PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next The Way of Balance, a 5e Monk Support Subclass (PEACH)

Kas Ba’alphegos
2018-05-12, 02:20 AM
I noticed that there were monk subclasses that could possibly substitute for other classes, and realized that there were no real support based subclasses. Being a fan of the game Overwatch, my thoughts drifted to Zenyatta. A monk who is a support character that is based on a balance of harmony and discord. This subclass is definitely inspired by him to some degree, as well as a general Yin-Yang theme.

I need quite a bit of help with the capstone ability, and I feel like there isn't a ton of *umph* to the class. (Maybe there doesn't need to be?) The 6th level ability is a feat from the Tal'Dorei Campaign Setting book from the people at Critical Role (TCG 108p), and the 11th level ability is from the divination Wizard (PHB 116p), but this monk gets it MUCH later.

Thanks in advance for the help!

__________________________________________________ ____________________________________________

The Way of Balance

Archetype Features (3, 6, 11, 17):

Beginnings of Balance:
- At 3rd level when you choose this archetype, you learn these spells and may cast them for 2 ki points with no components:
- Bane
- Bless

Sanction/Synergy: (Bonus Action, 30ft, 1/per long rest)
- At 3rd level, you can minutely manipulate the equilibrium of reality:

Sanction -
You take disadvantage on the next roll you make.
Choose one enemy within range, that creature gains disadvantage on the next roll they make

OR

Synergy -
You take disadvantage on the next roll you make.
Choose one ally that you can see within range our Ally gains advantage on the next roll they make.

Balance Blooms:
- At 6th level, you learn these spells and may cast them for 3 ki points with no components:
- Hex
- Warding Bond

Karmic Harmony:
At 6th level when you choose this archetype, your understanding of balance has reached new heights:

Dual-Focused -
Countless hours have been spent training your mind to maintain focus on concurrent incantations, taxing as the process may be.

If you attempt to cast a spell that requires concentration while already concentrating on an existing spell, you can maintain concentration on both spells simultaneously. You must spend a standard action each subsequent round on maintaining this concentration, or lose concentration for both spells.

At the end of each turn where you have two spells you are concentrating on, you must make a Constitution saving throw (DC equals 10 + the number of complete rounds you’ve been concentrating on two spells). On a failure, you lose concentration for both spells. You can drop concentration on one of your spells during your turn as a free action to avoid this saving throw.

Any time you would be forced to make a Constitution saving throw to maintain concentration due to taking damage, the DC equals 10 + both spells’ levels combined, or half the damage you take, whichever number is higher. On a failure, you lose concentration on both spells

Balance Burgeons:
- At 11th level, you learn these spells and may cast them for 4 ki points with no components:
- Slow
- Haste

Redistribution of Fortune:
At 11th level, you may impart your own fortunes onto other creatures:
- When you finish a long rest, roll two d20s and record the numbers rolled.
- You can replace any attack roll, saving throw, or ability check made by you or a creature that you can see with one of these fortune rolls. You must choose to do so before the roll, and you can replace a roll in this way only once per turn.
- Each fortune roll can be used only once. When you finish a long rest, you lose any unused fortune rolls.

Balance Unbridled:
- At 17th level, you learn these spells and may cast them for 5 ki points with no components:
- Banishment
- Otiluke's Resilient Sphere

Capstone???:

At 17th level, ...

Composer99
2018-05-12, 06:57 PM
You could probably allow sanction (that's a word that has both positive and negative denotations, so you can leave it by itself) to be usable more often as you gain levels - even just twice at 11th level would be fine.

For the capstone, what about something like the rogue capstone, except you can only use it on other creatures? Usable once per long rest, I would think, what with all the spellcasting you're getting. If you weren't getting any spells at 17th level, I would say you could use it once between short or long rests. Helping your teammates be awesome seems like a good fit for a support subclass.