PDA

View Full Version : Simple question

LordDeath666
2018-05-12, 11:24 PM
I know this is a simple question but why do rogues need Dex. I have been playing for years but when one of my players asked my why rogues main ability score is dexterity I had no answer. Could someone help?

Edit: also what 3.5 book do I find warlock in

InvisibleBison
2018-05-12, 11:28 PM
Rogues don't wear heavy armor, so a high Dex helps with their AC. Rogues are a sneaky class, and both Hide and Move Silently key off of Dex. Rogues benefit from going first in combat, and having a high Dex score boosts their initiative modifier.

LordDeath666
2018-05-12, 11:32 PM
Thank you for the answer

Goaty14
2018-05-12, 11:34 PM
DEX is also a requirement for the TWF feat chain, which is probably the best combat option for them.

Edit: also what 3.5 book do I find warlock in

Complete Arcane

BowStreetRunner
2018-05-12, 11:38 PM
Also for Reflex Saves with Evasion.
Ranged attacks benefit from DEX and are often preferable to getting up close in combat if you are lightly armored and don't have high HP.
Besides Hide and Move Silently, Rogues have DEX based class skills Balance, Escape Artist, Open Lock, Sleight of Hand, Tumble, Use Rope.
It also to a lesser degree has some synergy with the Trap Sense and Uncanny Dodge class features.

Goaty14
2018-05-13, 12:04 AM
Also for Reflex Saves with Evasion.

Not really? People assume wizards don't have to care about wisdom because they have a good will save -- why do rogues have to care about their reflex save if it's already fast progression?

Kelb_Panthera
2018-05-13, 12:09 AM
Not really? People assume wizards don't have to care about wisdom because they have a good will save -- why do rogues have to care about their reflex save if it's already fast progression?

Most of the things that call for will saves are things to which a wizard can easily gain immunity and what's leftover is often less than debilitating. The same cannot be said of rogues and reflex saves.

Uncle Pine
2018-05-13, 12:27 AM
Because it's written in the rules:

Dexterity (Dex)
Dexterity measures hand-eye coordination, agility, reflexes, and balance. This ability is the most important one for rogues, but it’s also high on the list for characters who typically wear light or medium armor (rangers and barbarians) or no armor at all (monks, wizards, and sorcerers), and for anyone who wants to be a skilled archer.

Zaq
2018-05-13, 11:40 AM

Fast progression is a start, but not a finish. A Wiz who neglects WIS is still going to fail Will saves here and there. Fewer than the Fighter, perhaps, but more than they would probably like, on the balance.

Dipping into multiple classes or PrCs with the appropriate good save progression makes a difference, of course.

Kayblis
2018-05-13, 05:00 PM

Your point is valid, but consider this: A Wizard is pretty much made for multiclassing. It gains very little with each level up, and every PrC he would take has a good Will save. A Rogue, on the other hand, is not so prone to multiclassing as its class features aren't so bad and he has a lot of skillpoints, and usually won't pick more than one PrC(on most games anyways).

Other than that, excluding saves WIS is useless for a Wizard while DEX is the main tool of a Rogue due to all the other points(TWF, AC, Ranged attacks, Finesse, skills...). Reflex spells are usually lower level and more commonplace than Will spells of the same general effect - "Will negates" spells wreck your day only if you fail, "Reflex half" spells can take you out even if you succeed. That's taken into consideration for balance, and with Evasion the difference between a good and a bad save roll is not half damage, it's the whole damage.