PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Ice Claw spell is weak ways to make it better

greamlive
2018-05-12, 05:14 PM
Hi,

I wanted to know what are your opinions on the Ice Claw sepll from the Spell compendium. I think the spell is waek for a 7th level spell. I was wondering waht could be done to balance the power of the spell so that it become a valuable 7h spell.

Personally I thinke that the mechanic is not bad, its just de damage that is very underwhelming. It does a pitiful 1d8 cold damage.

what would you guys change to make it better ?

frogglesmash
2018-05-12, 05:22 PM
Correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't it just a worse version of Evard's black tentacles?

Deophaun
2018-05-12, 09:17 PM
The point of the spell is not damage. But what it does is very underwhelming. To start I'd take inspiration from magic missile and have it produce multiple claws based on caster level. Make it only damaged by fire, and have it automatically target the nearest enemy instead of requiring the standard action (though you may still use one if a retarget is desired).

flappeercraft
2018-05-12, 09:20 PM
Correct me wrong, but isn't it just a worse version of Evard's black tentacles?

You're completely correct, it just deals cold damage instead of bludgeoning. The devs didn't think this one through, Black tentacles is an AoE, can't be damaged and deals more damage. Ice Claw is singel target, can be damaged and deals an easily resistable energy type.