PDA

View Full Version : Draconic Sorcerer 1/Swashbuckler X idea

CTurbo
2018-05-12, 02:07 PM
So I've been wanting to play a Swashbuckler that uses Booming Blade for a while now. It's probably going to be my next character, but I was originally planning on getting Booming Blade via the Magic Initiate feat, which also meant being Vhuman, but I really don't want to be a Rogue without darkvision. So I have the idea of starting Draconic Sorcerer and then Roguing out from there. Starting Draconic Sorcerer gets me 4 cantrips, 2 1st level spells, and better than light armor AC. The only negative that I can see is I'm stuck with a Dagger for melee attacks.

For races I really like the idea of being a Tabaxi, but Half-Elf is always a possibility. I'd start 16 Dex, 14 Con, 16 Cha either way. Note: I want 20 Dex ASAP for sure so unless somebody has a brilliant idea I don't know about, I'll bump Dex at level 5 and 9. I'm probably content to leave Cha at 16. For future potential feats, I like Mobile despite Swashbuckler already getting some of the benefits. I always like Sentinel for Rogues being able to deal extra Sneak Attack damage with reaction.

As far as cantrips, I want Booming Blade, Green Flame Blade, and Minor Illusion for sure. For the 4th cantrip, I can't decide on the 4th. Control Flames would be useful in stealthing, Firebolt adds a ranged attack cantrip, Friends could be useful maybe. Any ideas?

For the two first level spells, I was thinking Shield and Silent Image but I'm open to suggestions. Shield is obvious but I was thinking Silent Imagine could make a great distraction to help with sneaking around. Similar to how well Minor Illusion helps with sneaking by distracting. Maybe Silent Imagine is redundant with Minor Illusion. Disguise Self could be useful. I'm not really looking at any of the damage spells. Any ideas?

So have I missed anything? Is there a better race to use? A better dip to get Booming Blade/Green Flame Blade? Like I said, I like Magic Initiate because it gets me Find Familiar too but it either means starting without darkvision, or delaying a maxed Dex to level 10 which I guess it's the end of the world.

Finney
2018-05-12, 02:29 PM
You could also consider a high elf for your character's race.

It provides you with +2 to dexterity, a cantrip of your choice from the wizard spell list (Booming Blade), and it would save you from having to multiclass.

th3g0dc0mp13x
2018-05-12, 02:58 PM
Half elf scag variant can start with one wizard cantrip.

MephitBlue
2018-05-12, 09:26 PM
Meet my current character, a Tabaxi Swashbuckler / Hexblade Warlock. Not only does he get the Booming Blade and Green Flame Blade cantrips, but he is proficient with a shield for a little extra AC.

If you are willing to take a 3 level dip in Hexblade you can have cool +1 weapon that appears and disappears on command and a couple of fun invocations that are perfect for a rogue. With 5 levels, you can get a 2nd attack plus the invisibility spell.

Crgaston
2018-05-12, 09:45 PM
I think that’s a great plan. Dragon Sorcerer synergizes really well with Swashbuckler with the cantrips and scaliness. That’s like free +1 studded leather.

For your other 1st level spell, consider Jump or Feather Fall, especially on a tabaxi. Your burst movement will make the Jump spell actually useful, and your climbing ability could let you conceivably set up HALO insertions with FF. Especially if your dm will let you direct your descent with the Gust cantrip.

Nidgit
2018-05-12, 10:05 PM
Why not just start Rogue and then take your level of Draconic Sorcerer as, say, your 4th level? That way you get rapiers for better damage, plus having proficiency in Dexterity saves will be of more use than Constitution since you won't really be needing concentration.

adolann
2018-05-12, 10:07 PM
Unless you really want the Constitution save, you'd be better off taking Rogue 1, then Sorcerer 1, then Rogue X. All the things you want from Sorcerer, you get when you multiclass in. Starting Rogue gives you more of the things that make you a Rogue (skills being a primary one).

CTurbo
2018-05-12, 11:19 PM
Hmm..... so Rogue first and then dip a level in Sorcerer huh? It does get me one extra skill. As far as Con saves vs Dex saves.... it's a toss up for me. Failing a Con save is usually a very bad thing. Evasion helps with Dex saves anyway. I do like the better weapon options though. hmm.... I'd need to figure out a good story reason to start Rogue, dip Sorc, and then go back to Rogue.

I do like the Jump idea. Thanks for that. My Str score will be 8 or 10 so my jump distance is going to suck.

A Fat Dragon
2018-05-12, 11:26 PM
Can you Sneak-Attack when using Booming Blade? Not that you’ll constantly be sneak-attacking, but it just seems like a poor reason to only go draconic Sorcerrer. You’ve already stated some of the buffs beyond just the single cantrip, but still.

Crgaston
2018-05-12, 11:38 PM
Yes, you can SA with Booming Blade.

A 1 level sorcerer dip writes its own backstory. Sorcery bloodlines manifest themselves unexpectedly instead of being something you choose/train for, so you’re just Swashbuckling along, minding your own business and then “Hey, why does my skin feel weird?” Boom. You’re a sorcerer, Harry.

CTurbo
2018-05-13, 01:50 AM
Can you Sneak-Attack when using Booming Blade? Not that you’ll constantly be sneak-attacking, but it just seems like a poor reason to only go draconic Sorcerrer. You’ve already stated some of the buffs beyond just the single cantrip, but still.

Yes, and a smart player will get his sneak attack every single round as a Swashbuckler. Why wouldn't you?

CTurbo
2018-05-13, 01:56 AM
Yes, you can SA with Booming Blade.

A 1 level sorcerer dip writes its own backstory. Sorcery bloodlines manifest themselves unexpectedly instead of being something you choose/train for, so you’re just Swashbuckling along, minding your own business and then “Hey, why does my skin feel weird?” Boom. You’re a sorcerer, Harry.

Yeah you're right. It's not like suddenly choosing to be a Monk or something lol