PDA

View Full Version : Should twin be one roll or two?

PeteNutButter
2018-05-14, 08:10 AM
Should twin be one roll or two?

Simple question, not sure if there is a simple answer.

If you cast fireball, you deal damage to all targets with one roll usually for speed of gameplay. If you twin a firebolt do you just roll attack and damage once?

I don't think there is a RAW answer per say, but I'm curious how people play it.

nickl_2000
2018-05-14, 08:26 AM
I think it should be two rolls since you are throwing out 2 firebolts. Based on other examples of things that shoot off two or more bolts (eldritch blast and scorching ray), you make a spell attack with each one.

Just my 2 cents

PeteNutButter
2018-05-14, 09:03 AM
I think it should be two rolls since you are throwing out 2 firebolts. Based on other examples of things that shoot off two or more bolts (eldritch blast and scorching ray), you make a spell attack with each one.

Just my 2 cents

That's my general thought, but I'm not sure. What about spells that deal damage with save instead of attack roll, like disintegrate? They are similar to fireball, so one damage roll?

There is some precedent for one attack against multiple targets, via the ranger features.

nickl_2000
2018-05-14, 09:11 AM
That's my general thought, but I'm not sure. What about spells that deal damage with save instead of attack roll, like disintegrate? They are similar to fireball, so one damage roll?

There is some precedent for one attack against multiple targets, via the ranger features.

Ranger feature vs other spells. I would argue that it's still spells.

For disintegrate I would roll two sets of damage as well. My mind cannon of twin spells means that you are actually casting two copies of it at once.

To make this completely clear as mud, there is a sageadvice tweet from MM saying you make 2 attack roles. On the other hand, you only make one concentration check to hold concentration on a twinned haste or polymorph

DMThac0
2018-05-14, 10:42 AM
My take:

Spell with Save: 2 opposing rolls, one damage roll

Spell with To Hit: 2 rolls to hit, 2 damage rolls

JakOfAllTirades
2018-05-14, 01:55 PM
The PHB says that Twin spell allows you to target a second creature with the same spell. So I'd handle it the same way I handle any other spell that effects multiple targets.

But that tends to vary from one table to another. Use your own best judgement.