PDA

View Full Version : The importance to reach out to other introverted people

S@tanicoaldo
2018-05-12, 07:09 PM
When I’m reading books or comic books I hate when they use music as a reference or plot device, I’m really bad at making sense of lyrics and rhythms so I just can’t picture how the song goes on my head, I had this problem with some of my favorite books such as song of ice and fire books, lord of the rings and The king in yellow.

The latest incarnation of this problem was on the league of extraordinary gentleman, a visionary comic book created by the genius Alan Moore and set out to represent all forms of media, stories and myths in one single setting. It may be my favorite comic of all time if it wasn’t for all the rape scenes :/

There is a character who is very important to plot later one, she is the daughter of captain Nemo she rejects her father legacy and tries to make a living as a simple waitress, it’s a terrible sh*** inn where she works at , the patrons constantly mock and abuse her while her boss sing an ominous and foreboding song about a “Black Freighter” or something, sadly I’m not as much of a music savvy as I pictured myself as, in my mind that was an original song not a reference to something(In retrospect that was very foolish since this comic is nothing but references) so I just got sad that I was not able to get it.

After being raped by the inn clients she vows revenge and her revenge matches the lyrics of the song, I was unable to get that since songs piss me off so much I just gave a quick look and skipped most of the singing lines.

Anyway… Back to the title’s topic

So, today I visited my uncle, like me he’s an introverted loner who never leaves his house.

He never married and he lives alone in his apartment, he retired from the air force and made clear a number of times that he hated visits, he once said that if kids came to his house to sing Christmas song he would throw a bucked of cold water as Ebenezer Scrooge.

Still I was going to be around his neighborhood for some shopping and I picture how lonely it must be, it has been years since I last saw him in a family reunion so I thought why not pay him a visit.

I called first of course since once he made clear how much he hated when guests arrived without calling first.

I must say the experiencing of seeing again was really pleasant, we seat down talked a lot about life and culture, we drank his favorite type of tea(Cranberry) and listened to his old records together.

One of the records was of Nina Simone; I really love her so I was really happy to hear some of her songs I was unfamiliar with.

Turns out one of the songs was called “Pirate Jenny” and was the very song from the League talking about the Black Freighter and all, it makes so much sense since later on she calls her father’s submarine (That is now black) and has her revenge against all who wronged her just like the song.

So yeah just wanted to share this happy event and this huge coincidence, it feels so great to have this solved makes
me want to read everything to see if I lost any other reference.

Despite claiming not being a fan of visits I really feel that he was really happy to have me around for the day, we had lots of fun and I could see that by his facial expressions he wasn’t faking it just to be polite but genuinely happy to have someone to talk and share ideas.

So if you have any relatives or loved ones who don’t go out much pay them a visit, it can help wonders :>

Just remember to call first :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BB__mz4KGC8

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/kV6fngBOJMOOPwoeOX6NRYSjbu0MtPesFIgrVQ4DWdgT6LwTKd lxvz0y8g3IWAouNKwZDlOVuJreTQ=s1600
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/CQtDr0yaW-5SGZlTEevYB7oj-WAbYAqdl9xXA7--Dsz-TuSGpvycukymSmcAu1QvTwFKr9yhc5M0Wg=s1600

Elanasaurus
2018-05-13, 07:23 AM
Wow! That was a really cool experience you had!
So if you have any relatives or loved ones who don’t go out much pay them a visit, it can help wonders :>

Just remember to call first :DI will!

...When I grow up.:biggrin:
When I’m reading books or comic books I hate when they use music as a reference or plot device, I’m really bad at making sense of lyrics and rhythms so I just can’t picture how the song goes on my head, I had this problem with some of my favorite books such as song of ice and fire books, lord of the rings and The king in yellow.Yeah, me too, many times because the songs are meant to be "poetic" and have obscure meaning. That's why it's really cool when TV adaptations let us hear the songs.
later on she calls her father’s submarine (That is now black) and has her revenge against all who wronged her just like the song.Well, earlier in your post you mentioned
all the rape scenesGiven the information that Ms. Nemo gets revenge, and that there are a lot rape scenes, I choose to believe that she got revenge by raping them all back. Among other stuff :amused: That would be fitting justice, and make your statements true without there being any more rape in the book.:wink:
clammingYup, sounds like that's what he does.
:elan:

2D8HP
2018-05-13, 09:03 AM
Nina Simone

Funny Coincidentally one of the last intelligible things my father said to me before he died was his mentioning how he say Nina Simone perform in a Greenwich Village club in the 1950's.

FWLIW, here's an earlier version of "Pirate Jenny":
This week I've been in a dark and melancholy mood, and I've been listening to a lot of:

Die Moritat von Mackie Messer (https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zMWc4h77e2o)

Seeräuber Jenny (https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ec0clERjQ5A)

Both by Bertolt Brecht & Kurt Weill from "The Threepenny Opera"[...]

S@tanicoaldo
2018-05-13, 06:37 PM
Funny Coincidentally one of the last intelligible things my father said to me before he died was his mentioning how he say Nina Simone perform in a Greenwich Village club in the 1950's.

FWLIW, here's an earlier version of "Pirate Jenny":

It's not a nice song but it's a great song :D

Well, earlier in your post you mentionedGiven the information that Ms. Nemo gets revenge, and that there are a lot rape scenes, I choose to believe that she got revenge by raping them all back. Among other stuff :amused: That would be fitting justice, and make your statements true without there being any more rape in the book.:wink:Yup, sounds like that's what he does.

Too bad she was raped first and then got her revange from the terrible treatment she had to endure, but yeah you are not far from what happens, when she summons her father's submarine it doesn't come alone Nemo's infamous pirate crew comes with it. The submirine apears, it's now black(it used to be copper and red) modern and advanced, the piretes show up and ask her how they should kill everyone and she orders them to do it slowly.

They kill, rape and pilage, so yeah you are not wrong about how she gets her revenge.

Hail Sithis
2018-06-26, 12:46 PM
I'm introverted and I'm proud of that.
Cuz introvertion means you're not dependent on others (no?)

Hail Sithis
2018-06-26, 12:47 PM
It's not a nice song but it's a great song :D

Too bad she was raped first and then got her revange from the terrible treatment she had to endure, but yeah you are not far from what happens, when she summons her father's submarine it doesn't come alone Nemo's infamous pirate crew comes with it. The submirine apears, it's now black(it used to be copper and red) modern and advanced, the piretes show up and ask her how they should kill everyone and she orders them to do it slowly.

They kill, rape and pilage, so yeah you are not wrong about how she gets her revenge.

Yay Sadists

Elanasaurus
2018-06-26, 09:22 PM
I'm introverted and I'm proud of that.
Cuz introvertion means you're not dependent on others (no?)Not as directly, and not as much.

Personally, I've found that recently I'm becoming less introverted than I care to be. :eek: