PDA

View Full Version : Merging Wounds & Vitality with Current System

Mith
2018-05-13, 09:47 AM
Hello everyone,

With the current couple of threads regarding specific fixes to the HP system, here is one that I have bouncing around in my head that shouldn't be too difficult to use.

1) HP becomes like the standard VP of a Wound Point system, and is restored with standard healing spells, with rest (probably not up to full), or by burning Hit Dice. At 0 VP, all attacks go to Wounds. If an attack reduces a target to 0 VP, they deal a number of wound points equal to the number of excess dice. So if a Goblin at 7 HP gets hit with a greatsword for 2d6+2 damage, and the attacker rolls a 5 and a 1, the Goblin takes 1 wound as the 5 damage + the 2 from Strength bonus takes out their VP, leaving 1 die left over to go to wounds.

2) Wound Points become your Hit Dice + Con modifier. After you take more than your Con mod in Wound damage, you lose a Hit Dice for every Wound point you lose. This also effects the number of Hit Dice you regain on a long rest.

3) On a critical hit, an attacker can choose to roll dice and do that much damage to the targets' VP, or damage Wound Points for the number of dice rolled. So a Greatsword crit can do 4d6+Str damage to VP, or 4 Wound points.

5) At 0 Wounds, you take a level of exhaustion, and roll Death saves. You can still fight in this condition, but you have all the risks of Death saves (any hit against you is a failed save, a crit is 2). Every failed save earns you 2 levels of Exhaustion. A 1 counts as 2 failed saves. Every successful save counts towards stabilising you at your current state, with 3 successes or a 20 stabilising you. Any last stand mechanic (Half Orc Relentless, Barbarian feature, Samurai) will kick in at 0 wounds before Death Saves start.

4) Hit Dice expended to heal VP are taken from your Wounds total until they are restored. You regain Wound Points at Con modifier/long rest. Negative Con lengthens the number of long rests required.

Immediate thoughts are that this makes Greatswords better Wounding Weapons then Greataxes, which irks me a little bit, but there is the trade off between burning through your enemies vitality (great axe spike damage) vs. stable damage with devastating wounds.

This also makes Paladin critical smites doubling dice fairly brutal (it can be up to 10d8 with a 5th level slot, if I recall correctly, plus the 4d6 if a Greatsword is being used). A critical Sneak attack can also do similar damage as well.

The idea of the "keep fighting during death saves" is to keep characters doing interesting things during a fight.

Things I am not certain on is that while using a number of dice = wounds damage works well, I don't know if that number is too low. A solution with this is probably to maximise VP , since a 5% chance of critical hits on average still makes VP the primary defense. An option is to have Wound Points scale with Hit Dice size (d6 HD = 1 WP, d8 HD = 2 WP, d10 HD = 3 WP, and d12 = 4 WP). Then you burn an equvilent number of wound points to heal yourself, regardless of your class HD. So a wizard can restore 1d12 VP if they sacrifice 4 WPs, but it is a bigger drain on resources.

Thank you for you thoughts on this idea.

-Mith

Cespenar
2018-05-14, 08:12 AM
I don't understand why you're using a dice based system. That's needlessly complicated, and the existing VP system back in 3.5 (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/adventuring/vitalityAndWoundPoints.htm) is both easier to understand and to implement.

Afrodactyl
2018-05-14, 08:56 AM
I simply use 90% of your HP pool to represent getting winded, bumps, bruises, nicks and small cuts, grazes, being knocked off balance, etc. All very minor injuries (if they're even injuries at all) that would slowly wear you down.

The last 10% is when you really start getting hurt before collapsing and being incapable of fighting or otherwise assisting the party.

Of course, crits are proper injuries regardless of what HP pool it is.

Mith
2018-06-02, 03:10 PM
Thanks for the replies! Ended up forgetting about this thread when I was away for a while.

I don't understand why you're using a dice based system. That's needlessly complicated, and the existing VP system back in 3.5 (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/adventuring/vitalityAndWoundPoints.htm) is both easier to understand and to implement.

My reasoning for a dice based system is due to the high amount of damage that a Paladin smite, Barbarian Brutal Critical, or Rogue Sneak Attack can do greatly out pacing the Wounds pool. Using number of dice instead allows for one to decide to do lasting damage, or to burn away at the vitality pool until regular hits start doing wound damage.

The idea of tying Hit Dice to this is to make a choice of trading off between Wounds and Vitality.

I simply use 90% of your HP pool to represent getting winded, bumps, bruises, nicks and small cuts, grazes, being knocked off balance, etc. All very minor injuries (if they're even injuries at all) that would slowly wear you down.

The last 10% is when you really start getting hurt before collapsing and being incapable of fighting or otherwise assisting the party.

Of course, crits are proper injuries regardless of what HP pool it is.

This is the standard way to do it. My reasoning for avoiding injury tables is because PCs get more attacks against them then they deal out, so they are more likely to be maimed.

Thank you again for the replies!

Malifice
2018-06-02, 04:24 PM
Why?

We already have a wounds and vitality system (also with a luck and combat skill element).

Its called hit points .

It models all that and more, with far less hassle while allowing far more narrative power.

Eric Diaz
2018-06-02, 04:31 PM
I like, it, it has potential.

IMO it would be a lot easier to leave HP untouched, and use Constitution + HD as "actual wounds", with no easy way to bypass HP - except, maybe, for falling, starvation, dehydration, etc.

So, 0 HP, you start taking actual damage AS IF you're taking HP damage. Maybe you roll to see if you stay awake and able, etc.

3rd level, Con 12 characters would only have 15 wounds - a single blow from a battleaxe might kill him (specially on a crit).

When its time to recover, you recover the expect number of HD, but you can either use them to repair Wounds (1-for-1) or to repair HP.

Maybe you're forced to split half and half, or recover all wounds before recovering HP, etc.

The game becomes very deadly to 0 HP characters who insist on fighting on... but I like that!

Mith
2018-06-02, 07:03 PM
I like, it, it has potential.

IMO it would be a lot easier to leave HP untouched, and use Constitution + HD as "actual wounds", with no easy way to bypass HP - except, maybe, for falling, starvation, dehydration, etc.

So, 0 HP, you start taking actual damage AS IF you're taking HP damage. Maybe you roll to see if you stay awake and able, etc.

3rd level, Con 12 characters would only have 15 wounds - a single blow from a battleaxe might kill him (specially on a crit).

When its time to recover, you recover the expect number of HD, but you can either use them to repair Wounds (1-for-1) or to repair HP.

Maybe you're forced to split half and half, or recover all wounds before recovering HP, etc.

The game becomes very deadly to 0 HP characters who insist on fighting on... but I like that!

My reasoning for using HD as a Wound pool is so that you can take a long time to recover. With this system idea, you usually only regain half your HD per long rest. Perhaps you also regain Con mod Wound Points per Long rest. Continuing from this, if you are at full Wound Points, you regain Con mod HP.

I am aiming for a 3 tiered system, (HP, Wounds, Death Spiral, where one feeds into the other).

Edit: With this system, I would also change up weapons to have similar weapons differentiated between being better for HP damage vs. Wound damage.

Example of the current table is the Great Sword is better at Wounding vs. a Great Axe which has better spike damage vs. Wounds pool.

As for not using the standard VP & Wounds is that there is essentially "5% of dropping anyone", which I dislike.

JNAProductions
2018-06-02, 08:41 PM
Fighting Spirit? (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?558375-Fighting-Spirit-II-Electric-HP-A-Loo)