PDA

View Full Version : Duskblade with familiar?

Jack_McSnatch
2018-05-13, 02:31 PM
Me again. We hit level 9 in our story circle, and I'm wondering... Well it says it in the title. My character has a young wolf that he's basically engineering into a magical beast. I don't want to cross class him anymore, but I'd like to make magic doge some kind of significant animal. I thought, why not an improved familiar? It uses my BaB, gets half my HP, can deliver spells and use its bite attack to do it. I see almost no downside... Except the two feats I'd have to spend. Is it worth it this late in the game, or am I gonna wish I'd spent those feats on something more useful?

Nifft
2018-05-13, 02:35 PM
Familiars are great. Having one is worth more than a typical feat, so there ought to be no regret on that front.

Improved Familiar is not as big a boon as Obtain Familiar, but it's not bad. However your wolf wouldn't be among the better Improved Familiar choices.

Have you considered making your wolf a Wild Cohort? That's just one feat (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031118a).

heavyfuel
2018-05-13, 02:44 PM
A Familiar in combat is a big risk. They normally don't have as many defensive capabilities as you do and few HP. The worst part is that if they die, you not only lose XP, but you also lose access to 2 feats for an entire YEAR. I would honestly never have my familiar in combat unless absolutely necessary.

That said, I second Wild Cohort.

Jack_McSnatch
2018-05-13, 03:30 PM
I should clarify she isn't a normal wolf. I've been feeding her potions and giving her regular magical buffs under a strict regimen. It's a... Slightly more ethical wizard experiment, cause she's still his dog and he treats her that way. We've decided that this process will make grow up to be essentially a good aligned worg or winter wolf. She'll be a magical beast so I'm not sure she qualifies for wild cohort.

Edit: Though you were right, I don't want her dying and taking a bunch of xp and two feats with her. Can familiars wear barding like a horse?

ranagrande
2018-05-13, 04:28 PM
In that case, maybe Leadership to make it a regular cohort?

Crake
2018-05-13, 08:35 PM
In that case, maybe Leadership to make it a regular cohort?

Leadership is definitely the way to go, neither worgs nor winter wolves qualify as familiars in any capacity.

RedWarlock
2018-05-14, 12:17 AM
Leadership is definitely the way to go, neither worgs nor winter wolves qualify as familiars in any capacity.

Yes they do, they're both on the expanded list of improved familiars in Complete Warrior, page 100.