PDA

View Full Version : Drinking and casting?

MonkeySage
2018-05-12, 02:33 PM
For future roleplay, i'm wondering how my characters habits might affect his spellcasting. Mechanically I can guess, but it's ultimately up to the gm. He always carries two things: His spellbook, and his hip flask. He's pretty much always under the influence.

LibraryOgre
2018-05-12, 03:16 PM
Which system? Some games don't bother to make a note of the effects of alcohol... others have extensive rules for it.

Nifft
2018-05-12, 03:18 PM
That title...

I thought this was going to be a thread about limiting caster optimization by making the player take a shot every time the PC casts a spell.

... which might work, but it's not your topic.

MonkeySage
2018-05-12, 03:19 PM
Pathfinder.

Koo Rehtorb
2018-05-12, 03:26 PM
A concentration test with the DC based on how much you've drunk to cast the spell seems fitting. Does Pathfinder have concentration?

MonkeySage
2018-05-12, 03:33 PM
Doesn't have concentration checks, but it does have caster level checks.

Elysiume
2018-05-12, 04:18 PM
Doesn't have concentration checks, but it does have caster level checks.Pathfinder does have concentration checks. (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/#TOC-Concentration)

Lord of he Dank
2018-05-12, 04:54 PM
You could try to implement a randomizer like the Wild Magic Sorcerer chart from 5e.

Make it so on a 1 roll for attacks you roll on it like the class, but then the more you drink the effects happens on 1 or 2, then a 3, and so on. Could be hilarious when completely plastered.

Telonius
2018-05-14, 02:25 PM
Does he have any crafting feats? Fun times (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0130.html) ahead.

Psyren
2018-05-14, 02:58 PM
Pathfinder.

This might belong in the PF subforum.

Pathfinder has rules (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/afflictions/drugs/alcohol/) that consider excessive alcohol consumption to be comparable to drug addiction in terms of the effect it would have on your character. What constitutes "excessive" however is left to the GM to determine and would likely vary depending on the individual. For example, the amount of alcohol a dwarf might need to consume to develop an addiction might render a human catatonic.

SilverClawShift
2018-05-14, 03:39 PM
I'd think what kind of caster you are would matter a lot to what happens if you try Casting Under the Influence. Any kind of spellcasting that was innate or feeling/charisma-based might even experience a small boost a few drinks in, before becoming unpredictable and difficult as you continued consuming. Any casting that required concentration and intelligence would probably suffer after even a small amount of drinking, unless you were such a perpetual drunk that you were more used to having a high BAC than a low one, and even then it couldn't help, just stop getting in the way. And religious casting would probably depend on what deity you worshiped. If you were completely sloppy drunk and waved angrily at a group of people you were mad at and mumbled "Lighting. Stuff. You go boom." a more tightly wound deity might give you a dud, but if it were Thor or Odin or Bacchus or something, I could see them going "Ehhhh, I knew what you meant." and letting your lightning bolt fire off anyway.

LibraryOgre
2018-05-14, 05:30 PM
Moved .

flappeercraft
2018-05-14, 06:11 PM
There are some rules in A&EG for 3.5, for short, drinking alcohol reduces both wisdom and dexterity and is treated like a sort of poison.