PDA

View Full Version : Sci-Fi/Space Opera Shows (Current or Upcoming) On Streaming Services

Maquise
2018-05-13, 09:20 AM
I have officially reached my wit's end with cable, upon which no good sci fi or space opera show can survive. With The Expanse not being renewed for a fourth season, I have it in my mind to leave Syfy for good. Are there any good shows on any streaming services, either current or upcoming, that are set in outer space?

Anonymouswizard
2018-05-13, 11:45 AM
I've heard good things about Altered Carbon, despite it BETRAYING the book. Seriously, is having a pro-immortality protagonist really that bad?

With regards to The Expanse, I believe you should be able to continue the storyline via the books. I never got past Leviathan Wakes myself, but I hear they keep the same quality.

(Seriously, I'm confused as to why more Space Opera books aren't picked to become series. Some really good options out there.)

Leewei
2018-05-14, 12:06 PM
I've heard good things about Altered Carbon, despite it BETRAYING the book. Seriously, is having a pro-immortality protagonist really that bad?I enjoyed Altered Carbon a lot. I'd suggest it as Cyberpunk rather than Space Opera due to the detective noir plotline.

I'd add that the miniseries has loads of nudity.

Palanan
2018-05-14, 02:32 PM
Originally Posted by Maquise
With The Expanse not being renewed for a fourth season….

And my day just took a nosedive.

Curse SyFy. Curse them into blackest madness.

Maelstrom
2018-05-14, 02:42 PM
Agreed, SyFy might as well go back to wrastling...

Of course, on the bright side, the production company behind 'The Expanse' is actively and aggressively shopping the show to other outlets, and given it's rating's, I'm sure there are a few out there happy to snatch up a successful show with a pre-established base and a cast and crew that are already up to speed.

SyFy's decision sorta makes sense with the limitations placed on them for rebroadcasting the show, but still, I was just starting to respect their programming once again...well sort of...

Hunter Noventa
2018-05-15, 09:10 AM
If you're okay with anime, the definitive anime space opera, Legend of the Galactic Heroes, is getting a re-telling that's slightly condensed and massively visually upgraded, but you'l have to shell out for CrunchyRoll or HiDive to see it.

Anonymouswizard
2018-05-15, 10:49 AM
If you're okay with anime, the definitive anime space opera, Legend of the Galactic Heroes, is getting a re-telling that's slightly condensed and massively visually upgraded, but you'l have to shell out for CrunchyRoll or HiDive to see it.

Grumble grumble, will have to get Crunchyroll now.

Hunter Noventa
2018-05-15, 01:04 PM
Grumble grumble, will have to get Crunchyroll now.

You can technically watch for free, but the silmulcasts are a week behind, stuck in 480p and interspersed with ads.

But they've got a pretty solid backlog to go with all the current shows at least.

Anonymouswizard
2018-05-15, 01:23 PM
You can technically watch for free, but the silmulcasts are a week behind, stuck in 480p and interspersed with ads.

But they've got a pretty solid backlog to go with all the current shows at least.

I don't mind ads, I except it as the cost of watching for free. I can even handle being a behind. It's the 480p that's the killer.

Also, that's the problem. Too much access to anime and I lose out on sleep.

Psyren
2018-06-15, 09:01 AM
Have you finished Star Trek Discovery? My advice would be to watch Star Trek Discovery. Yes, it is easily worth the CBS subscription, and you can binge it and then cancel all in one month anyway.

Orville has surprisingly chewy worldbuilding, but as a parody it's pretty anemic.

Ramza00
2018-06-16, 12:44 PM
I take it you have seen Westworld?

Lethologica
2018-06-16, 12:45 PM
Amazon is picking up The Expanse for season 4, sooooo that's a streaming service with a good show set in outer space.

Fyraltari
2018-06-16, 01:21 PM
Apple is planning a show based on Asimov's Foundation serie. (https://www.theverge.com/2018/4/11/17223728/apple-foundation-trilogy-isaac-asimov-tv-show-david-goyer-josh-friedman)

If they manage not to butcher it, it could be great.

Palanan
2018-06-16, 07:42 PM
Originally Posted by Fyraltari
Apple is planning a show based on Asimov's Foundation serie[s].

oh my.

If they do it right...wow.

If, if, if.

Rakaydos
2018-06-25, 10:54 AM
Amazon has apparently optioned the first Culture novel, Consider Phelebas.