PDA

View Full Version : How to Reward a teamwork attack attempting player?

Garayin
2018-05-12, 06:05 PM
I have a player, a Fighter, who constantly tries to do team attacks. He likes throwing other players at monsters (who ask, mind you) and helping them in that manner. His own attacks are usually things like "I want to run over to this player, back flip off of him and slam my sword down onto the enemy". Of course, I make him perform some checks and whatnot before he does the move and usually give him advantage on the attack because I am not sure what else to give him. I've asked the group (4 players) how they would like to handle it, and their thoughts are all different except one guy (Druid) who has no opinion on it.

The player in question (Fighter) wants the attacks to do more damage. I have been sort of wanting to do this too, but then the group becomes a crazy flying circus because everyone is gonna do stuff like that for extra damage. Which I guess is not the worst thing in the world. One other player (Artificer) thinks nothing should come of it. It is just attack flavor and makes his character seem cooler in the world and not much else. And the last player (Sorceror) with an opinion on it believes he should just be given an inspiration die if he does not have one. This would in my head, essentially means he gets an inspiration die per encounter since he always does stuff like this.

How would you go about rewarding his attacks? Would you give him advantage? More Damage? Something else entirely? Maybe nothing is the right way to go.

Side question: I want to give him some combo type Magic Items. Is there anything that has a lot of team work potential? Homebrew stuff would work too. I was thinking a quiver that has 10 arrows that attract lightning based attacks. That way he can shoot someone, the Sorc can zap someone nearby and the damage arcs to the guy with the arrow in him or something. I haven't given it a lot of thought. The party is currently level 4 so I don't want to get too crazy yet.

Unoriginal
2018-05-12, 06:39 PM
Enthusiasm is appreciated, but there is no reason to reward "team attacks" in particular.

IF you think the player roleplayed awesomely, giving an inspiration is warranted, but it should not be a once-by-encounter thing unless the player is constantly that amazing.

It doesn't deserve extra damage either. It's just roleplay. It would confer an advantage if the Help action was used rather than another action, or if the fighter's idea is good enough by your standards to warrant it.

I hope your player hasn't been doing that just to get a bonus.

No one should get a special reward for regular RPing, in any case.

Garayin
2018-05-12, 06:58 PM
Enthusiasm is appreciated, but there is no reason to reward "team attacks" in particular.

IF you think the player roleplayed awesomely, giving an inspiration is warranted, but it should not be a once-by-encounter thing unless the player is constantly that amazing.

It doesn't deserve extra damage either. It's just roleplay. It would confer an advantage if the Help action was used rather than another action, or if the fighter's idea is good enough by your standards to warrant it.

I hope your player hasn't been doing that just to get a bonus.

No one should get a special reward for regular RPing, in any case.

It does seem to me that he enjoys the descriptive flavor I throw into his attacks but he also seems to be out for bonuses. I would say that he does use the help action without calling it as such. There have been instances where he describes himself as "Bracing for the throw" or "I kneel to make a jump attack off me easier" and stuff which is essentially help since he takes no other action. But on his own turns, no one is really doing that back for him. He just describes what he wants to do and usually makes the checks. I guess he should just have an acrobatic flavored character with no bonus to his antics?

bid
2018-05-12, 07:06 PM
How would you go about rewarding his attacks? Would you give him advantage? More Damage? Something else entirely? Maybe nothing is the right way to go.
Make monsters react to his attacks.
Maybe they waste their actions dodging, or try to actively block him.

He's inserting roleplay in his actions, the opposition should do the same.

Mellack
2018-05-12, 07:07 PM
You want to keep it balanced, so I think no more than advantage. It should also have some sort of cost. For example your flip off of another character. He would have to make a dexterity check, say DC 15. If he makes it he gets advantage on a single attack. If he fails by less than 5 no effect. Failure by 5 or more imposes disadvantage as he is off balance. Just my off the cuff idea.

djreynolds
2018-05-13, 12:29 AM
I believe a DM can give inspiration out, try that.

If a tactic is successful, the players get a 1d8 inspiration they can use til the next short rest

If it fails, perhaps they get a negative.

KillingTime
2018-05-13, 03:05 AM
Sounds to me like he's role-playing the help action as often as not.
It's your job as DM to interpret the exact mechanic that results, but simply giving advantage to the team mate is perfectly appropriate.
Dropping in a few awards if inspiration wouldn't hurt either, but I wouldn't over do it.

Unoriginal
2018-05-13, 03:28 AM
At best if the action is difficult enough to require an Ability check and it's successful, granting an advantage would be appropriate.

Grear Bylls
2018-05-13, 07:50 AM
I have a player, a Fighter, who constantly tries to do team attacks. He likes throwing other players at monsters (who ask, mind you) and helping them in that manner. His own attacks are usually things like "I want to run over to this player, back flip off of him and slam my sword down onto the enemy". Of course, I make him perform some checks and whatnot before he does the move and usually give him advantage on the attack because I am not sure what else to give him. I've asked the group (4 players) how they would like to handle it, and their thoughts are all different except one guy (Druid) who has no opinion on it.

The player in question (Fighter) wants the attacks to do more damage. I have been sort of wanting to do this too, but then the group becomes a crazy flying circus because everyone is gonna do stuff like that for extra damage. Which I guess is not the worst thing in the world. One other player (Artificer) thinks nothing should come of it. It is just attack flavor and makes his character seem cooler in the world and not much else. And the last player (Sorceror) with an opinion on it believes he should just be given an inspiration die if he does not have one. This would in my head, essentially means he gets an inspiration die per encounter since he always does stuff like this.

Side question: I want to give him some combo type Magic Items. Is there anything that has a lot of team work potential? Homebrew stuff would work too. I was thinking a quiver that has 10 arrows that attract lightning based attacks. That way he can shoot someone, the Sorc can zap someone nearby and the damage arcs to the guy with the arrow in him or something. I haven't given it a lot of thought. The party is currently level 4 so I don't want to get too crazy yet.

I would suggest telling him to become battle master. They dice he gets make these attacks make mechanical sense, and he can flavor it as: "Ok, Bob runs up to Bob II and launches off his back at the Orc, using the momentum of his sword to knock him over" (Tripping attack)

Armored Walrus
2018-05-13, 07:53 AM
If you want more of that at your table, by all means reward it. Giving bonus damage for that kind of thing, though, will directly affect your encounter math. So if you want the PC Flying Circus to still have challenging fights, you'll probably need to either up the HP of the stuff they fight (which makes the bonus damage only a phantom bonus in reality) or throw more mooks in your encounters that the bonus damage will allow folks to kill in one hit. (that wouldn't otherwise die in one hit) This will keep fights interesting, make them feel like badasses, and give you a crazy, flavorful fight.

EdenIndustries
2018-05-13, 11:30 AM
What I do at my table is allow players to do that if they succeed on a relevant skill check. So if a player wants to backflip off another player's back and slam their sword into the enemy, they need to not only pass an acrobatics check but also still hit the enemy. And yes if they do that, I provide some form of extra bonus relevant to situation. Perhaps more damage, perhaps inspiration, perhaps the enemy gets scared, etc. I like this system because it encourages player creativity with a tangible reward, but still provides a hurdle to overcome (the skill check) if they want to pull off the cinematic action.

Garayin
2018-05-13, 03:23 PM
Throw more mooks in your encounters that the bonus damage will allow folks to kill in one hit. (that wouldn't otherwise die in one hit) This will keep fights interesting, make them feel like badasses, and give you a crazy, flavorful fight.

This is sort of the approach I was thinking of taking if the guy doing it really wanted more damage. I kind of have no problem with my PCs becoming a flying circus. They tend to enjoy the imagery of the fight and laugh when the fighter beefs it. I find that this particular group wants to feel powerful, so this might be the best solution in this instance.

Now I just have to figure out what kind of magic items to give the fighter, what with his obsession with high flying stunts and teamwork attacks.

Mellack
2018-05-13, 03:29 PM
I seem to remember some kind of pair of rings. They gave mental communication and let you shift up to half the damage from a hit from one wearer to the other. Would they enjoy something like that?

Deathtongue
2018-05-13, 04:00 PM
Make monsters react to his attacks.
Maybe they waste their actions dodging, or try to actively block him.

He's inserting roleplay in his actions, the opposition should do the same.
I generally agree with this. Use roleplay actions to benefit someone reaching out to you with roleplay. Giving people brute mechanical advantages disconnected from roleplay for pure roleplay actions never works out in the long run; see Exalted and its 'stunting' system.

Armored Walrus
2018-05-13, 05:16 PM
Now I just have to figure out what kind of magic items to give the fighter, what with his obsession with high flying stunts and teamwork attacks.

Boots of Striding and Springing?

Actually this sounds like a player that will find a way to use just about anything you give them, so I'd just give them weird stuff just to find out what they do with it.