite distance (10 feet).

...does this refer to each *individual* attack or the attack action as a whole? In other words, if a character were to have pounce(ex) and two weapon fighting, would the skirmish bonus be added to each individual swing or once per charge?

I find myself thinking the latter, as the former seems too good to be true. That said, I've been having a had time finding any definitive answers online. Any insight on the topic would be appreciated.

Rebel7284
2018-05-12, 01:29 AM
All attacks is pretty straightforward. It means each individual attack. It's good damage, but frankly, you can get way more damage on a charge with Shock Trooper/Leap Attack/Heedless Rush/etc. Unlike those methods, skirmish damage can't be multiplied.

Spirit Lion Totem Whirling Frenzy Barbarian 1/Scout 3/Ranger X with Swift Hunter feat is pretty great.

Uncle Pine
2018-05-12, 01:34 AM
In the description for the Scout's skirmish ability, it states that the Scout adds their skirmish damage "on all attacks during any round" in which they move the requisite distance (10 feet).

...does this refer to each *individual* attack or the attack action as a whole? In other words, if a character were to have pounce(ex) and two weapon fighting, would the skirmish bonus be added to each individual swing or once per charge?

I find myself thinking the latter, as the former seems too good to be true. That said, I've been having a had time finding any definitive answers online. Any insight on the topic would be appreciated.
You get to add it to every single attack you make, both on your turn and for example during AoOs, until the end of the current round. The only exception is for "volley attacks", as per Rules Compendium:

A form of attack that enables an attacker to make multiple attacks during an action other than a full-round action, such as the Manyshot feat (standard action) or a quickened scorching ray (swift action), allows precision damage to be applied only to the first attack in the group.

Khedrac
2018-05-12, 02:10 AM
This is why Scouts like Greater Manyshot as a feat.

One thing to remember - there is an errata on Skirmish: the scout must move to at least 10 ft from where they started, so no moving 5 ft and then back to where they began.

Kelb_Panthera
2018-05-12, 02:13 AM
You get to add it to every single attack you make, both on your turn and for example during AoOs, until the end of the current round. The only exception is for "volley attacks", as per Rules Compendium:

That's such a stupid, unnecessary nerf. I advocate disregarding it to any DM that will listen.

BlackOnyx
2018-05-12, 03:01 AM
All attacks is pretty straightforward. It means each individual attack. It's good damage, but frankly, you can get way more damage on a charge with Shock Trooper/Leap Attack/Heedless Rush/etc. Unlike those methods, skirmish damage can't be multiplied.

Still...wow. That's not too shabby at all. Nice to know a TWF player still has some options to stay somewhat competitive. (Most of my experience has been with more caster focused classes; I'm still relatively inexperienced when it comes to martial PCs.)

Spirit Lion Totem Whirling Frenzy Barbarian 1/Scout 3/Ranger X with Swift Hunter feat is pretty great.

Mmm, I can certainly see it. Somewhat along the same lines as the PC (an unarmed-only street thug) I put together for a campaign my buddy's running. Barb 7/Thug 1 with a number of Barb ACFs [Lion Totem (pounce), City Brawler (unarmed TWF & ITWF), Whirling Frenzy, Dashing Step, Unshakable, and Streetfighter]. Plus a natural bite attack to boot (lightly homebrewed demontouched race).

Imagining an extra xd6 damage on the 6 attacks she already gets here at ECL 8...woof. The build would have probably been a bit different had I realized skirmish was a thing. (That much more to look forward too in the next few levels, I suppose.)

One thing to remember - there is an errata on Skirmish: the scout must move to at least 10 ft from where they started, so no moving 5 ft and then back to where they began.

Ah, good to know. No "ring-around-the-baddy" or "electric slide" plays then, huh? A real shame.