PDA

View Full Version : DM Help 3.5e I need help making Half-Nymph LA+1

BloodSnake'sCha
2018-05-12, 01:03 PM
Hello guys,

A New-Old player is joining my game and we play with LA+1 for free.

Half-Nymph is +2.

I was thing on 2 options:
1. Changing it to LA+1(I don't know how).

2. Making him stay with LA+1.

ZamielVanWeber
2018-05-12, 01:08 PM
I am.not convinced it is worth +2, but if anything would particularly draw note it would be how large their stat buffs are. Pare those down and you will easily be in +1 territory.

BloodSnake'sCha
2018-05-12, 01:16 PM
I am.not convinced it is worth +2, but if anything would particularly draw note it would be how large their stat buffs are. Pare those down and you will easily be in +1 territory.

How will you change the Stats?

Telonius
2018-05-12, 01:19 PM
If you're going for a fey-theme with a smaller LA, you might try Feytouched (from Fiend Folio). 3.0 material, and you have to work a little to derive a template out of it; but asdflove has done the heavy lifting for it here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?298302-Feytouched-Template). Wizards also released a savage progression here (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20040213a).

BloodSnake'sCha
2018-05-12, 01:28 PM
If you're going for a fey-theme with a smaller LA, you might try Feytouched (from Fiend Folio). 3.0 material, and you have to work a little to derive a template out of it; but asdflove has done the heavy lifting for it here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?298302-Feytouched-Template). Wizards also released a savage progression here (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20040213a).

I know about Feytouched.

We just don't want it.

Goaty14
2018-05-12, 01:39 PM
Could you buyoff the LA?

BloodSnake'sCha
2018-05-12, 01:43 PM
Could you buyoff the LA?

NO, I will not let him buy it off.

Covenant12
2018-05-12, 01:55 PM
It is a quite weak LA +2, and that's putting it mildly. The shaken effect only works on humanoids, and there's no easy way to make the party immune. Fey type is a mild positive, but you lose enlarge person if for some strange reason you wanted this template on a beatstick.

First move is lowering Cha to +2. I'd then look at the rest of the party, if it still seems strong lose the Int as well. +2 to three stats and very little else is fine for LA +1, if not a bit weak.

Zaq
2018-05-12, 02:11 PM
What book is Half-Nymph in? I can't find it in the Fiend Folio or any of the five MMs unless I'm missing something. I haven't bothered checking the other sources for monsters yet, though.

Since I can't see the actual text, I can't make too many direct suggestions, but in general, WotC had a tendency to drastically overprice LA (since you play with +1 for free, you seem to be in agreement on that front). Unless there's some really crazy abilities that the template gives, it should honestly be fairly simple to just pare down the numbers a bit (if that) and call it LA +1. Shave off a stat boost or two, maybe reduce NA if the template gives NA, lower or remove an energy resistance—none of those things are really what make a template interesting until the numbers get ridiculous, but WotC really overvalued all of them, so if you believe that the template deserves +2 as written and want to remove something to weaken it in exchange for calling it +1, those are easy targets.

You can also approach the problem from the opposite angle, of course. What elements of the template does your player find to be the most interesting? What does he want out of being a half-nymph? Let your player identify why they care, and then that'll give you a great starting point for which elements to keep and which elements to drop.

Troacctid
2018-05-12, 02:13 PM
You have +1 LA free. So the other +1 is not free. It ends up being effectively +1 instead of +2. Seems easy enough.

You could certainly make it into a Savage Progression if you want, I guess.

Bronk
2018-05-12, 02:25 PM
You haven't said what the player wants as his starting race, so how about this build I've seen around: Warforged (+0 LA) with the the half fey template (+2LA), and the incarnate construct template (-2LA), and maybe with the Seelie Court Fey template (+1LA) to bring it back to +1?

ZamielVanWeber
2018-05-12, 02:46 PM
How will you change the Stats?

+2 Dex, Int, Cha

Boom +1.

Dragon #313 btw

Thurbane
2018-05-12, 05:08 PM
The highest "official" stat mods for an LA +1 race (barring templates etc.) are a total of +6 (Catfolk or Merfolk) [that I'm aware of].

If you want Half-Nymph to sit at LA +1, you might consider the following modifiers: Dex +2, Cha +4.

Note: this is by WotC's yardstick, which tends to be quite punitive in terms of LA adjustments.

BloodSnake'sCha
2018-05-12, 11:34 PM
Everyone, Thank you for your help :)